456 lights issues | FerrariChat

456 lights issues

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Wheels1, Oct 1, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Hi
    I recently acquired 456 M GTA 1999 RHD.
    I Went to go out in it on Saturday night and the dash lights would not work [ they where fine the week before]. I drove it anyway and soon a lot of people flashed their lights at me, one then pointed to the rear of the car, I then realized my tail lights where not working as well, so i put on the parking lights which brought them on.

When i got home i checked all the fuses and they are all ok, everything else seems to work as normal, so i am guessing its a relay. The trouble is, i am not sure which one, and the sticker with the fuse board is not very clear at all and its hard to tell which one does what. Could any one help with a part number for the relay that works the dash lights, with luck it also works the tail lights?

Thanks
    Grant

2. mcypert

mcypert Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Mark Cypert
    #2 mcypert, Oct 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Thanks very much for the diagram.
    It looks like it might be 0 on the drawing, but I am still not sure if this also controls the dash lights, any advise most welcome.
    Grant

4. mcypert

mcypert Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Mark Cypert
    Just pull one with an identical # and try it....

5. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #5 Wheels1, Oct 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks, good tip.
    It is "o" called Outside lights in the book, but does the dash lights and rear lights.
    The relays are slightly different on my board, so i swapped "o" with "M" high beam which has the same relay as "0" luckily.
    Next to see if Ferrari still can supply them?
    Thanks again.
    Grant
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Many thanks for the link, I have ordered two.

7. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Grant. Let us know how you get on.

8. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Does anyone else find the illumination from the 456M's headlights pathetic? I put on the fog lights regularly just to add to the overall light output.

9. Jason T. DAmore

Jason T. DAmore Formula Junior

May 15, 2012
    Menifee, CA
    Full Name:
    Jason T. DAmore
    2000 456M -

You put Fog Lights on your 456M?

I have a 97' 456GTA, so i don't even have the larger driving lights below like you do.

Please post pictures.

10. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
  11. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Ferrari have new ones still for £21 plus vat. so i have ordered a new one and will keep the others as spares.

12. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Those are the fogs.

13. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Regarding the headlight upgrade, you might want to consider upgrading to a true HID setup.

If the projectors on your 456 are similar to the 550, it's fairly easy to change them out for the "correct" HID projectors which can be found in various Audi's and probably other cars that use the modular Valeo headlamp pods.

Once you have the correct projectors, you can then use the correct D2S HID lamps (not eBay specials that have been rebased somewhere in China) and a good set of OEM quality ballasts.

Ferraridriver & I have done this upgrade for our 550's and the difference in light output is amazing.

Apologies to the OP for the additional hijack.

14. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Allan
    I know this is going to sound stupid, but how do you turn the front fogs on? When i was messing around with the relay i was trying to turn them on, but they did not work, so i am guessing it was the same relay.

15. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    I must be dumber than dirt. 1995 456

Someone, kind enough [though he said $80,000 car :* ] rolled down their window at the stoplight to tell me my brake lights were not working. When I got to work I asked someone to verify and they, too, stated they were out.

I made sure the blinkers, turn and lights worked when headlights were on, so that left me with the fuse/relay or bulbs. I was led to believe the wipers worked on the same circuit but those worked.

I didn't think both bulbs so went to the owner's manual and bingo: NOTHING about brake lights. There was # 14 + 15 on running lights so as that's the only best option, checked them: Good.

sigh.

Pulled every fuse and they all looked good, soooo, that means bulbs? But both? that would mean series to me and that doesn't seem right.

As the 456 has the CD changer and amp in a special box on the left rear causing much trouble I only pulled both sets of light harnesses per book and : Good.

Now stumped.

Are the lights series for brakes?

Is there a mystery fuse [as I've seen Ferrari do sometimes] hidden in the carpeting.

Is it a relay and if so why not the entire ouside series?

[PS who spiked Romney's water with uppers and Obama's with downers]

what, I feel stooopaayd. this should be a simple matter or conspiracy, and although I can be paranoid I'm most certain it's the former.

anyone ... is this similar to the 550 setup?

PPS: actually got to use my FERRARI SCREW DRIVER...it's now violated like my tow-hook

16. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    It could just be the brake switch, I have had them go on a couple of cars, TVR springs to mind, it was a £3 ford part, but it took me a week to find that out, as TVR used parts from lots of places.

17. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    You are saying the actual depression switch at the pedal?

18. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    OK, found the page G-55 on the database for the manual. expecting it's faulting. more later.

19. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    I think they're very good on the GT, actually. They're one of the best halogens I have seen. I don't think the M has different headlights from the GT?
    My Alfa Romeo is the pathetic one, it has HID lights and puts out less light than the 456 with halogens. Though that might have something to do with the Alfa being a tad worn winterbeater, and having five times the mileage of the 456 :D.

20. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    Ferrari engins are not the only brighter than an alpha: their electrons are too :D ... it's in the Fiat business plan

21. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    NEVER be shy or afraid of sounding stupid. I have had a least a dozen Homer Simpson "doh!" moments in this forum. In the 456M, you have to have the headlights controller at least in the second (parking) position or in the headlights up position. Then you depress the rocker switch in the center stack that shows a light with the beam focused downward. If the fogs don't go on then, there's a glitch somewhere in the electrical system. Good luck and let us know if yours works okay.

22. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Had a TVR 2500M once. Never again.

23. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Thanks Allan.
    So when you put the rear fog lights on the front should come on at the the same time? [ the hand book makes no mention of turning on the front fog lights, just the rears].
    Mine do not and the warning light on the dash to say the fronts are on does not come on. The rear fog lights and warning light work fine, so it could be another pesky relay!
    I got the relay off e-bay today, only one came not two but it works fine so that's one problem fixed, now to the next one.

24. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Re the front fogs.
    I have checked the bulbs and they are Ok, checked the relay by doing the swap around thing that's ok, fuse is fine, but there is still no life to them. So i am now thinking could it be the switch? Assuming that the one fog light switch does both front and rear fogs. But that seems a bit strange as the switch works the rear fogs fine. In most cars i have owned they have a separate switch for the front and the rear fogs.
    Any ideas ?