456 Wheels, your opinion ? | FerrariChat

456 Wheels, your opinion ?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by spiderscott, Dec 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Would 18" factory style wheels look better on a 456

1. Yes, go for it !!

19 vote(s)
    70.4%
  2. No, leave it stock 17"

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  1. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    I really like my 456 and think its a very undervalued car at the moment, however no matter how hard I try I just don't like the 17" wheels on the car. To me they look wrong to small and need to be an 18" rim.

Here's my dilemma though, no disrespect to everyone who has changed theres its all personal opinion but Ive yet to see a different set of rim aftermarket or 550, 575 etc on a 456 where Ive looked at it and thought .....YERRRR that's the ticket !!

Part of my issue is I always seem to side with the way the car was designed from factory and for me this generally results in sticking with the wheels that came with the car.

Does anyone else share my opinion on the 456 wheels or is it just me ?

I was thinking of working with a wheel company and sticking with the original design but to create them in 18" and put a slightly lower profile tyre on it ?

Never done a poll ....lets try it on this idea :cool:

2. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    they look small and your tire choices are dwindling

the 18 575 wheels are the nice choice, imho

spiderscott likes this.
  3. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    Out of all the 456 with different wheels I have seen, I agree the 575 look the best but theres something still not quite right with the look.

4. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    They need to be 5 spoke and simple/clean and I feel 550 rims work nicely.

I'm not entirely enamoured by the original factory 17" rims.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Boomhauer and Bluebottle like this.
  5. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
  6. mathewr

mathewr F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2011
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Wheel Guru
    550 18" Wheels are the way to go as in the above pictures!

I have a extra brand new in box set (never opened) from the factory.

Just PM me and we can make a deal. Free lighting fast shipping included. I need the garage space.

Cheers, Mat

7. davidoloan

davidoloan Formula Junior

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    Thé big wheel look is a very late 90’s early 2000’s trend.

Thé 456 can wear bigger wheels well, and it makes them look more up to date.

But, the lines are so good that eventually we will appreciate its place in time, the early 90’s. It looks good on the 17’s. Wheels got even bigger in the last decade, so each era will have its own look.

It’s only because the 456 design is quite timeless, that it can pull off bigger wheels for the time being.

However, it’s such an easy thing to change, I would say install the wheels you prefer, but keep the originals safe.

Laserguru likes this.
  8. davidoloan

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Original and best.

Tom Tjaarda used to say an E-Type on original wheels was like a beautiful woman in stiletto high heels. On big wheels and low profile rubber, a beautiful woman wearing sports running shoes. I think the same applies here especially since this is a GT first and foremost.

F456M, Bluebottle and killer58 like this.
  9. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
  10. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
  11. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    I originally wanted a newer set for my GTA, looked at 550, 575, and modular. I agree the original size tires look odd. Although I liked each wheel set in pictures, I didn’t like them enough to actually switch. I’ve since grown to like the OEM wheels. If I ever did swap, it would probably be to NF2s.

F456M and davidoloan like this.
  12. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i have a set of 456 17" and a set of the 575 18" for sale in the classified section

LETS MAKE A DEAL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

selling all this ferrari junk i have had lying around

have a tool kit also

panchosouth and F456M like this.
  13. davidoloan

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    Lionworks Auto and F456M like this.
  14. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    The aftermarket wheels say “look at me” too much. I like the subtly of the factory wheels and how it integrates with the subtly of the body styling. That’s the key of the 456 appeal. Subtle elegance and power. “What is that?”

Another reason badges on the 456 are like tattoos on beautiful woman.

F456M and davidoloan like this.
  15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Everybody's tastes are different. No correct answer except do whatever you want since it is your car. Personally, the larger wheels, especially the 19" ones, really update the look of the 456/456M.

Here is somebody who really wanted some changes. Incidentally, all the 17, 18, and 19 inch wheel and tire combinations have about the same 26" diameter, except for some (not all) of the rear tires on the NF2s.

