456 LOW COST V12 FERRARI ?? | FerrariChat

456 LOW COST V12 FERRARI ??

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by JOHN328, Jun 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JOHN328

JOHN328 Karting

Jan 2, 2003
    SAN FRANCISCO BAY AR
    Full Name:
    JOHN STRIEGEL
    I was looking at the 456 (early 90's), it seem to me if you could predict when the value starts to level out, you would have a he!! deal on a V12 Ferrari. Does anybody have ideas on when and how much these cars will be worth in the future.? Is this an engine out major service ?

John

2. shelbee

shelbee Guest

You may find '95 456 in the range of 50-60k, if you have a little bit of dough, might want to get the M stands for Modified. Much better technology and get the 6 speed vs. auto.

M starts in 1999 and I have seen as low as $85k while 2000 ranges from $90k to 110k.

You will much happier with less maintenance. Make sure the dealer did timing belt service (30k although if the car has not reached the mileage yet). Earlier 456 has more problems like window seals, valve adjustment, etc. Major hauling can cost fortune in labor and parts

456M is perfect daily driver car. I love mine as daily driver more than my 550

3. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

Can you elaborate on your comment above? Thanks!

4. CodeRed

CodeRed Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    LALA LAND
    The 456 looks bloated to me get a 55o instead.

5. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

Looks are less important (not un-important) to me than overall driving experience. If I can get a daily driver Ferrari 456 for $70k less than a 550, that's fine.

Just so you know, I like the 612 Scaglietti too!

6. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Based on past performance, V12 2+2 Ferraris level off at about 18-20 years. The 412's are about as cheap as they are going to get (they sell for $35k regardless of what the asking price is). I'm guessing that a 456 GT will bottom out somewhere slightly above this. The GTA's will continue to take a beating.

That said, they really are great cars for a luxury GT, but I'm not going to get on my soap box.

Drive it. If you like it, buy it.

Search the archives, everyone knows what the problems are with them...

7. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Me too, but at $200k more than my current V12 2+2, I don't plan on getting one any time soon...

8. 456mgt

456mgt Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2002
    Cambridge UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin
  9. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    The 456 is a wonderful daily driver for many reasons:

It has good power, reasonable room (both in the cabin and in the trunk),
    comfortable, yet still has tremendous performance when you want to use it,
    and it doesn't attract too much attention (but IMO it is still the most beautiful modern Ferrari)

The only thing that would make it better, IMO, is a remote trunk release. Maybe the 456M has this? (mine is a GT).

10. F456 V12

F456 V12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Coto de Caza
    Full Name:
    Christian
    My 95 GT has been very trouble free. I have been the owner for the last 4.5 years and have had no major problems. As a matter of fact, my 456 has been far more reliable than my suppose to be reliable German cars.

1 - A/C belt - $200
    1 - 30K service - $3,200
    4 - Oil service - $800
    1 - set of tires - $1,000
    lots of gas - priceless

MB

11. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    Nope, M does not have remote trunk release. When you approach the car just put your briefcase, computer bag, raincoat and groceries on the pavement. Then unlock the door with the remote if it is working on this day, open door, kneel on pavement and then you can reach the release button on the center console. This is somewhat of a nuisance when it is raining but you can overcome the inconvenience by carrying a second suit in the trunk.The Gas lid has a similar convenient scheme, it will not release unless the ignition key is on. So, just pull up to the pump, shut off the engine, push the button next to the previous button, swear, put the key back in the ignition, turn it on, then off again so you can push the alarm button, then on and then you can easily release the lid. The lid is on the passenger side unlike my other three cars, so you need to remember that too.

12. eric

eric Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2001
    Albion, CA
    Actually, this is true of the Pre-M models, but opposite of the M: Must have ignition off to open gas lid or trunk in M-model (or at least in my 2001 model).

Minor upgrade to avoid those embarassing moments when one sets one's coffee cup down on the gas lid button whilst cruising down the road...

And then there's the brilliant design that uses push buttons on a horizontal surface of the console that attracts crumbs, dust, dirt etc, and eventually sticks and ceases to work. Looks great, but I've had plenty of problems with those goofy buttons in both my 456s.

13. winston

winston Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    foothills
    Full Name:
    don
    MY 99 456m just finished it's 30k service at 20k miles. I put inb new motor mounts, old ones sagging for 1000, and new rear shocks, each 900. Ouch.
    Winston