430 Spider convertible top replacement | FerrariChat

430 Spider convertible top replacement

Discussion in '360/430' started by AGP22, Apr 28, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AGP22

AGP22 Rookie

Oct 24, 2006
    Hi everybody.

Has anyone here had any replacement top installed in their 360/430?

If so, can you advise the brand and the results?

Many thanks

2. shad99

shad99 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Japatul Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Haven't done it yet but have done some research. Here's what I found:

-The overwhelming choice for a replacement top is one made by GAHH. I got this from several installers, including the one Ferrari of San Diego uses. The GAHH top comes with new cables and springs sewn in and new elastic straps. (There are six elastic straps, which are critical to proper operation - good pics of these in the workshop manual)

-Prices are all over the place, even for the same item. The range I have seen is $1800 - $3500. I found eight manufactures who fabricate the top. There are probably more since the pattern is out there. According to my installer, some are truly junk and about impossible to install. So beware the $1600 Ebay special. (I queried five Ebay sellers and only one would provide the manufacturers name.)

-Cabrioworld, a site sponsor, has the best price for a GAHH top that I found at $2003.00. By contrast, Convertible Top guys sells for $2700 and Duetto Motors is $2900.

-Figure 10-12 hours labor for the installation, so about $1000 in these parts. This from the top manufacturer and several installers.

-After I get this done, I'll take the car to the shop to thoroughly ring out the top and verify proper operation. This seems like the thing to do since you have just changed a lot of the forces working on this, e.g. cables, springs, elastic straps and new fabric.

Hope this helps and hopefully some responses to your post will be forthcoming.

Regards, Andy

3. unreelviper

unreelviper Karting

Jan 9, 2014
    DMV
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks Andy! My top on my 2005 F430 is in desperate need of replacing. This information is very helpful.

4. AGP22

AGP22 Rookie

Oct 24, 2006
    Thanks for the info. I had seen this text in another thread and I might just do that.

Have you ever seen one of these GAHH tops? Do you know for sure that they fit, and most important, they actually operate as intended?

It worries me to read in most of these suppliers that they will not accept returns if there was an attempt to install. How can you find out if they fit if you don't attempt to install?

5. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks Andy, very useful. Really good price as well.

6. shad99

shad99 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Japatul Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    From my discussions with installers, particularly Euro Trim of San Diego (Ferrari's installer) the GAHH top is high quality and accurate with no fitment issues. They have done several. I'd recommend giving Cabriot World a call re the return issue. They were very helpful when I discussed this with them. They do warrant the tops for fitment as does Convertible Top Guys.

Regards, Andy

7. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    good info thanks

8. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

+1 on GAHH recommendation.

9. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    You will be happy with the GAHH top. They stand behind their product. I just had my top on my 360 replaced with a GAHH top. The only difference from OEM is the new top is missing the prancing horse in the plastic window. My installer could not complete the install to my liking so GAHH had me bring the car to them and they made it right at no additional cost.

10. sleepinglh

sleepinglh Karting

Jul 30, 2015
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Q
    10-12hours for a soft top install... wow never thought it was that much work.

11. Mel Spillman

Mel Spillman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2012
    Sugar Land, Tx
    I'm getting ready to replace my top also. All this info is very helpful. Has anyone purchased a top from Topsonline? Their price is about $1700.

12. Bob in Makiki

Bob in Makiki Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    OK, this is interesting to me. Where do you see the little prancing horse in the plastic window? I'm pretty sure the window in my car is original, but I can't find a little horse on mine (I do see one on the glass windows, so I think I have an idea what it might look like). Where should I be looking, and are you sure it is on all the original tops? Maybe the window has been replaced on mine, which would be a surprise to me.

13. donho

donho Karting

Oct 11, 2006
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Pretty sure there's no horse in my window and I bought my 360 Spider new from a dealer in 2001. As for labor hours, I recently replaced the top on my DBS in my garage. It took me 9 hours, including cleanup, and I had to figure things out on the fly. I'm sure a professional could remove and install the same top in 4 or less. But, hey, I was quoted $4500 to install the top with my own parts, so . . . Finally, I'd say $2000 is cheap for a proven part, so why shop around. The GAHH recommendation seems solid!

Bob in Makiki likes this.
  14. leonhsph

leonhsph Rookie

Jul 9, 2021
    Full Name:
    Larry Leon

15. leonhsph

leonhsph Rookie

Jul 9, 2021
    Full Name:
    Larry Leon
    Any updates on top replacement outcomes? I'm in SD area looking to replace the top on my 2005 F430. Dealer of course is outrageous ($20k range), but I hear mixed reviews about the after-market tops.

Many thanks!

16. mick_harrogate@btinternet

Aug 3, 2017
    UK
    My 430 Spider is currently at the dealers here in the UK for work on the roof. New hinges are on order from Italy but I'm also advised that the elastic straps are worn. They say they can try & fix them but can't guarantee success.
    The also say that they can't be replaced and a new canvas will be needed.
    I can't believe that for the sake of 6 pieces of elastic I have to get a whole new roof !
    Is anyone aware of the elastic straps being replaced and would the worn straps lead to other parts in the roof mechanism failing?
    If the only alternative has to be a new roof then I think I would be inclined to just leave the roof permanently down.
    The car never goes out in the rain anyway.

17. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

worn straps will definitely cause issues. However, them telling you that you need a new top to replace the straps is BS. Theres a couple threads here that tackle replacing straps without a new top. It can be done for sure.

18. 430tdf

430tdf Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2008
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I saved these from Ferrari Chat for my personal use and delated everything that wasn't needed to do the actual work to make the document as small as possible, my apologies to the original posters.

Attached Files:

fossilfuel and Qavion like this.
  19. mick_harrogate@btinternet

Aug 3, 2017
    UK
    Thanks Lorenzo. That's very helpful. It'll be interesting to see the dealer's reaction.

20. Crimi al

Crimi al Rookie

Jun 10, 2023
    Full Name:
    Albert Crimi
    I have a 2007 F430, the convertible top is not opening properly can anyone recommend a reputable place in Toronto canada that specializes in ferrari tops?

21. GogglesPisano

GogglesPisano Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2022
    East Bay, California
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Might want to post in the regional section if you haven’t already.