456 M high mileage or low mileage | Page 3 | FerrariChat

456 M high mileage or low mileage

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by smggms, Jun 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Depending on the year of the car, they shouldn't need replacing. Earlier models used a not so great bronze alloy guide. As I think Taz has mentioned, in 2002 (?) they went to a sintered steel alloy guide. The 575 had these guides and they seem to have made a similar change to the 456 engines at that time. Those don't wear out, but it's always good to check the lift when the belts are being done.

2. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    The valve guides are a known week spot. Not all cars need them replaced, but some very reputable pros say they’re a question of when not if. During my search, if the valve guides had not been changed, I wouldn’t consider the car without a very thorough compression and leak down test. The price for valve guides with a major belt service can easily be 1/3rd the price of the car.

3. smggms

smggms Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matt Godwin
    so 456M 1999 - 2001 need service and replaced , 2002 need just check ?
    just to check don't you need to remove camshaft? that 30 hours job , no?

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    No 456M was fitted with upgraded valve guides at the factory. The F355 was, but Ferrari never bothered with the 550 or 456M.

Matt- You need to get a 456M owners manual and read the maintenance schedule. The only thing that has changed is the belt change interval and the official recommendation is still 3 years. Much of the info you have been hearing appears to directly contradict factory recommendations. The only one that can be ignored is the 3 years for cambelts, 5 years is fine. Go back and read this entire thread except for the Fiskar part. Good info in there that you missed.

5. smggms

smggms Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matt Godwin
  6. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Thanks for chiming in, Taz. I ran across some info from some European car websites that asserted the change to sintered steel late in the 456M production, concurrent with the intro of the 575. Seemed mildly plausible as presented but I was hoping to hear from folks like you, Rifledriver, Bradan, et al, as to whether it was real.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

7. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Matt, in addition to the WSM, I suggest you read the Buyer’s Guide on the other site.

8. smggms

smggms Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matt Godwin
    killer , what other site you referring to? can u send me the link?

9. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    We'll.....it starts with the F word and ends with life and your not allowed to talk about it on this site. Definitely competitors and that one is Brand X!!
    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk