456 price trends | Page 16 | FerrariChat

456 price trends

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by ross, Jan 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yudkib

yudkib Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2020
    SAS has other cars photographed in that garage, so I think it’s the same one. There’s nothing in your list there that is particularly surprising to me. We discussed the car earlier in this thread. I figured it needed a major with cam seals because it had no service info in 5-7 years, a full restretch and redye on the leather, and figured a few bucks for either suspension/AC/windows - you know the usual suspects. If they dropped the price to 70, I was prepared to go up there with the intention of consummating a deal. I thought 80 was only a tiny bit high with no records. I’m guessing they either took a lot less than 105, or it was bought by someone who couldn’t miss on that color and/or didn’t understand what’s involved in getting these back in running shape.

Jaredsalinsky likes this.
  2. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    #377 Mirek, Mar 29, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2023
    Yudkib, I am pulling for ya man. Pull that trigger and dive in you are missing out and it is almost SUMMER !

Don’t overthink it, there are not too many in the USA to begin with and time is not on your side. Get the spec you want (if it comes up) and get to work on it - like we all had to :). Your eyes are wide open, you know enough to be dangerous. Don’t try to save $20k on the car and don’t put too much stock in recent receipts/paperwork. Mine came with $25k or so in receipts when I bought mine. Means nothing.

Mine was MY perfect spec and was basically a MINT 2003 with under 19k. I overpaid of course and had it shipped from a dealer in AZ. $54k in receipts later she is humming like a top. Albeit probably $11k went towards fixing another local shops VERY VERY poor work. Maybe $4k for upgrades too.

The 456 is the easiest Ferrari to talk yourself out of brother.

3. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
  4. yudkib

yudkib Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2020
    My all-in budget has gone from like 70 to 90 to like 110-120, but it’s buying increasingly less car no matter how quickly I raise it. I make $80k a year right now (it’s fine, they pay me half a salary so I do half a job), but I can’t just say “**** it, what’s another 20” when I’m already $50k over where I wanted to be 3 years ago *especially* making half the salary I did at the time. I do appreciate your encouragement though. After I finish my basement and shed and landscaping, maybe I’ll have more of an appetite to do my own work on it. I know how to, I just don’t have the time, even with half-assing my current job.

Mirek likes this.
  5. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    One of my strongest perversions is enjoying the long painful hunt!

it’s true generally not to wait for the perfect car but if your perversion is building spreadsheets and “Trainspotting 456’s” and then finally buying exactly what you want….its delightful.

Absolutley annoying the “feces” out of my wife on my insane Meyers Manx search and then my Maranello search also resulting in her “buying in” when I told her I found “the one”.
    :cool:

root and Mirek like this.
  6. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    I totally hear you on that price creep. That’s a big swing up BUT…

I firmly believe that $85k can STILL get you a nice shifter car in this market. Do not start looking above $100k just yet. Assume you will put in $20k to get it running how you like and value a driver more than an overpriced low mileage car with a “recent major” done by some random indy.

Ferrari55whoa likes this.
  7. Jaredsalinsky

Jaredsalinsky Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 8, 2023
    tampa FL
    Full Name:
    Jared salinsky
    The color combo is really great. Yeah all the usual stuff. But my buddy who did the PPI (chief mechanic at Audi Toronto) just told me to walk away. Now, I was mentally prepared to put 20k into it…but he thought it looked like it could get way over that. No matter- that new owner has a gem, and I found a nice one too and hopefully it works out for us all!

8. yudkib

yudkib Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2020
    85 + 20 is 105, which I’m OK with (though would certainly prefer a little less). The problem is I haven’t seen many at 85 at all lately, and the ones I have need more like 30-40. Aside from the CDF on Long Island that came up earlier on this thread. I also don’t want to be 30k upside down on it before I even drive it away from the mechanic. That’s what I’m really worried about, and unfortunately you’ve got to be willing to play in the 130-150 range to avoid that with any degree of certainty, and I’m just not willing to go that high if I intend to keep it more than a few years.

