456 turn signal | FerrariChat

456 turn signal

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Mr. V, Jun 22, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mr. V

Mr. V Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    The right turn signal stopped illuminating and flashing in my car.

The left works fine; none of the bulbs (dash or outside) light up on the right side, and there is no clicking sound.

I assume it would be a bad flasher?

Where is the flasher located on this car?

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    If one side is working, it is not the flasher. On all these cars, if you leave the turn signal lever in the on position and shut down the car, the turn lamps on that side will stay illuminated. Do your lamps stay on?

Taz
    Terry Phillips

3. Mr. V

Mr. V Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    I turned the key on sufficient to energize the car, but not turn the engine over.

The left flasher worked fine when the key was on, but the lights, front and rear, did not remain on when the key was turned off.

As before, the right side remained MIA.

Is this sufficient test, or should I fire it up and then turn off the engine with the left signal flashing?

Interesting.

4. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Taz, do you mean the parking lights? I believe for those to work you need to press the switch on the center console too.

I agree the flasher is not likely the issue, as it is shared for left and right.
    What happens if you depress the hazard warning switch, do then all four lights work?
    It could be bad wiring but my vote would be on either the turn signal switch or the hazard warning switch as the culprit to this.

5. Andrew D.

Andrew D. F1 Rookie

Jul 6, 2008
    Goodwood Ontario
    Full Name:
    Andrew D.
    When I bought my 456 one turn signal worked intermittently. Giving the flasher some taps made it work temporarily. Replacing it fixed the problem. Its locted under the dash to the extreme left of the steering wheel.

6. Mr. V

Mr. V Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    All lights flash when I activate the emergency flasher.

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #7 tazandjan, Jun 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
    Guess I was confusing Porsches and Ferraris. On early 911s, at least, you could put the turn signal to one side or the other and the indicator lights would stay lit on that side. Used when you were parked on the side of the road so other cars could see you. Not sure if they still do that or not.

Sure sounds like the turn signal switch assembly. Seems like there was someone in FerrariAds who rebuilds the units. I bid on one on E-Bay a while back, but did not win it. ~$250 for that one.

Found it. http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=5467

Taz
    Terry Phillips

8. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Mr. V, do the parking lights work as they should on both sides? What if you try multiple times, not even an intermittent flash on the right hand side?
    The turn signal switch is the most likely culprit so it seems.

9. Andrew D.

Andrew D. F1 Rookie

Jul 6, 2008
    Goodwood Ontario
    Full Name:
    Andrew D.
    Just a suggestion. Take the flasher apart.Clean the contacts with an emery file. See if it works. If you need the indicator assembly, I have one that I didnt need to use because a new flasher fixed it(maybe I outbid Taz on Ebay?-sorry didnt know you then). If the flasher fix works temporarily, a new one is cheap,but different than the standard 2 ,3 or 4 prong styles available at Pep boys.

10. Marlon T

Marlon T Rookie

Nov 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marlon Travis
    Hello all, does anyone know how to replace the driving light bulb on a 1995 GT 456?
    I took out the light fixture when I noticed that it was full of water, I pulled on the bulb ( the clear halogen) and it pulled away from the stainless housing. Now I have a right side light fixture that has a stainless housing but i can not for the life of me figure out what the part number is and how to replace this darned bulb.

Note my right side turn signal stopped working this weekend as well.
    Help me please......

Mark T
    1995 456 GT

11. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    All of them on the right hand side?

12. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  13. Marlon T

Marlon T Rookie

Nov 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marlon Travis
    Well the turn signal will flash possibly 4 or 5 times then stop. the Left side work just fine.
    There is a rubber " O" ring on the bottom of the fixture does anyone know where I can find a new one?
    Another issue that I just remembered my left side head light has stopped working, it does not pop up any longer anyone have a idea where I can find a new motor?

14. Marlon T

Marlon T Rookie

Nov 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marlon Travis
    Thanks I am looking for the bulb that goes into part E and the O ring on part C

15. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #15 Qavion, Jun 14, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2024
    Could be a relay, wiring, light pod gearbox fault. Don't want to do some simple faultfinding first?

16. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    That's the fog/daytime flasher according to the manual. Well, on USA cars it also functions as a foglight. Where are you located? Don't have an Owners Manual?

17. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Interesting. Sounds like it's tired. I guess it could be a hazard/turn module issue.

When it stops flashing after the 4 or 5 times, does it remain on (unflashing/dim)? If there's water in there, too, I would be first drying out the components and cleaning the contacts.

18. Marlon T

Marlon T Rookie

Nov 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marlon Travis
    Hmm not sure I will have to put the fixture back into the car to check. Will get back to you in a hour or so

Qavion likes this.
  19. Marlon T

Marlon T Rookie

Nov 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marlon Travis
    I did try cleaning and drying, also cleaned the contacts that is when the bulb came out of the housing. UGH!

Qavion likes this.
  20. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    For the headlight pod, try swapping these relays to see if the problem changes sides:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

If no luck, find the battery cutoff switch (and move it to cutoff). After doing this, can you raise the pod using the manual knob?

That will check the motor/gearbox mechanicals (cogs). It takes about a thousand turns to get it to go up :D Don't use the knob with the battery on unless you don't value your fingers (I assume the pod will bite you like most pop-up headlights).

When the pod is up, turn the battery back on. If the pod moves, your motor is ok. Turn off the lights. It could be a motor gearbox electrical contact issue or diode issue (The diodes are mounted on the motor/gearbox under sealant)

21. Marlon T

Marlon T Rookie

Nov 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marlon Travis
    I have just put the fixture back into the car and the hazard lights all work, but again the right turn signal does not work.
    As far as the motor /gear box, the motor goes up little by little until it will no longer move.

22. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Do you mean when you move it manually? How far does it go? Does the knob just keep spinning and nothing happens or does it jam?

Sounds like a typical dry solder joint in the Hazard/Turn module. Find the module under the dash, remove the case with some small flat screwdrivers or knife blades. I recall it's somewhere near the driver's left knee?

The module will look something like this inside.

Inspect the solder joint marked 15R.

Anyway, resolder the joint even if you can't see any cracks.

It's also possible that the indicator stalk is faulty. Remove the Hazard/Turn Module from its socket, and check for 12 volts here:

That is, with the ignition on and the stalk switch activated.

23. Marlon T

Marlon T Rookie

Nov 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marlon Travis
    OK sounds good I will look for that this weekend, always a project with the 456

24. Brendan Prestage

Feb 13, 2019
    Hi All

I have a 1994 456gt RHD that has the same problem. Everthing works except the indicator/emergency lights. I assume it is the flasher but have no idea where to find it. can anyone point me in the right direction to find the "flasher".

Thanks ALL

Brendan

25. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Doesn't sound like the same problem. The other gentleman's emergency lights were working. Can you confirm that your reverse lights and mirrors work? If they do, then it's not the fuse at fault.

Components are often found on the opposite side of the cabin on RHD cars, so it's best to go to a website like Eurospares and see what is found on LHD cars (many Ferrari parts diagrams show LHD cars)... and then reverse it.

https://www.eurospares.co.uk/Ferrari/456/456_GT_GTA/PartDiagrams/131/Electrical_Boards

So I'm guessing near the driver's right knee. It could be black or green. It should have 7 pins. Look for 12 volts dc on the module socket red/green wire (pin #4). Note that the module can be difficult to remove from the socket.

If power is there, pull the case off the relay and inspect the solder joint here:

If no faults visible, resolder anyway. Use a wedge shaped soldering iron to get sufficient heat into the joint (looks like there is a lot of solder on that one). Also check the solder on point "31" (the earth).

If still no luck, you may need a new flasher module. If no luck finding an OEM unit, the forum should be able to help you locate an equivalent (although it's important to make sure it's suitable for cars with the side repeaters found on Euro cars).

Note that pulling the module out of the socket can exacerbate issues (and even break other solder joints). It's probably best to inspect all the solder points marked in the photo (in black).