Installing cargo cover | FerrariChat

Installing cargo cover

Discussion in '308/328' started by uberlink, Jun 28, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. uberlink

uberlink Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    Full Name:
    Mark Johnson
    Bought one of those new zippered cargo covers for $175 on eBay. No instructions came with, and mine is entirely missing so I don't have a example to follow. Can someone explain how it's done and maybe post a picture? Is it just held in by the weather stripping back there?

2. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

What the heck is a cargo cover. Are you talking about the bag you put the GTS roof into and set behind the seats?

3. Alfer

Alfer Formula 3

Sep 4, 2007
    NH/the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Menno
    #3 Alfer, Jun 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    assembling a new cover is easy but getting is cosmetically right, say tightly, requires patience.

I have done it because the zipper needed to be replaced so i replaced the original cover that showed clearly where it was originally folded over the rim.

The vinyl cover is just folded over the rim around the bagace space and clamped by the rubber that fits on top of that, as you can see on the pics below. Unfortunately will you discover that the vinyl cover is a bit tight(small) making that you puzzle a bit until you find the balance between left-right and front-rear.
    Just use ductape to keep the cover in place. I did not remove the duc tape after since I cutted the width to be fully covered by the rubber.

Success and have fun!
    Menno
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    I think he is talking about the zippered cover that fits over the trunk behind the engine.

Any decent interior guy can install it.

5. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oh..........Duh!!!!

6. uberlink

uberlink Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    Full Name:
    Mark Johnson

Thanks so much. This is exactly what I needed.

7. chrisbinsb

chrisbinsb F1 Rookie

Oct 20, 2011
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Chris B
    I used those large black paper clip things to get it places pretty much as I wanted then started working the new rubber strip in over it. Hardest part was getting it pressed down as it was pretty tight. If you are re-using your existing rubber strip it should be easier I would guess

8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Thats how I do it but it is supposed to be glued in place. With the spring clips I take a few off and using contact cement glue it in small sections.

9. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    i have the trunk cover but the zipper is not working well: i'm wondering if the zipper can be fixed/changed without changing all the cover and doing all this mess.

ciao

10. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    #10 GordonC, Jun 29, 2014
    Agreed, from posts here I gathered that a thin bead of adhesive is used around the lip - I used Goop. I installed the eBay cover last month, here's a few photos from that job. I used the binder clips to get the positioning and tension correct, then as Brian advises, removed the clips 1 or 2 at a time to allow short lengths to be glued and the seal strip pushed over top.

This is a really good time to replace the seal strip, if the rubber seal is worn out and tearing or separating!

Starting point - the original trunk cover, with failed zipper. To remove, you need to remove two Phillips screws by each latch, and remove the seal strip. The old cover is then peeled off the lip (you'll note the original is glued in place)

11. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    #11 GordonC, Jun 29, 2014
  12. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    #12 GordonC, Jun 29, 2014
    Here's the new cover being positioned with the binder clips. (You can see the roll of new trunk seal waiting to be installed.) The key to positioning is to get the latch openings properly located, then work out from there. It helps to have a good look at how the old cover's latch openings are positioned before removing the old cover.

Once you have the new cover positioned, you can screw in the Phillips screws by each latch.

13. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    very useful, Gordon: thank you very much.

ciao

14. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    #14 GordonC, Jun 29, 2014
  15. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    If it's just the zipper you could go for new zippers instead of a completely new cover. Search Zlideon on Ebay and you'll find them. I've used them and it works great.

They come in different sizes, colours and shapes. Be sure to get the right size: 5A.

Best, Peter

16. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Thanks, Peter

Ciao

17. Tricycle

Tricycle Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2004
    LA Cnty 4,083sqmiles
    Peter,

Are you sure it is 5A?

I only see 5 on ebay or amazon and 5A-2 when I google search.

http://www.zlideon.eu.com/HowToMeasureZlideon/tabid/316/Default.aspx

Thanks

18. Alfer

Alfer Formula 3

Sep 4, 2007
    NH/the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Menno
    I dare to say that I was years ago likely the 1st to find this solution BUT it only worked for about a year at my 328. Than I discovered that the plastic zipper (not the clip) was too much worn and I replaced the long zipper at a cloth repair shop that had experience with leather jackets (also tough material for a needle). The new zipper came from a camping/outdoor shop in the same width, colour and model but it was meant to be used for a sleeping bag since these also have 2 zippers moving in opposite direction however so i had to take a clip off to reverse it taking at least 2 minutes. This I did years ago.

19. newark_308

newark_308 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Newark DE
    Full Name:
    Glenn Frenck
    Just got one of these for Christmas from my daughters, the seal came off easy, but from reading your message not sure how to peal up the glued vinyl. It's on and doesn't show any signs of coming off when tugged on. Admittedly gently tugged on.....
    Any tips on getting the glued on vinyl off?
    Thanks

20. newark_308

newark_308 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Newark DE
    Full Name:
    Glenn Frenck
    Any tips about how to get the old cover off? Did you cut and leave it folded over the lip and glue the new one over it? Any and all tips welcomed

21. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    I haven't tried it myself, but one owner said he used his wife's steamer, placed the nozzle closed to the fabric opening and kept on steaming and pulling. The steam loosens the adhesive on the fabric.

22. wkumari

wkumari Karting

Jul 15, 2011
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Warren

Where are folk getting the seal / what size seal works?

I have an issue where the weather stripping / seal is a bit too high - I've adjusted the trunk mechanism (and U bolts) as far as they will safely go, but it still requires me *really* pushing on the trunk lid to close it.

I did find that some of the little metal "fingers" inside the seal had bent into the channel at the corners, and were stopping the seal from going all the way down, but even after removing them, and hitting the seal into place with a rubber mallet hasn't fully fixed it -- I think my rubber seal is just too tall...

W

23. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
  24. chrisbinsb

chrisbinsb F1 Rookie

Oct 20, 2011
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Chris B

I had the same issue with mine - best I could do was adjust the bolts and it would just catch. Hoped after that that the seal would compress over time.

25. rkljr

rkljr Formula Junior

May 16, 2011
    South of Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I removed mine a few weeks back. The engine was warm as I had just returned and that may help.

Like most things, patience. I would try a little heat (hair dryer, heat gun, warm engine) and then gently peel up the outer edges a little a time while working your way around.