456gt window and central locking issue | FerrariChat

456gt window and central locking issue

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Dutch456gt, Jun 19, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dutch456gt

Dutch456gt Rookie

Jun 19, 2021
    Full Name:
    Arnoud Geerts
    Hello, I'm new to this forum so let me introduce myself. I'm Arnoud from the Netherlands and we have a 1994 Ferrari 456GT with manual gearbox.

I have the following problems:
    - driverside window works fine, but does not shut entirely. It also does not lower an inch while opening the door
    - passenger side window works as it should
    - central locking does not work. When you close the doors, they lock and one second later they open again
    - when you hold the key to the right in the doorlock, you feel a bit of resistance and then the doors stay locked

I think these problems are related, but can not find the cause of it. Seems like the ecu thinks that the driver side door is not closed? I have already cleaned the terminals on the window ecu. Does anybody have any suggestions to solve this problem?

kevinkw likes this.
  2. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    Before checking problems with the ecu, I would try checking inside the door handle lock mechanism. If you can remove the door panel, try testing by manually moving the 2 rods that connect the interior door handle and lock to the motor.

Pulling the interior door handle is also what activates the motor to lower the window. On older cars the metal moving parts can become very dirty and sticky, not allowing the door handle and locks to move freely. This can cause all kinds of issues related to what you're experiencing

3. Dutch456gt

Dutch456gt Rookie

Jun 19, 2021
    Full Name:
    Arnoud Geerts
    Thank you. I checked the rods and they were a bit tangled with the cable for the microswitch on the doorhandle. Is there a certain method for adjusting the rods?

4. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    You shouldn't need to adjust the actual rods, the main issue are the rotating levers they're attached to which push/pull the rods. Those metal on metal parts may need to be cleaned and re-lubricated to unstick them.

Here's a picture of the parts I'm talking about:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Dutch456gt

Dutch456gt Rookie

Jun 19, 2021
    Full Name:
    Arnoud Geerts
    Thanks for your answer. I did not check the rotating levers, so I will clean and lube them up. The rods are not moving very freely so this could be the problem.

6. kevinkw

kevinkw Karting

Apr 19, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    My 2001 also has sticky door locks. Pushing and pulling on the rods feels like the lubricants in the door locking mechanism has aged and getting gunky. How difficult was it to get in there to clean and re-lube the locking mechanism?

7. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell

Since the door closes and opens (using the interior/exterior handles) and locks (mechanically) with the key, personally, I would think it would be an electrical switch issue or even a Window ECU issue. Unfortunately, there are 8 or more door and window position-sensing switches on the 456.

According to past posts on FerrariChat, there are at least 3 switches which control the window drop/close function when the door is opened/closed. The inside door handle switch and the outside door handle switch (for window dropping) and the switch on the hook on the door pillar (for window closing). However, you would think that at least one of these would work. Of course, there may be one switch overriding the others (e.g. perhaps the door pillar hook switch telling the system that the door is closed, so the "door open" switches are not dropping the windows?)

Try giving the hook switch a spray with electrical cleaner. You may be able to remove the hook and check the operation of the switch with an ohmmeter.

If the switch is intermittent, try swapping the passenger and driver's hooks to see of the window problem transfers (They have the same part number: 63157000)

However, if this switch also tells the Window ECU that the doors are closed, allowing the central locking system to lock the doors, this kills my theory. A permanent "door closed" signal will not stop the doors locking with the fob.

Unfortunately, there are no useful wiring diagrams for the door/window electronics (so there is no way of checking switch function at the ECU) and the names of the switches in the Workshop Manual are very confusing.