456 GT(A) or 456M GT(A) | FerrariChat

456 GT(A) or 456M GT(A)

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by SimonA, Sep 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SimonA

SimonA Karting

Sep 2, 2004
    Wilton, Ct.
    Full Name:
    Simon Adams
    F-Chat,
    I am thinking of buying a 456. I am asking for guidance from anyone who owns one now or has owned one.
    First question is 456 GT vs. 456M GT, pros / cons?
    Second Auto vs. 6 speed, pros / cons?

I will let all of you know, I have always loved manual trans. I do plan on using the 456 as a daily driver. I do drive in rush hour traffic. I want a car that is fun to drive, has nice ride, comfortable, and is usable. My reason for choosing the 456 is I do like the 2+2 coupe.

Are the rear seats usable? Please assist me. I look forward to hear from all of you.

2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Kep in mind that a replacement auto transmission will set you back about 52,000 dollars..

3. bobmarley

bobmarley Karting

Sep 1, 2004
    Hi, I just purchased a 1999 456M gta, but I probably woulnt have bought it with the 2 year warranty that i bought with it.

4. SimonA

SimonA Karting

Sep 2, 2004
    Wilton, Ct.
    Full Name:
    Simon Adams
    How do you like your 99? What made you choose the Auto? Why are you saying you might have changed your mind about the 2 yr. warranty? Thank you.

5. damcgee

damcgee Formula 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL
    I think what he meant to say is he would not have purchased the car without the warranty.

6. SimonA

SimonA Karting

Sep 2, 2004
    Wilton, Ct.
    Full Name:
    Simon Adams
    That is what I was hoping. Thanks. It did not make sense to me as to why you would not want the 2 yr warranty. Thank you again

7. winston

winston Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    foothills
    Full Name:
    don
    I have owned a 456mgt for 2and half years , it is a 1999 model. If you like to shift for yourself get a six speed. Please get your windows adjusted so your
    little finger cannot get in. Have the large coolant hose under the inlet manifold be upgraded and have the motor mounts and the rear shocks replaced.
    THe car is wonderful, except when you arrive at the fillling station, your mileage will run from 10, ok, Laguna Seca, to 17,@ 80 miles an hour on I 5.
    My three Bouviers love the car.
    Winston

8. SimonA

SimonA Karting

Sep 2, 2004
    Wilton, Ct.
    Full Name:
    Simon Adams
    Winston thank you for your imput. I do love to shift. Also people seem to be saying the auto is expensive if it breaks. Is this true? And why? You would think about the 6 speed being more expensive to fix. Can you please explain the things you talked about in more detail as to why change them or what issues happened before you change them or what one will avoid by doing them? Thank you again.

9. vinnycar

vinnycar Karting

Mar 7, 2004
    New Canaan, CT
    Full Name:
    Vincent Cardone
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=58&page=6&sort=lastpost&order=&pp=50&daysprune=-1

Check this tread out on recent discussion of 456GTA auto tranny replacement. Cost could run up to 75K USD. The best advice is to buy an auto only if you can get it covered by the FNA Powertrain Plus warranty and renew it every year until the car is 12 years old after which it will not qualify. By then there may be some aftermarket solution..someone also suggested conversion to a manual is possible at much lower cost.

Agree this is a great daily driver but it is still a Ferarri which limits practicality. I am also considering one..saw a beautiful 2002 MGTA today at a Lotus dealer, silver and black, list about 120K. But a fairly well optioned new loaded 2005 911S at 90K might be a wiser choice assuming you have an F-car already.

10. SMC

SMC Rookie

Nov 16, 2003
    I'm sorry, but......will someone please explain exactly what the difference is between a 456 and a 456M? Also, I assume the "A" stands for automatic?

TIA

11. SimonA

SimonA Karting

Sep 2, 2004
    Wilton, Ct.
    Full Name:
    Simon Adams
    Thank you for the link. I would rather have a 6 speed than the auto. I have driven the 997 S. It drives nicely, looks good, and has good standard equipment and options. The problem is I have children and need to have seats that my children can sit in and I can still be able to sit in the front. I have driven a Bentley Continential GT. It drives nicely and is very comfortable, but I like to shift. So I thought of the 456. Both the Bentley and 456 have I believe the ability to take luggage or stuff with you and put my children in the rear seats. What are your thoughts? Thank you again for your thoughts and the link.