456 M pop up headlights conversion | FerrariChat

456 M pop up headlights conversion

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by 736973, Jan 9, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 736973

736973 Karting

Nov 25, 2007
    anyone know if it is possible to convert the 456M pop up headlights to 550 style like clear lense non-pop up headlights? is there a kit available for that, if not, any possible way to change them to other style non-pop up lights? also is there a after market rear wing available for the car, please help me............Thanks everyone...........

MKnightMD likes this.
  2. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    You are going to make many folks here throw up with such talk.

paulchua and 350MH83 like this.
  3. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    I've seen pics of a car that had it done.... no idea why or how much.

Easiest get rid of the pop up headlights on a 456, is to go to the ferrari dealer and trade it in on a 575/550 or a 612. ;)

4. 736973

736973 Karting

Nov 25, 2007
    well having the lights change is just a personal perference, everyone has their own taste, I personal think it would look quite nice, well I added a supercharger into my car, it has 700 horsepower, i don't want to get rid of it, I justwant to update it to the way I want it to look, besides it has only 10000km on my car, I am even looking for an aftermarket body kit for it too, but seems like is very hard to find..............

5. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    LOL, also exchange children for smaller ones to facilitate storage on the rear shelf

6. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    The greatest strength of the 456M's design IMHO, is the clean, elegant simplicity and integration of its component forms. I don't know whether the slope of the nose is even steep enough to accomodate the changeover from pop-up to covered headlamps without cutting out more of the carbon fiber hood, but that probably would add complexity (or variety, depending on your point of view) to the hood design. BTW, I don't find the 550's hood with its lights and scoop to be one of that design's strengths. I also have a hard time imagining what "an aftermarket body kit" for a 456M might look like. Fender flares? Hood scoops? If you feel a strong need to personalize the car (I've done that a lot with my Porsches) I'd recommend getting different wheels and tires with a distinctive tread pattern. Unlike body modifications, those items won't affect the long term value of the car in a negative way.

7. vlamgat

vlamgat Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    Come come come - its just a car and not a particularly appreciated one either. So much so that not even the Japanese have seen fit to engineer a body kit and a wing for it. Just like there are guys going to stuff small blocks into Hondas or Porsches, there are going to be the same genrethat want flares and spoilers on this boring old Pininfarina shape. All things are possible and I would suggest that given the cost of doing these mods is the same whether you are doing it to a Dodge Hemi or an F-Car, why not look at some of the web sites on Chop Cut Rebuild or one of the Bling Valley shops in CA. They can also do Nickel plated coffee can exhausts and replace the entire trunk with a custom shaped woofer that changes frequency in synch with the transaxle. Subtle but it makes a statement that goes along with the supercharger - which is actually a first. After figuring out how to do that, you should have no problem in engineering a body kit - hey, I know, why not do a Spider conversion?

8. Tifosi66

Tifosi66 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2004
    Jiang Jia Jie
    Full Name:
    Li-Ge
    I wholeheartedly agree with the naysayers above. However, I too understand that it is YOUR car and you're entitled to do whatever you want with it.

Being a bit computer challenged..I don't exactly know how to transfer image(s) from there to here.. therefore, if you want to see what 550 lights look like on a 456, go to the ASIA section, under " Any Malaysian Ferrari Owners..?", page 53...and there you can see a couple of photos of a Rosso Corsa 456 with the 550 light units grafted on, with the 456's original bumper and bonnet in place and running on Cargraphic's 19" 'racing' wheels. It's a cut jub on the bonnet or hood to accomodate the lights but it seems that the curvature of the hood doesn't exactly conform to the lights' shape or vice-versa...therefore you might need some thick gasket made up to have a tight fit.

The owner of the said 456 is a Ferrari and Porsche 'tuner/racer' in Malaysia and his previous ride was a 348 with a full on 355 body, right down to the rear quarters and lights. He's a heck of a driver but might have questionable tastes and/but modding Ferraris seems to float his boat, so...to each his own..:)

Edit : Cargraphic in Germany does have a 456 in their advertisement having a sealed quad lights set up in lieu of the original pop-up units. Not a modded 550 unit and cut hood but looked like custom made units that replaced the whole original lights and their buckets assembly. Was a black unit IIRC wearing the CG wheels.

9. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    I think Pininfarina did a few for the Sultan of Brunei.

And, yes, it is "just a car," but I was talking about aesthetics, which are of course subjective and personal. Customizing is the automotive equivalent of a tattoo. And, like I've said elsewhere, "a tattoo works on Jessica Alba; a tattoo does not work on Botticelli's Venus," or, for a more modern example, Nicole Kidman. To each his own.

forgottenkeys likes this.
  10. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Formula 3

Oct 6, 2007
    Ostraya
    Full Name:
    Red Power Ranga
  11. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    How much does the conversion cost? Does it get as much light on the road? M

12. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan

13. vlamgat

vlamgat Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004

14. 736973

736973 Karting

Nov 25, 2007
    #14 736973, May 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. galli

galli Karting

Oct 21, 2004
    Czech Republic
    Full Name:
    Karel
    I think it's conversion from Novitec (http://www.novitecrosso.com/ - but they don't have 456 on their new site)... Please, show us some photos of your car ;)

16. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    #16 Jagbuff, May 21, 2008

17. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    Reminds me of the BMW Z1...interesting!

18. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    From wikipedia "Powered hidden headlamps were pioneered in GM's Buick Y-Job concept car of 1938 and were used briefly on Chrysler Corporation's 1942 production DeSoto. The feature's popularity has waxed and waned over time. Hidden headlamps regained popularity in the late 1960s, particularly in the US market where aerodynamic headlamps were not permitted. A relatively large variety of cars incorporated hidden headlamps in the 1970s, '80s, and early 1990s. Currently, hidden headlamps have fallen out of favour.
    Numerous car manufacturers used hidden headlamps to get around the headlight height regulation in the United States, for instance Toyota exported their retractable headlight version of the AE86, known domestically as the Sprinter Trueno in favour of their Corolla Levin as the former had higher headlamp height, enough to satisfy US regulations rather than raise body height which affected handling.
    US laws now permit aerodynamic headlamps, relative to which hidden headlamps represent added cost, weight, and complexity as well as reliability concerns as cars age. Internationalized ECE auto safety regulations have also recently incorporated pedestrian-protection provisions restricting protuberances from car bodies, making it more difficult and expensive to design compliant pop-up headlamps."
    Erik

19. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    OUCH!

20. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
  21. 736973

736973 Karting

Nov 25, 2007
    #21 736973, Apr 27, 2009
    if anyone is able to custom make these clear lense headlights for a 456M , please reply, thanks......once again, is for the M model.......
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. 736973

736973 Karting

Nov 25, 2007

so , does it mean no one can hep me here?

23. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Of no particular help, but I think it's a great idea. Best of luck in your search and if you do find a solution, please post it up. The Novitech lead didn't pan out?

As for the rest of the monkeys - who cares? His car, let him do what he wants. You may not like it, but unless he steals your car and modifies it, what difference does it make?

As for it being the greatest GT car? Uhm, not a chance in hell - the maranello exists! :D

24. 736973

736973 Karting

Nov 25, 2007

thanks, just like what you said, everyone has their own choice, well, this is what I like and I am just messing with my own car, doesn't affect anybody, but I am still having a hard time finding someone that could do this job for me, hope the right person will pop up soon..............................

25. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    the black car pictured looks excellent with the conversion, as if it came that way originally; the red car in the Asian section looks just awful as they totally destroyed the metal in their version.