456 Headlight problem | FerrariChat

456 Headlight problem

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Davidindallas, Nov 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Davidindallas

Davidindallas Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    I've now twice had a problem with the right headlight coming on but the housing staying in the retracted position. Has anyone else expereinced this or have thoughts on a solution. I can drive with one headlight, but the solution here can't be that difficult.

2. Lukas

Lukas Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Lukas A. Niklasson
    dont have any experience with that, but ive seen 456 that had the same problem. Ive got picture of one, but im sure that wont help.

Probably wrong with the electrics somewhere.

3. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    I don't know the specifics of the 456 but it can't be much different than the Mondial's. I had the exact thing happen and after checking everything electrical, it turned out to be a mechanical problem. The nut securing the lifting linkage to the side of the headlihght housing had come loose. This caused the linkage to move but not the housing. Hope this helps.

4. Higgins23

Higgins23 Karting

Jul 16, 2004
    Europe
    I have heard of this as a fairly common 456 GT issue. If it is only 1 of the 2 lights, then it is probably a mechanical fault. As Tom B suggested, I would check the housing to see if anything has come loose.

5. Davidindallas

Nov 5, 2003
    Thanks. I checked the linkages and nothing seems disconnected. Given that the problem is intermitent I suspect there is something else involved. Both housing have a large bulbous German thingy that is part of the electrical connection. I'm suspicious of that guy. Thanks for the help.

6. Kevin456MGTA

Kevin456MGTA Rookie

Jan 4, 2005
    GAlveston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Kevin C. Walsh
    Did you ever resolve this issue?

My Driver side light will not rise, but when you manually lift it, it will retract when turned off.

And just today while driving at night it lifted, but when turned off it did not rise again.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Kevin

7. Higgins23

Higgins23 Karting

Jul 16, 2004
    Europe
    It sounds like an electrical fault. Suggest you have the fuses, relays, and wiring loom checked.

8. Davidindallas

Nov 5, 2003
    I resolved my problem by replacing the motor @ Norwood's.