456 GTA Gear shift lever question ? | FerrariChat

456 GTA Gear shift lever question ?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by spiderscott, Feb 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    Question on my new (and now running :D) 456 GTA:

On my car I am able to shift gears at any time (engine off or running) by moving the auto gear shifter, without pressing the button ?

Is this correct ? Looking at the owners manual it states that the 'button' need to be pressed in order to select/change gears ?

2. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    Ok for future reference I have fixed this.

Answer to my question is NO is definitely should not change gear without pressing the button (from Park, Reverse)

The problem was my Button (or the shaft which this presses underneath) was stuck in the down position.

I stripped the whole thing apart to eventually figure the problem. After trying many thing and lubricating the whole assembly. The simply cause of the problem was that the gear shaft (containing the rod the button pushes) was bent very very slightly forward. This in turn lower down in the assembly put adverse pressure on the slider (up and down) and made the rod jam down in the open position.

Fix was a small amount of brute force and bent the shaft back into the straight angle .....and there you go shaft works like a dream, engages , releases and above all safety locks the gear change so it cant be easily moved about .....especially by my young children.

I guess the initial cause was somehow it being slammed enough to bend the gear lever shaft and this in turn jammed the button rod down in the open position.

I really enjoy the simply cost free fixes !!

Scott
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

paulchua, Qavion and Mirek like this.
  3. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Plus, there is always something perversely satisfying about "beat to fit, paint to match" as the repair mantra....

4. Calyn

Calyn Rookie

Apr 14, 2020
    Full Name:
    Calyn Haley
    How did you remove the knob? I can’t figure out how to take it apart.

5. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Nice job man !

6. adrian456gta

adrian456gta Karting

Mar 23, 2017
    Kalgoorle Wa
    Full Name:
    Adrian Harper
    Mine does the same thing. I will have to try it when I get the car back. My list of jobs just seems to get bigger and bigger

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. Tricolore999

Tricolore999 Rookie

May 27, 2018
    Colorado
    Good stuff! Nothing better than a free fix involving a hammer :)

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Nice Italian jack, too.