456 Suspension fix. What a difference! | FerrariChat

456 Suspension fix. What a difference!

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by skl63, Nov 10, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. skl63

skl63 Karting

Dec 13, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    For some years now, I have been trying to get to the bottom of a hard ride on our 456GTA. Shockers have been re-built, an actuator replaced etc.

Finally we surmised that the accumulators had failed... logic being that as they fail, losing Nitrogen pressure, the ride initially goes soft and bouncy, then finally with no gas pressure, the accumulator spheres fill with hydraulic fluid with the result being no spring effect from the accumulators at all. The result being a very harsh ride.

The best price I could find for Ferrari accumulators was about $600 each (you need 2), however, I stumbled across a picture of the a BMW accumulator and guess what. It is the same. OEM accumulators can be bought in Australia for about $170 each.

It is also a very straight forward DIY job to replace them. The complete job probably took only 3 hours, cost about $380 including new hydraulic fluid.

The result is dramatic, with our car now riding significantly better and presumably as it would have when it left the factory (well almost)

Incidentally, in my research I came across a man who rebuilds NLA accumulator spheres for the Porsche 959 and others. He suggested that after 5 years, accumulators are on the way out. After 10 years, they will be "stuffed".

CAUTION DANGER: I did this job with the car on ramps and stands under the jacking points. Be careful, because the car will drop (and make a mess) when you release the hydraulic hoses.

Photos of the accumulators (Ferrari and BMW) are attached, as well as a couple of shots showing the accumulator bolted into the car and the hose connecting the accumulator to the shocker.

jcbam likes this.
  2. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Very good to hear Scott! Thanks for sharing mate, this info and pics will come in handy for many here. :)

But, errrrrrr..............your pics didn't make it. :p

3. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
    #3 Dazzling, Nov 11, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
    That's cool Scott, what year is your car?

4. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    I cant see the pictures, is it me or are they not attached?

What BMW model was it? X5?

5. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    Do you have a part number for the BMW accumulators?

6. skl63

skl63 Karting

Dec 13, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #6 skl63, Nov 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    These are some shots showing the BMW Vs Ferrari accumulator. The only difference was that one hole is larger on the BMW part (on a bracket), hence I used a large washer. The accumulator is manufactured by Lemforder, a division of ZF, so good quality from Germany. Also available from Bilstein, Mahle and others.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

F456M likes this.
  7. skl63

skl63 Karting

Dec 13, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #7 skl63, Nov 11, 2011
  8. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    The 560SEL Mercedes have the same ones

9. tajaro

tajaro Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2009
    Gulfport Florida
    Full Name:
    Erik V
    Does anyone keep track of all these cross references and substitute parts? Very valuable find!

Well done.

10. skl63

skl63 Karting

Dec 13, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Great Q from Tajaro. Perhaps a thread should be started to keep track of them all. Just yesterday I read about direct replacements for ignition switches for Testas, fuel pumps for 456 etc. There is plenty of good not knowledge on these boards.

11. TZ 750

TZ 750 Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2009
  12. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Mayby dumb question, but what "does" the accumulators do? What is their job in the suspension?

13. tajaro

tajaro Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2009
    Gulfport Florida
    Full Name:
    Erik V
    SonomaRik does a great job keeping 456/456M threads together for us- but a specific table with it all compiled would be valuable. Just wondering if someone has started to do this.

14. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Well it really is a hydropneumatic damper/spring, and this setup does have a number of advantages, highlighted by an article written by someone who is undoubtedly a Citroën fan: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydropneumatic_suspension

15. mcypert

mcypert Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Mark Cypert
    Thought I’d resurrect this thread and report on how my swap went…

I recently completed a major on my 456 GT. Not having driven it in a while, I noticed it felt particularly bouncy in the back. Only 18K miles on the OD, but suspected the accumulators, and have for a while, see also:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/456-550-575-sponsored-bradan/376062-two-big-bangs-pops-rear-end-shocks.html

I still don’t know how you know for sure whether the bombs have burst or not but, hard tail is certainly an indicator. Also, and this is just a WAG, I did notice the hydraulic reservoir was a little low (Again just my WAG, but maybe when the membrane fails and fills with fluid, the reservoir goes down…. )

Anyway, I got the Bimmer bombs from Autohaus AZ for about $130 each, shipping included. As Scott said at the start of the thread, it’s a fairly easy DIY job. And, follow his tip and get both rear tires in the air to minimize the pressure in the system and spewing of fluid. It will still make a mess because of all the fluid in the bombs but at least they won’t be fully pressurized. (The bombs are mounted just inboard of the rear wheels and you don’t even have to take the wheels off, BTW.)

One more tip, take the brass fittings (that the big hose attaches to) off the bombs with a 19mm wrench before taking the bombs off the frame. When I went to fit my first new one, I thought I didn't have the right part because it had a hole instead of a threaded nipple. I then realized the brass fitting was still in the old one… Getting it off the un-mounted accumulator is a *****…. Like trying to take a highly torqued bolt out of a bowling ball…

The new accumulators make a dramatic difference in ride quality, and… I think, a difference in low speed traction??? (I've found myself in some rather nasty loss of control situations with WOT on low speed corners and was wondering why.)

As far as I know, there’s no test for whether the bombs have failed or not, but you can sure tell difference with new ones….

Regards……. Mark

16. Jason T. DAmore

Jason T. DAmore Formula Junior

May 15, 2012
    Menifee, CA
    Full Name:
    Jason T. DAmore
  17. Jason T. DAmore

Jason T. DAmore Formula Junior

May 15, 2012
    Menifee, CA
    Full Name:
    Jason T. DAmore
    #17 Jason T. DAmore, Aug 28, 2014
  18. sully456

sully456 Rookie

Feb 21, 2011
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Steve O'Sullivan
    I know this is an old thread but the question about "how to tell if your accumulators (Bombs) have failed"
    I recently replaced mine after a failed shock (Split) and found when I put a small rod into the sphere connection hole of the failed bomb, it went in twice the distance of the healthy unit.

19. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    #19 au-yt, Feb 29, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
    Great result! however this may surprise you but all this and a lot lot more is in here, as for spheres they were post#4
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/456-550-575-sponsored-bradan/394955-456-550-575-cross-reference-interchangeable-parts-source-thread.html

The Accumulators act as reservoirs for the self leveling rear suspension. The Hand Book and the Service manuals explain more and how there function is supplied the power steering
    These units have about a 10-15 year life.

20. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Hi all,

My 95 456 GT is showing the symptoms of needing the accumulators replaced. Other posts mention that this is a fairly straight forward procedure, but I've not found a step by step description of how to do this.

Would someone mind explaining what steps are involved? Also, how much of a mess does this make? Any bleeding of the system required?

Thanks in advance!

Ruben

21. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    You can do this quite easily:
    Jack up the car
    Remove the hydraulic line from each bomb and catch fluid. (There won't be that much if both wheels are off the ground - the system is not under pressure so you can makeshift cap the lines too.)
    Remove nuts and bolts.
    Install new bombs and reconnect hydraulic lines (This is actually the hardest part. Getting the lines attached and the bolts into the bombs in their brackets can be fiddly.)
    Drive and replace fluid as necessary, the system will self bleed.

22. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Thanks very much Chris, this seems super easy!

I've read some references to "using washers" with the BMW units since the holes seem to be different... I presume this is for mounting the bombs onto the chassis, correct?

Cheers!

Ruben

23. Vereeken

Vereeken Formula Junior

May 16, 2014
    Belgium
    Is the 456 the only one to use the self levelling suspension?

24. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    One of the holes on the BMW bomb is oversize and needs a washer. The other two holes need to be slightly enlarged. Yes, this is for mounting the bombs onto the car.

25. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The 456 is the only one of our 65 degree V12s with self leveling rear suspension, but the 365 GT 2+2 had a Koni version, as well.