456 M high mileage or low mileage | Page 2 | FerrariChat

456 M high mileage or low mileage

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by smggms, Jun 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i am still learning. its tough being a fisker owner in houston ! i have to drive to fort worth and leave the car there - done it 3 times now.
    but the car is worth it - i love it and it is my daily driver now.
    i am rosssr on fisker buzz, and haev been on there since last year. some real characters over there ! but also some deep knowledge.
    i have ordered the bigger 630A fuse, and will be getting a TOM module sometime soon - which together should give me 40 more bhp !

2. smggms

smggms Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matt Godwin
    i remember you very well.. for past 2 years just oil change ...knock on the wood..:)
    i'm really interested in the fuse , where did u get it .. ? the TOM module i will consider it when i'm ready to downgrade to 520. that's the best software for tom ..
    but i had bad memories with 520 loosing bluetooth,camera and preset .. 535 been great so far..

3. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i got the fuse online from a speciality shop. not as easy to find as you would expect. sent it to andrew otis at FK, and he is putting it into a spare MSD, and then sending it on to me. i will just pop out the 350A and pop this one in, and keep the 350 as a spare in case of emergency.

the TOM works best with the 520, which is what i have in there now. tried 535 briefly but all sorts of things went wrong, so back to 520, and figured out some workarounds for the foibles on that one. strange that you had issues with 520 and i had issues with 535.... what vin is yours?

i am delaying my TOM purchase until i am satisfied that all of the systems work well under oem conditions, then i will start fooling around and experimenting.

4. smggms

smggms Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matt Godwin
    when i was on 520 on 3 of them , i kept loosing backup camera bluetooth etc.. i sold he white one , im down to 2 now signature 82/100 and eco chic vin# 223

5. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim
    Take notice of Ross. He is perfectly correct. They are great cars, but you need to be dedicated with maintenance and repairs if you really want to enjoy them. Even once ‘fully sorted’ you are going to have the odd failure. They are old cars now, and as such, require constant attention. But don’t let that put you off. Fix the troubles as they happen and don’t let them accumulate. I have a manual, but I have friends who have the auto’s and they love them. I’ve driven them and they are fantastic around town. On the highway there is no difference. My advice, like others, is to get the one you like. Personally, I agree with getting the higher mileage car. Odds are the usual problems have been rectified. If you get the low mileage, it doesn’t mean the usual problems aren’t going to happen, it just means you will be the one to pay to have them rectified.
    Good luck with your search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

au-yt likes this.
  6. smggms

smggms Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matt Godwin
    Thanks , really valuable information.
    I read somewhere on this forum that the 456m came with updated engine more horse power and hydraulic lifters .. so this not true ?
    How often need to check the valve guides?
    I asked Ferrari tech , he said after 2010
    New Timing belt Available now they last longer , better quality..

7. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    The only difference in the engines between 456 and 456M is the firing order of the cylinders, which supposedly makes things smoother, but does not affect performance.

Valve guide checks are done with a compression test. It doesn't eliminate all other possibilities, but it's the best that can be done. At 30K miles, I just had them changed.

8. smggms

smggms Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matt Godwin
    How often the need to be changed ?
    Did u change due to smoke ?

9. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    No, I just wanted the peace of mind. There is an updated valve guide, but they weren't retrofitted by recall or anything like that, so the only ways to be sure you have the new version is to change them, or have a service record of them having been changed. A lot of 456's never develop valve guide problems, so it isn't anything to be overly paranoid about, IMO, but I like to be on the safe side. It is an expensive job though.

10. smggms

smggms Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matt Godwin
    You realy in love with this car , I get it ..it’s worth it
    how many hours for that job? , more than the timing belts and 30k miles service .

One more question, how often you replace brakes ?

11. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I wish I could tell you, but it was part of a larger engine out job, and I gave all the receipts to the new owner.

I actually replaced brake disks with the late model drilled rotors at about 25K miles. They didn't need to be changed, but I wanted to do it.

I'm betting there are some 40K mile 456's with the original rotors. Brake pads are another thing entirely.

456's are fantastic cars, but you need to be able to afford to buy one, sort it, and maintain it. That means being prepared for the odd large bill.

12. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    It kind of goes without saying that a car with less than 10K miles has not had any service done to it, simply because it did not need any.
    Having said that, either car has some pros and some cons, as you can see from the different replies you got here and regardless of the one you choose, you can expect to spend some money, as there is no such a thing as a car that does not need anything.
    Are the two cars absolutely identical in color combination, accessories and extras? Have you driven both?
    I would go with the one that has the most striking color combination and that is most complete, like the luggage set, all the tools, manuals, etc.

13. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The 456 and 456M use the same cambelts introduced on the 575M in 2002 and carried forward to the 612. There has been no updated belt introduced since then and the belts are Kevlar reinforced. No new belts in 2010. Ferrari's recommendation for 575 belt change interval is 5 years and most techs are using that number for 456s and 550s, too.

14. smggms

smggms Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matt Godwin
    tazandjan

that's make perfect sense , so there is no 3rd party belts last longer ,, are they Kevlar reinforced recently or they always been since 1995?

15. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    The "upgraded" belts were introduced with the 575M in 2002, as Terry said. Then there was updated guidance from Ferrari vis-a-vis the belt change interval for the 456/456M/550 with those new 575M belts. I believe it was originally 3 years - not positive, just going by what the 360 belt interval is - then up to 5 with the 575M belts. So, 5 years/30K miles is the updated, longer interval. Nothing goes past that.

There was never a bulletin for the 360, for example, so it is still at 3 years. Some guys run them 5 years figuring the V12 bulletin should apply, but that's not technically correct, IMO.

16. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    #41 greyboxer, Jun 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    To be precise for the 8 cylinder cars FNA bulletin 1215 May 2004 reaffirmed the 3 year 30000 mile interval - it could be argued that this did however extend the 2 year interval on some earlier 8 cylinder cars

G. Pepper likes this.
  17. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Never heard about that one, thanks.

18. dencap

dencap Karting

Sep 29, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Caponigro
    When did the 456 any year acquire hydraulic lifters?

19. smggms

smggms Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matt Godwin
    I heard fro couple of mechanics, and 2 owners had their cars for sale . That with hydraulic lifters no need to check the valve guides ..

20. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Never. Answered earlier in the thread a couple of times.

21. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I have the 7th from last 456m built and it does not have hydraulic lifters. I'm afraid you have been given bad info.
    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

22. smggms

smggms Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matt Godwin
    Thank you for clearing this up, so 456m does not have hydraulic lifters ..
    So it’s still need to be checked ? How often ?

23. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    My ownership is too recent to be a definitive voice on this question but I believe the better shops (like Bradan) consider pulling the camshafts and adjusting valve clearances to be integral to a proper major with belts. So every 5 yrs.

Others are likely to be better informed.
    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

24. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    My 99 M GTA had the valve guides replaced at 17k miles in 2012.
    They were adjusted along with a belt service when I got it last year.

25. smggms

smggms Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matt Godwin
    So it’s part of the 5 years 30k miles ?
    Replacing/ adjusting valve guide and timing belt, that’s not making sense. We are taking about 10k bill ir more ,,