456 Air Bag Fault | FerrariChat

456 Air Bag Fault

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Andy456GTA, May 25, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Andy456GTA

Andy456GTA Rookie

May 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Andy McKenny
    I wonder if someone can help...

456 GTA (1997)

Have an air bag fault indicated on the dash.

Car was at local dealer for diagnosing the fault - they just said "entire system needs replaced" and refused to say which component was faulty.

A friend will lend me a Leonardo for the weekend with the Ferrari diagnostics for 456,

Can anyone run me through how to test the Airbag computer ?

cheers.

2. Andy456GTA

Andy456GTA Rookie

May 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Andy McKenny
    Some progress
    attached is the screen from the Diagnostic.

Assuming it means the SRS ecu has a problem - can anyone confirm ?

Is this probability leaning towards the 3 electrolytic capacitors or something more complex.
    There is a device that looks like a flat disc battery on one side of the PCB.

Attached Files:

3. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Andy, without knowing the specifics of this fault I'd like to suggest that, in case the culprit turns out to be the Air Bag ECU/module, you can likely find a replacement that won't break the bank.

I seem to recall that these modules were shared with other vehicles at the time (Alfa Romeo comes to mind). Do a search on F-Chat as well as chase this lead on the Web and you'll likely find useful information. Again, IF it turns out to be the Air Bag ECU/module...

4. Andy456GTA

Andy456GTA Rookie

May 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Andy McKenny
    Even relating to say a 550/456....
    how does the 2 wire cable from the Airbag ECU end up driving the Dash Warning lamp
    I need to chase a possible wiring fault.

Is there some interconnect between the Abag ECU and the dash wiring in/around the relay board in the passenger footwell ?
    Or
    the pin our of the yellow ABag connector (yes the airbags are unplugged)