456 Plastic cover over spark leads | FerrariChat

456 Plastic cover over spark leads

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by My456, Apr 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. My456

My456 Rookie

Mar 10, 2018
    Aberdeen
    Full Name:
    Angus McDonald
    It always seems the plastic covers that hold the spark leads break in 3 or 4 places - due to shrinkage I assume.

Are these parts still available.
    Has anyone come up with a solution/fix/replacement.

Would seem a good candidate for 3D printing.

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I believe John Cribb has a coil on plug solution that pretty much eliminates spark plug wire/connector problems.

3. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Same here. Have you considered taking it off?

4. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

I thought a few years ago that these ignition wire covers and the front timing covers would be good candidates for high quality, aftermarket carbon fiber replacements (as fitted on the Prodrive 550's).

I made the rounds of all the custom carbon fiber guys here on the board and elsewhere, and no one was interested. Usual hurdle: minimum order was 25-50 pieces of each.

RE: the COP system: I've had a setback with my COP setup as my harness builder developed health issues and cannot build them anymore. I've located a new builder, but he needs exact dimensions, or a template harness to go by, neither of which I had. However, I've just repurchased the very first COP setup I sold to/from a fellow Houston 550 owner whose car was recently totaled, so I expect to be able to provide these systems again soon.

5. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Cool. How does the trigger work? Off the existing coils?

My plastic parts are broken. Was thing of fabbing something.

6. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Ken, the trigger comes from the ECU. The coilpacks have a constant +12 on them, and the ECU pulls the other side of the coil to earth for the dwell period, then opens to fire the coil. My system works exactly the same way. FWIW, both systems (OEM & mine) are waste spark; for the 575M Ferrari decided to go with true sequential spark.

7. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    I guess my question is what exactly to you wire them to? The wires that go to the stock coils?

8. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Yes, the stock coilpacks & HT wires are removed from the car (which frees up a surprising amount of space and cleans up the engine bay). Then my system's harnesses plug right into the car harnesses that were formerly connected to the coilpacks. It's completely PnP.

If you're familiar with ignition systems, the ignitors (power transistors that handle the heavy charging current of the coils) are built into the main ECU motherboards on the 5.2 Motronic. It's a poor design which has been superceded several times, and most contemporary ECU's simply send a logic level trigger out to the coils where the ignitors are built into the coils themselves. This type of setup is called a "smart COP". The older type that we have is a "dumb COP"

9. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    There was a noticeable improvement in the idle after installing John's COP system and it's been flawless for five years now.

10. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    I have the 2.7 Motrinic...

11. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Sorry Ken, I misremembered and thought you had an M car.

For the 2.7 Motronics, Bosch had the wisdom to put the ignitors outboard of the main ECU's, so you have a few more options than those of us with 5.2 Motronics:

I'd really like to discuss building you a system, as other 456GT guys are interested in going COP, but I need to do one for a local car first, and make sure any/all issues are ironed out before I sell one to Australia :)

12. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Lol. Service call to Sydney might be rough. Let’s talk in a month or two. Need to get through the gas tank, radiator, suspension and motor mounts first.

13. WMW 700

WMW 700 Rookie

May 21, 2018
    Norwich - UK
    Full Name:
    William Mark Wilkinson
    Hi Angus,

As far as I'm aware the individual plastic cover is not available, it seems Ferrari want you to purchase the entire wiring loom c/w cover at considerable cost (£420).

I'm right in the middle of changing the bronze valve guides on my 456M which has done a lowly 18,500 miles. The wear is embarrassing!

During the strip I noticed one of my ignition lead covers is cracked, albeit in just one place.

If you or anyone else wants to club together to get some manufactured using 3D printing then I'm all ears.

I'll be dammed if I'm going to spend 400 quid on a piece of plastic.

Regards

Mark

UK Mobile: 0791 250 7700

Prit Singh likes this.
  14. WMW 700

WMW 700 Rookie

May 21, 2018
    Norwich - UK
    Full Name:
    William Mark Wilkinson
  15. Davidspop

Davidspop Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Lance Malcolm
    Raising this post from the dead!

So what ever happened wtih a 3d printing of these covers? I just replaced airbox covers (went with red powdercoating)... and found that both loom covers are cracked in a few places... so looking for options to replace!