456 wheel fit | FerrariChat

456 wheel fit

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Greg W, Feb 16, 2018.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Greg W

Greg W Rookie

Aug 13, 2017
    Carlsbad, CA
    I know it has been asked but the other threads on the same question didn't give a direct answer. Will wheels from a 456 fit on a 3.0 qv mondial? The bolt pattern fits, The offset in the front looks close so it's the rear I don't know about. Also is the bolt length the same? Any chance anyone has them on a Mondial and has a pic?
    Thanks
    Greg

2. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    When I looked at this the rear offset was quite large and needed a spacer - like the 355 wheels do. A bigger challenge was the 10” width and weight of the wheel. As ever, I cant find my notes but I’m sure the wheel was heavy and so offered greater impact on handling. Sorry not to be more (at all) precise. Hopefully someone with a set ‘on’ can tell you they work fine.... as for bolts, I didn’t think they worked either, but I gave up the math when dealing with the spacers and weight issue anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Ps. Greg, I think the spacer was as much to clear the rear shock, as well as fill the arch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    what are the specs of the 456 wheels? Offset, sizes etc.

5. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    A quick search revealed that 456 all years were

F 17x8.5 ET 50
    R 17x10 ET25

F 18x7.5 ET 28
    R 18X10 ET 30

We all know that 360 wheels are common and known to fit on Mondials so using those for comparison ....

Starting with the rears. 5MM is just a touch over 1/4" So since the 456 and 360 rears are the same width, 5mm less offset means that the outer edge of the 456 wheel would be just over 1/4" further out towards the edge of the rear fender. Pretty much a non issue.

The fronts have almost a 1" difference in the offset, but also have a 1" difference in width 360 vs 456. Recall that offset is the space from the centerline of the wheel to the mounting flange/surface of the wheel.

So the greater offset of the 456 wheel basically means that the entire wheel is pulled closer to the inside or centerline of the car approx 1". But since the 456 wheel is 1" wider you recover 1/2" because of the wider wheel width. As such relative to the outside edge of the front fender a 456 wheel would be approx 1/2" further inside the fender than a 360 wheel which we know fits. The issue on the front would be with the larger width and offset could there be clearance issues on the suspension?