430 Spider 6 speed | Page 2 | FerrariChat

430 Spider 6 speed

Discussion in '360/430' started by SCOTT360, Nov 16, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #26 TheMayor, Nov 25, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    Here is the problem

We are getting older. Those of use who like manuals are getting to the point where its getting hard to do. Put most 70 year olds (and I'm almost one of them) into a Countach and see how well they like pushing the clutch pedal in traffic. They may have the money. It may have been a poster on their bedroom wall when they were a kid. But times have changed.

And those of us who were born 20 years ago never saw a manual. Would you plunk down a ton of money on a car you have to be taught to drive? Oh what fun for a beginner being on a hill and trying to feather the clutch to avoid running into the front of the SUV right on your tail behind you.

Today there's more and more emphasis today on "0-60" times than driving experience. Its inevitable that this will translate over into the classic market in coming years.

Besides, there are a TON of manual cars in the classic market going back to the 50's. The F430 is just one of them.

BTW: I am planning on buying one of these new Nissan Z's only because it has a manual. But its not a classic and I don't mind what happens to it. Its disposable but I think it will be fun to drive with 400 hp. Is an F430 manual "disposable"?

2. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Misconception as a Countach wouldn't be used in a manner where it would face regular traffic. Combined with advances in medicine, guys can drive older cars later in life than ever before.

Zed82 and EastMemphis like this.
  3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Look... the target audience market for classic manual cars is FALLING while the number of classic manual cars ISN'T. In fact, with restorations ongoing, I'm guessing its growing.

That's a fact.

brookliner7 likes this.
  4. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Same can be said for stocks, houses etc. millennials don’t like to drive, millennials don’t invest like we do, etc

In the end there will be enough people with resources and the scarcity will drive values up. Whether it beats the market, real estate etc. doesn’t matter to me as it has utility to me and is desirable to me. Until it’s not and I sell for market price.

Please sincerely educate me - aside from tulips - what has escalated in this domain and become less that value able.

So the manual will have a premium until they 3D print kits and everyone who wants one can have one and the conversion is plentiful and the value drop to the F1. Maybe.

That said the OP is wrestling with keeping something he no lingers values for its role in his life and moving on. It speaks to the mayors point. At some point (now?) dct NA has become the new vintage and is having appreciation. We will see. In the end a thing is worth what you’re willing to pay to have it.

Happy US Thanksgiving ! And to all of our global community I am thankful for your perspective, input, knowledge and participation here.

ScottS

Texas Forever likes this.
  5. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Has nothing to do with my statement.....maybe you meant to quote someone else

6. SCOTT360

SCOTT360 Rookie

Nov 15, 2009
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Scott Weinstein
    Wife told me to keep it. SO I AM!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

paulchua, RedTaxi and mchas like this.
  7. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Congrats again then!! Awesome!

8. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    All this "millennials don't drive sticks.." is being spewed by Geritol chewing old geezers on the way to a bingo game. *jk*

We all know about the millennials that area walking around in with their stupid handlebar mustaches waxing about how one day they're going to own a Tesla and have their own craft brewery etc. etc. These peeps are the SAME as the Gen X and Boomers that instead of a Tesla, dreamed about owning a Beemer and a winery. Well those old grey haired peeps are driving from their bingo game in their new 5-series at 5 miles below the speed limit. I was behind two of them yesterday. I was also behind two very slow Tesla drivers 30 years their junior.

Point is, in both generations the Ferrari OWNERS were the ones that did learn to drive stick and were enthusiasts. Most people can't drive, don't want to drive and don't care. The minority in a generation that are cars guys are the ones that actually want a Ferrari or exotic and will make it happen (you can see them at C+C in a modded JDM). To everyone else its a status symbol. Those manual guys will be present in every generation. They'll (we'll) still watch F1 and know how to change the oil. The difference is the manual honda or camry will be simply gone and the people who would buy a car like that won't have to learn how to drive it (here in the US that is).

EastMemphis likes this.
  9. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Nice addition and well done on keeping the 430. Be interesting in a years time as to which one interests you more. If I was alive and still driving my manual 430 in 30 years time I would be way cooler than anyone in their latest whatever car. 0-60 who cares. 430 is plenty fast. The new Monza SP3 is 1 second faster than my 430. All that money and tech for 1 second.

10. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    When it comes to Ferrari, if you follow your heart then that is not crazy. If you follow a bunch of internet posters, then that is crazy.

paulchua likes this.
  11. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    F8 is a Toyota. Most boring exotic ever..other then anything from McLaren. These are not cars anymore. They are computer chips with a steering wheel.

EnzoItaly likes this.
  12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    a few more for ya...
    "Won't buy unless Pininfarina"
    "Won't buy a Fiat owned Ferrari"
    "Won't buy a fuel injected Ferrari"
    "Won't buy a 4wd Ferrari"
    "Won't buy a 4 seat Ferrari"
    "Won't buy a Ferrari with power steering"
    "Won't buy a Ferrari with traction control"
    "Won't buy a Ferrari when Enzo's dead"
    "Won't buy a Ferrari when it goes public"
    "Won't buy a fully electric Ferrari"

What cracks me up is, that's fine - you do you. Nobody stops a person from getting a 330 GTC over an SF90.

13. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    May I ask what were the original reasons the thought crossed your mind? I think context is the very important. For example, I know of some gentlemen that sold their cars simply because ingress/egress was no longer possible without the possibility of injury.

That's as good a reason as any in my book.