456 door panel removal | FerrariChat

456 door panel removal

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by mibi, Aug 29, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mibi

mibi Karting

Apr 20, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Anyone know the trick to removing door panels on 456? I have removed lower screws on bottom of door, and the handle nut located inside the armrest. what else needs to be done to remove it easily? The parts catalog pics arent helping me figure this out.

2. deanhalter

deanhalter Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2008
    Norco, CA
    Full Name:
    Dean Halter
    #2 deanhalter, Aug 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Start with the armrest, on the bottom of it a screw that will remove the pad and give you access to the rear bolt. If you removed the bolt that holds the door handle, you will see a bolt there as well. Before you remove it, pop out the window switches. YOu need to grab the the switch itself, the part that will operate the window. Pull up and back; the front will lift, then pull toward the front while pulling up and the swtich will come out. Remember black is for the driver's side window, red for pasenger. A few pics showing the pad with the armrest removed as well as the door handle:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. deanhalter

Dec 27, 2008
    Norco, CA
    Full Name:
    Dean Halter
    #3 deanhalter, Aug 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Once you get the 10 mm nut off the stud at the rear and the small allen bolt at the fron of the armrest, you can remove it. It has a hook at the front, slide it down ad back to disengage it. This will allow you to see the 10mm nut behind the armrest; remove this and you are done.

To remove the panel, pull the lower edge away from the door and slide it down to disengage the tabs at the top. You now need to feed the door handle through the hole in the panel; there is a steel edge there so be careful not to damage the handle.

You will now have the panel separated from the car and you will note that the computer for the windows is mounted to the panel and you have to remove the peaker wire as well.

The window computer's wires can be removed in any order with no ill efects as far as I can tell, I would just try to refrain from touching any of the pins...

If this seems detailed it's because I just pulled my driver's side off today; window won't roll up...

Qavion likes this.
  4. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Hello Dean, could you post a picture of what the door looks like after you pull the door panel off? I am interested in how the plastic behind it is supposed to sit exactly. Thanks!

5. deanhalter

Dec 27, 2008
    Norco, CA
    Full Name:
    Dean Halter
    I have few pics of the bare door but none with the plastic weatherguard in place; mine was missing. I wil post them up later today.

6. Davidspop

Davidspop Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Lance Malcolm
    I know this is really old...but great details on removing door panels on 456!

7. 456dreamer

456dreamer Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 19, 2021
    Aptos, CA
    Full Name:
    Menko
    Just read through this thread as well, indeed very helpful. I have a rattle in the passenger door and there is a gap between the actual panel and the top section that stays on the door. I will follow this sequence and see how things go. So it may be more than 10yrs old, still VERY helpful. Thanks!!