456 buying advice? | FerrariChat

456 buying advice?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Dan_London, Mar 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dan_London

Dan_London Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    Sussex, UK
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Guys, Like Spie I too am about to abandon Porker ownership in favour of a Ferrari.

Does anyone have any specific buying advice regarding the 456?

From reading the archives here I know to check the following:

1) Side windows - has the car had 'the fix', what are the gaps like?
    2) Rear shocks - replaced recently? Evidence of leaking?
    3) Rear screen - layers separating?
    4) Radiator - evidence of grounding wear?
    5) Centre console - bubbling on air-con unit?

My budget is £50K and there seem to be a good selection of 456s at this money. This'll be my first FCar so I'm keen not to get burnt by the experience as Porker owners constantly warn me I will!

There seem to be two opinions floating around - either the 456 is there with the 550/575 as the most expensive modern Ferrari to maintain, or the build quality of V12s is better than the V8s, so you should get less trouble. Anyone?

Cheers for any advice offered,
    Dan
    (Tower Bridge, London)

2. exiges

exiges Karting

Feb 26, 2004
    Midlands
    Full Name:
    David Brown
    Are you going for a 456 because of their price, or do you prefer one over a 550 ? Higher mileage 550s are certainly within the 50k or so budget.

I've heard 456 steering racks aren't cheap to fix, and don't last too long (but that may be just pub talk)

3. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    The later the model the better. M is best

4. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    You'd be lucky to get an M for £50k

Do you really need the extra seats, or might a 550 Maranello be an option- a more focused drivers car, and nearly available within your budget...

5. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    And the 550 has just been voted the best drivers car of the last 10 years by EVO magazine, whose opinions I respect.

I'd certainly expect to pay more to run a 456/550 than a V8. No differences in build quality IMO.

www.verdiferrari.biz have a menu pricing scheme that will give you a pointer as to relative servicing costs.

Good luck in your quest... whatever you decide to do I'm sure it will give you much joy.

Robert.

6. Dan_London

Dan_London Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    Sussex, UK
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Guys I'd love a Maranello! A 550/575 in Grigio Alloy is one of the most arresting things you can see on the road and I've heard it's better than sex to drive! However, I'm wary of buying at the bottom end of any market, they only just seem to be nuzzling £50K from private sellers, usually for left-hookers.

To be honest I don't really need the extra seats, but I love the 456 shape and overall package - I was totally smitten after Clarkson's Top Gear test when they first came out, but didn't have the readies then.

Thanks for the steering rack heads-up exiges, I'll add that to the list.

Cheers all.
    D

7. exiges

exiges Karting

Feb 26, 2004
    Midlands
    Full Name:
    David Brown
    Top Marques has one 550 up for £54K (Private sale) and another up for £57K (Trade) and both are RHD. It all depends on how good you are at haggling and how much they're prepared to move, but I reckon you could get a good couple of £thousand off each.

The £57K car is in Grigio Titanium.. oh boy, does it look nice .. and I would probably have bought it, had I not gone for a 360 Spidey