456 Auto Transmission Fear | FerrariChat

456 Auto Transmission Fear

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by POLO35, Oct 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    Hey guys. Currently own a Ferrari 348 and I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a 456 automatic to add to the stable. All I hear is "do not buy one with an automatic transmission". And understandably, because parts are not available and repairs are extremely costly. So my question is, what exactly are the options if you buy one and the transmission takes a crap? Is there anyone sourcing Parts like friction plates Etc? Or is your only option Salvage? I have rebuilt late model MBZ Transmissions in my own garage they're actually quite simple.... it's just a bunch of friction plates no....different than the clutch basket on a motorcycle... but you got to be able to get the parts. Thanks in advance. Matt.

2. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    there are tons of these cars parted out... so finding one from a yard should be easy

the tranny is a GM unit.

3. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    I heard something about the transmission was made in the UK parts were absolutely NLA but I did hear that there was a GM tranny that was switchable but that seems very uncertain is this for sure? Part #?

4. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    PS..... when the tranny goes on these what typically goes is it friction plates, valve body, pump or other? Just want to do a little due diligence before I pull the trigger on one.

5. arkferrari

arkferrari Karting
    BANNED

Feb 9, 2004
    Hot Springs, AR
    Full Name:
    B.F. Mitchell
    Basis of transmission is GM 4T80E with a custom designed bell housing (to account for placement under the back seats). Majority of internal parts are replaceable with GM parts but NOT ALL. Rebuilds are possible without problems other than the need for custom gaskets. Labor is expensive since several hours are needed to remove the rear bumper assembly to allow access. This transmission is very sturdy and dependable; don't let the "horror" stories deter you from considering a 456M GTA purchase with a good recorded history.

ross likes this.
  6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    There is a really good thread on what standard GM parts can be used to keep the Ricardo/GM GTA transmission in good shape. Thought I saved a Word version of it but cannot find it. Definitely worth a search for any GTA owner. We used to get good advice from the original designer of the system, but unfortunately he is no longer with us.

In general, these transaxles have been very reliable.

7. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Taz, this might be the thread you're looking for: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/456gta-transmission-service.455592/.

Chip McLeod is the SC FCA President and has a lot of DIY experience servicing these transmissions, and if you search under his two UserNames ChipM, and chipmcleod you'll probably find some good stuff.

Adrian Turner was the guy with Ricardo who knew these transmissions inside/out and he posted some great information here, in 2-3 posts, but it appears they've been deleted or lost in space after the forum reorganization.

paulchua likes this.
  8. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    John- Thanks, and that also helped me find the Word document I knew I had. Renamed it and put it in another place so I can find it more easily.

Attached Files:

paulchua likes this.
  9. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    Awesome Thank you all! I would not be able to afford to own and service these cars about this wealth of information.

10. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    it works just fine.
    just buy it.

11. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Buy. The car should be a dream to drive with a real oil pan automatic and that smooth engine.

12. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    whatever happened to the guy asking about a 6 speed swap...

13. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Henry- I think he was discouraged. Much, much more difficult to do than a 575M F1 to 3 pedal change.

14. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Every time I see a 456 with an automatic I quickly turn the page. But then it dawned on me that I really enjoy driving my automatic 3 series BMW. Maybe it would be a totally awesome experience. Certainly worth checking out.

Mirek likes this.
  15. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    The corvette and 456 have the same layout. If the 456 took a dump I would try and retrofit the A6 vette box into the 456. All you would need is a custom torque tube/drive shaft/ adapter plate made. I would use a vette torque tube unit and modify the front to mate to the back of the 456 motor. Lots of people make custom bellhouses for all kinds of swaps so it is nothing new. The side-efect would be a killer tranny and paddles that shift about as fast as early 360 ferrari technology because the A6 is tuneable in the aftermarket.

Mirek, Auraraptor and F456M like this.
  16. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    FBB- Even though it only has a 4 speed automatic, the transmission is very well adapted to the torque characteristics of the F116 V12. A 6 speed, or even one of the new 10 speeds fitted to C7 Corvettes, would be very interesting, though.

17. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    I was completely the opposite. I wanted a GTA for highway travel and inside DC’s beltway. It is a dream to drive.

F456M likes this.
  18. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I like your imagination and ideas. Slightly off the topic, my dream is to make a custom belhousing so that a 456 V12 will fit to the transom of a MerCruiser Bravo drive unit. They have to flat points within the boat (on the transom) that you put the MerCruiser bellhousing onto and put a long bolt through to fasten the engine to the boat + two more engine mounts under the front half of the engine. This way, one could have an awesome engine that revs much more than the GM 5,7 - 6,2 and 8,1 liter V8s that Merc use. Also leave the problems of single camshaft and pushrods behind. And save a lot of weight going from cast iron to Italian alloy :)

19. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    That would be as cool toy! But Ferrari motors can barely survive the street. The water would kill one and quickly. Get a good radio and "vessel assist" or stay within sight of shore. Personally, I love Ferraris, maseratis, alfas and ducatis but I don't want to be in an Italian boat or an Italian plane.

BOKE likes this.
  20. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I rely 100% on this generation V12 with mechanic throttle body. The solution to corrotion is to have a heat exchanger that cools the coolant with seawater like on most other boat engines. It should be possible to cut a GM marine housing and weld it to the clutch housing.

21. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I took a chance and bought a '19 mustang GT with 10speed autobox as my next SCCA racecar. I took it out with 100miles on the clock for a trackday shakedown before stripping it for its rollcage. I am totally impressed with the 10 speed. The Ford/GM collaboration on the 10 is well done. Their target was the porsche PDK and they nailed it. The 10speed does everything the PDK does manual shifting just as fast and holding gears with slushbox reliability and only oil change as maintenance. It even uses cheapo Ford HTLV trans fluid! I just need to figure out where to mount the giant trans cooler to keep temps in the zone and I'm good. But cooling is a problem with any streetcar turned racecar. I honestly don't know why GM is putting the DCT in the C8 vette when their 10speed is so good.

22. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    FBB- I think the 8 speed DCT weighs quite a bit less than the 10 speed automatic and does not require a torque converter so takes up less space, too. It shifts faster, too, as long as the next shift is in the correct direction for the preselect. Shift times are so low in the latest DCTs and autos, though, that there is not that much difference.

23. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    You know, I have been thinking the same thing for years! A proper auto would really liven up a GTA