Suspension thoughts | FerrariChat

Suspension thoughts

Discussion in '308/328' started by Sherstcp, Mar 25, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sherstcp

Sherstcp Karting

Dec 28, 2012
    Trying to choose between two suspension upgrades, Nick's and Varishock. Thoughts on differences? Anyone know the prices of each?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    We need to know if you are going to just show the car, cruise it, drive it briskly, occasionally do a track day or really track it hard.

What wheels and tires are you going to use to get to where you want to go???

The use dictates spring rate, shock choice, bushings, antiroll bar sizes and alignment settings.

So, whaddayawant :)

chris

Pics would be good too.

3. Sherstcp

Sherstcp Karting

Dec 28, 2012
    , I was just planning on lowering it about inch and a half 2 inches tops and having the ability to adjust the stiffness of the ride. That's about it. No track days, just having fun driving.

4. Sherstcp

Sherstcp Karting

Dec 28, 2012
    Oh...and I'll be keeping the original 17" wheels...85 QV :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    I would say if no track days the best settings and bushings are the ones Ferrari (who know a thing or two about suspension) used originally.

6. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert

+1, may want to consider a faster steering rack. There I said it.

7. ztarum

ztarum Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    South Jersey, USA
    I would agree with this. I put some stiffer springs on and firmed up the original shocks, but I will probably go back to the original set-up at some point. For street driving I don't think the performance improvement are worth the reduction in ride comfort.

8. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    What is your budget (and the way you'll drive, road only, track use as a percentage of total driving, etc).

More than just those two companies offer your application. Budget drives availability. For example, you can have active damping for around $8,000, driver tunable via smartphone. This would be like grafting 458 suspension technology to your car.

For half that we can do a Wilbers suspension out of Germany, Penske, etc.

Best,
    Rob

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

9. Sherstcp

Sherstcp Karting

Dec 28, 2012
    Truthfully, I want some adjustable coil overs, both in height (the main thing I'm going for) and ride. The car looks like it rides about an inch high, and there's NO way I'll consider hacking a stock spring. As others of the forum have stated, this isn't a Civic. Budget...no more than 2500

10. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

When were the bushing last changed in the suspension. $2500 is very limited I hate to say. I agree with others if just driving the car and some spirited drives stock will be the way to go. Best improvement to handeling will be new rubber and maybe a more modern setting on the suspension, but stiffning the ride will just make it less pleasurable to drive on the street.

I have an old TVR which had very stiff sprigs in the rear and we softened it up to make it more complient and the car handles better with just a bit better set up and slightly stiffer springs in the front. No more feelling the worms when i run them over.

11. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    The dialog on this topic have been discussed many 10's of times here. If one is going through the effort of replacing thier suspension bits, a little extra time and $$ should be spend on replacing the rubber bits, tie-rod ends, upper/lower ball joints, etc. You are already in there and the extra parts $$ in the long run isn't that much.

As for coilovers, the general consensus is the QA1's (you pick the springs) is the way to go. Buy the extensions from Verrell and call it good.

12. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Just renewing the bushings can make a huge difference in a car this old.
    Start small.

13. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

You can send your shocks to Carobu and they will make them adjustable.

14. Sherstcp

Sherstcp Karting

Dec 28, 2012
    That's the answer I was looking for, thanks. I had already planned on replacing all my bushings, etc, but needed an answer regarding adjustable shocks in ride stiffness AND height. I know Nick sells a set in the 2k's, but don't know how much the Varishocks are, and if one set is better than the otger

15. ztarum

ztarum Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    South Jersey, USA
  16. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
  17. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    I know Sherpa got the Wilbur's and was very happy with them.

18. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    Like Greg is saying - the QA-1 route is a known path and it works brilliantly. I drive mine rather... err... spirited. Going to some decent tires and adding QA-1's made a world of difference. Replacing the bushings with some poly bushings didn't do much, nor did swapping out to a stiffer rear anti-roll bar. I haven't gotten close to the limits of the QA-1's. They are pretty durable too - 30,000 miles on mine now with no sign of any degradation.

Including everything, the QA-1's will set you back in the order of $1k.

19. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I had the Ohlins set up on my 328 GTB and the Wilbers on the 308 GTB QV. For your budget, the Wilbers are unbeatable. From the quality of the parts to the actual function and performance, you can't do any better. And yes, they're adjustable in both height and ride. PM me and I'll give you the contact info.

20. Sherstcp

Sherstcp Karting

Dec 28, 2012
    So I've been looking at the QA1's and like what I see. Verell...is he the one to order paperweights, etc from? (Sorry Verell, not sure who you are just yet)

21. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
  22. Sherstcp

Sherstcp Karting

Dec 28, 2012
    A set of the lowered perches?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

23. scottabbott

scottabbott Karting

Dec 31, 2011
    Montgomery TX
    Full Name:
    Scott Abbott
    I am about to begin my suspension rebuild so I have been following this thread very closely. I made some of the spring perches that dropped the front giving me the stance I wanted. Now I am looking for the height adjustability and to get rid of the annoying bumps and raddles my age old suspension gives me during every drive. I do not plan to track my car so my selections are as follows:

From Unobtainium Supply (hope Verell has them in-stock)
    2x Paperweight shock eye $199.86 plus S&H
    QA! Shock adapter bushing (4 wheel set) $168.32 plus S&H

From Summit Racing (free shipping) I have not verified the thruster bearing or the spanner tool numbers.
    2x QA1 front shock HAL DS502 $319.94
    2x Front spring HAL 10-300 $75.94
    2x QA1 rear shock HAL DS402 $319.94
    2x Rear Spring HAL 12-250 $75.94
    4x Thruster Bearing shock adj HAL 7888-109 $103.88
    Spanner tool HAL T114W $14.97

From Energy Suspension
    Bushing Set for the inner A-arms B13.3101G $260. Plus S&H

I am still looking for the bushings for all parts on the front and rear sway bars.

I for one would greatly appreciate any model numbers, suggestions, or feedback that may help all on this thread.

Thanks.

24. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Cool what are the spring rates and let us know how it does.

25. scottabbott

scottabbott Karting

Dec 31, 2011
    Montgomery TX
    Full Name:
    Scott Abbott
    300 front and 250 for the rear.