Image Unavailable, Please Login View attachment 2638220 View attachment 2638221 View attachment 2638222 Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

JCYC, Boomhauer and Bluebottle like this.
  16. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Taz,
    You’re slowly convincing me to switch from OEM to NF2s.
    That and the fact it’s getting harder to find OEM tire sizes.

17. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    Some very interesting points being made here, seeing the different examples in one thread really helps. I'm still bias with sticking to original factory design idea but on an 18" replica and drop the car very slightly to offset the wheel gap. The goal for me would be to look at the car think theres something different to standard, but that is looks better than factory.

I did a similar change on my Testarossa Monodado & Stradale (same factory rims as they work) but I dropped the stance very subtly, most wouldn't notice but to me the car looks sharper.

In many pictures (bottom image being an example) the factory 17" look good, the big difference is in the flesh, when I walk up to my 456 I always get the feeling they just don't look 100%. The concave rears work better than the convex fronts IMO
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Interesting discussion!

I agree the 17 inch standard rims look a bit small for the car which has quite a lot of volume at the rear part of the body. The NF2 wheels looks great. But as time goes, these cars are being more and more a part of modern day classics. So the interesting thing is to tøsee how they came our from the factory, and to keep them like that. When I see a Ferrari, I can see that the car is original in 0,2 seconds when they have no alternativet wheels etc. And that is view that give me a kind og «piece of mind»because then it is obviius that there are no atempts made to improve on something that is already perfection in the first place. So original is perfect, but the NF2 or 575 rims would be a little bit cooler to put it like that! The 456 is more elegant than the 550/575 and will always be.

Here is mine. It did not disappoint in any way at all. Very strong car even if it had been in a collision and was repaired before I got it.

davidoloan likes this.
  19. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I agree the 17's don't seem to fill the wheel well against the modern aesthetic. 18's seem better. And yet all the options that have proven attractive such as the NF2 and the 575 Modulars are discontinued and unavailable (unless almost accidentally found and acquired surreptitiously with large bags of unmarked Rimni). Even semi-popular 18" HREs are discontinued. At present, I use the HREs and keep the 17" factory wheels for authenticity.

20. davidoloan

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    Exoticar Auto, username here on FChat reproduced 575 wheels, as you may know. I'm sure they could give you an idea of the costs and maybe a starting point. I guess you would have to make quite a few sets to make the price reasonable, and gauge interest first.

21. davidoloan

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    I see the "failing" in the aesthetic at the rear too, but it doesn't bother me. I think it was deliberate so as to remove aggression which comes at the cost of grace (the 550 is "pumped up" at the same location; different type of car). Perhaps the execution is slightly flawed. But I think the car looks great on 17"s especially when on the move. In the video below its looks like its dancing round the wet circuit.

Taz used the word update the look, and I think thats the right term. However, I think the update is only to reference the aesthetics of one generation forward, not the current generation. As time goes on, that update will start to look just a bit wrong, like the replica wheels you buy for the Dino, same design, just a little bigger. It will become less important to update the car and more important to celebrate its place in time. If you had a 330 GTC and you had wire wheels made that were 2 inches taller I think it would look a little restomod ............ However, if these things are done expertly you might not even notice, like the Singer wheels on their 911, although they modified the body and the whole comes together to make the look.

F456M and spiderscott like this.
  22. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  23. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Boomhauer likes this.
  24. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    The more attractive the wheels are, the less attractive the body looks like. There is a fine line where the wheels draws more attention than the rest imimof the car. It is the body of the car that should stand about and not the wheels! I think the 456 wheels look perfect for the car, but they should be 18 or 19 inches. On the other side, smaller rims with more rubber will make a «balloon tire» look. Snd the 456 has quite alot of roundness in its design. So the car match with some rubber too... The 456 is very sophisticated.

killer58 and spiderscott like this.
  25. Lionworks Auto

Lionworks Auto Formula 3

Oct 16, 2013
    Worthington OH
    Full Name:
    Ed