Jaredsalinsky likes this.
  9. yudkib

yudkib Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2020
    I’m an engineer by training so unfortunately it’s extremely hard for me to think with the emotional part of my brain. But the good news is basically anytime I want something I get the green light from my better half. I’ve been the underbidder on 2-3 cars, the high bidder on 2 that didn’t hit reserve, and “too slow, too bad” on a couple DB9’s and mint Maser Coupes. I told my wife when we were house hunting - you’ll forget all the PTSD once we actually close on a place. Will be the same with this. I’m always adjusting my standards, but if I know I’m settling before I write the check then it will be harder to say the wait was worth it.

10. Jaredsalinsky

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 8, 2023
    tampa FL
    Full Name:
    Jared salinsky
    Have you considered purchasing in europe? I think you could probably save 10%, however you'd spend a little of that getting it back to the US. There is a guy I've been using and he's pretty good, and reasonable. He did a PPI for me in Germany, which ended up yielding a car not to be bought, although he gave a me a 3 page detailed report, and we spend an hour on the phone discussing, all for around $450. Anyway, the European steering wheels are way cooler! and there may be a bit more cool heritage from there as well. And, if you don't mind right hand drive the cars from England are even about 20% cheaper.... I myself do not mind RHD. Let me know if I can help! cheers

11. yudkib

yudkib Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2020
    I gave it some real thought when the dollar was super strong against the euro. Waiting to see if it rebounds a little more before exploring that further - or continued drops in shipping though those may have bottomed again. I’m mostly concerned about my ability to get a PPI done. I’ve chatted a little with some people on here about their experience and will be sure reach out to you if I’m more strongly considering going that route.

12. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
  13. Jaredsalinsky

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 8, 2023
    tampa FL
    Full Name:
    Jared salinsky
    that car just sold in jan on BaT... low 70's

14. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    $76,456 after the fee.

Let’s see what it lists at. Such a stunning car.

15. DrDweeb

DrDweeb Karting

Nov 30, 2013
    It's mine and it ain't listing.

Ferrari55whoa and Mirek like this.
  16. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Good, that 2003M is the exact car I would have bought if it came up during my search. It is an incredible spec. I would value it in excess of what you paid by a large amount. That’s me.

Fairfield just had that VIN up for sale (?).

17. DrDweeb

DrDweeb Karting

Nov 30, 2013
    I am not sure how long it was up, but it listed on BaT and I was the fortunate winner. I dealt with a salesperson at Fairfield Cheverolet after the BaT sale, and it was "mostly painless" and the car is in my "possession" (though I haven't actually seen the car yet, as I am not in-country).

I think I got an OK deal, given that it is a very late build and a "one of one" colour scheme (as I understand it). I am looking forward to putting many miles on it. Unless someone offers me ridiculous money for it, I'll have it for a while :D

Mirek likes this.
  18. DrDweeb

DrDweeb Karting

Nov 30, 2013
    Mirek likes this.
  19. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    I might go take a look at that swatters blue 456 later this afternoon at BHCC if anybody wants any pics, details or info just let me know. The first 456M I ever looked at was a beater out of BHCC.

After my own 456M journey I should be able to asses this pretty well for anybody interested.

Ferrari55whoa and Aerosurfer like this.
  20. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    After that last Verde Inglese from BaT I looked at, it was very interesting seeing other cars condition and how much wrong (and some interesting right) these cars can be in.

Hope you get some good feedback and see some interesting vehicles over there. They seem to have good variation of vehicles, condition aside

21. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Indeed !

Attached Files:

peterp likes this.
  22. Jaredsalinsky

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 8, 2023
    tampa FL
    Full Name:
    Jared salinsky
    WOW! What a collection….

23. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek

Attached Files:

Auraraptor likes this.
  24. DrDweeb

DrDweeb Karting

Nov 30, 2013
    Auraraptor likes this.
  25. dogdoc

dogdoc Rookie

Jan 1, 2008
    There is one on Beverly Hills cars under $50k lots of records, 50k on miles 97 GTA…thought they were sketch.