456 sold at auction | FerrariChat

456 sold at auction

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Themaven, May 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
  2. Jango

Jango Rookie

May 18, 2019
    Rotherham UK
    Full Name:
    James beaumont
    Hi
    Yes I picked that one up

3. chris_columbia

chris_columbia Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2008
    Columbia MD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Looks like a good price

4. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    F456M, Il Tifoso and paulchua like this.
  5. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Congratulations! Looks like you did very well.

6. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    You know, I never considered the 365/400/412 series 'ugly.' The worst thing I can say is they are less 'flashy' then other Ferrari. I think they are great cars.

ag512bbi and 21ATS like this.
  7. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Congrats. Hope you enjoy the car thoroughly. Well bought.

8. Jango

Jango Rookie

May 18, 2019
    Rotherham UK
    Full Name:
    James beaumont
    I am pick her Wednesday lunch time and driving a good 100 mile trip back home so I will see how good she is?
    Just ordered full set of new tyres which I will fit this and check every thing and then its 2000 mile road next.

F456M and Il Tifoso like this.
  9. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    I’m admittedly biased as the owner of a 412 5 speed manual, but these cars are really beautiful in the flesh (er metal) and pictures don’t really do them justice. The proportions are just beautiful. Unfortunately they’re so rare that not a lot people have seen them in the flesh.

The manual tranny transforms the super low, elegant coupe with sharp lines into something that can hustle and defy its weight in the twisties. Oh, and all while making some FANTASTIC classic V12 sounds that no modern Ferrari can match.

Ruben

ralfabco and paulchua like this.
  10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I completely agree, they are fantastic.

Prit Singh likes this.
  11. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Have fun! Forecast is good. What tyres did you get? MPS4S are phenomenal.

12. Jango

Jango Rookie

May 18, 2019
    Rotherham UK
    Full Name:
    James beaumont
    I made it with no real issue, not over heating or blowing etc.
    But it is running very rich on the left bank, I removed the plugs and all where showing signs of running rich and once in a blue moon the light saying slow down 7-12 would light up then go out again.
    any ideas?

13. JCYC

JCYC Rookie

May 25, 2019
    Twickenham, UK
    Full Name:
    Jason Chan
    Congratulations on that buy Jango. Had an eye on that when it was at McGurks. You should give John a shout on that car as they serviced it last I believe. He's a top man. Best of luck and enjoy your new ride.

Jango likes this.
  14. andyleeds

andyleeds Rookie

Apr 1, 2014
    sounds like you know how to use a spanner jango.... i have a 456 have had it for a few years.... mine has being no problem apart from a stuck aircon switch, i they are on the correct wheels, the recommended tyres are bridgestones.....

15. chris_columbia

chris_columbia Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2008
    Columbia MD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Mine had a similar issue. Changing the catalytic thermocouple ECU's solved the problem completely. I bought the Gothspeed after market ones instead of the factory ones. They may have stopped making them but I highly recommend their products over any factory part.

16. ColGraves

ColGraves Karting

Aug 1, 2017
    Cos Cob, CT
    Full Name:
    C.T. Graves
    Jango, be careful. While the Slow Down light can give false positives, it can also work. I let mine go for to long on a run and burned up a cat. She was running red hot when I finally inspected and the core had melted. The misfires can dump a ton of unburnt fuel into the cats. Sounds like you have misfires, so you probably don’t have a faulty Slow Down ECU. Check injectors , they can get stuck open with crappy fuel (ethanol in the states wears out the seals in the fuel tank). When I dumped my fuel filters found tons of small black particles in her. Was certainly possible for them to get into the fuel rail for me.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. ColGraves

ColGraves Karting

Aug 1, 2017
    Cos Cob, CT
    Full Name:
    C.T. Graves
    Also, my wires were shot. I rebuilt them and killed the misfires. FatBillyBob and others have been long advocates for ignition coils instead of the stock setup. Kind of makes sense (though I didn’t stumble upon this until after I had rebuilt my wires).

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

18. Prit Singh

Prit Singh Karting

May 29, 2017
    London
    Congratulations James lovely car. I have the same colour combo
    1994 456GT left hand drive and have done lots of work on her.

19. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
  20. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    That one has the non-airbag, pretty steering wheel.

tantumaude likes this.
  21. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
  22. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
  23. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Rardley have a 14,000 mile car similar spec that's been reduced from £69K this week to £67,490 and it's not getting a lot of interest.

http://www.rardleymotors.com/docs2/cars/show.php?id=723&p=30&page=1&srt=model_year DESC

The market is really weak for these cars. I can't remember a time when a 400i was commanding the same price as a 456. (see earlier in this thread).

I was talking with a guy on Pistonheads this week who owns a manual 456 very similar spec and mileage to the Rardley car and he's been offered £45K as a trade sale.

So with all that said I think the £38-45k estimate is retail on this car (with 55k miles). Expect bidding to struggle into the 30's.

24. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The one in your link is an automatic, not manual. Fairly different car because of that.

puckybadger likes this.
  25. andyleeds

andyleeds Rookie

Apr 1, 2014

this was me........ :)

the market is a bit of a shambles at the moment with brexit weighing heavily still, unless you have a unicorn or a super low miler then everything has dropped, the rardleys car that's the same as mine is a manual, same miles but grey interior...... in my opinion unless you have to sell for other reasons, then don't sell and keep for a while, the market will come back, probably not to the same highs it hit a couple of years ago but probably 10%-15% than it is now, its just a question of how desperate you are, but i would suggest if these cars are being run as 2nd or 3rd cars then the owners probably won't need to sell them......