456M for daily driving? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

456M for daily driving?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by kara, Jan 14, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I concur. Great color for a 456.

2. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    My 456 has a MUCH better turning radius than my Volvo, and MONDIAL T !! truly surprises me. I feel it is a very easy car to park and I have zero lack of confidence in parking it or turning in/on a regular street. The Volvo and T require some fwd/backing before negotiating even their wheel base.

Totally agree: Never thought the Brown [official name, ?], green or Yellow would appeal to me but the beauty of the 456 is it makes all look good. Pinanfarina always seem to wear over short, mid and long term.

BUT Still desire the exterior of the non-M model for the hood, and tail, active airfoil. however, the upgraded engine firing and internals are more desireable on the M... AND the front has some appeal too.

Something tells me that Ferrari will bring back that look later: sorry, the 612 doesn't do anything for me.

3. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I know this sounds crazy... and possibly doesn't belong here... but... have you ever considered purchasing like and 04 or newer maserati coupe or spyder?

I had one and drove it almost daily and drove it HARD when I drove it. It never let me down... ever... it was so comfortable. Has very nice features and options surprisingly turned more heads and receieved more compliments than my viper (which is an attention whore)

The fact that they run chains instead of belts is a huge help in the maintinance category and it has to good sized back seats.

Just a thought...

good luck in whichever you choose

4. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Don't they require 25mm spacers? I think the 360s have a 50 and 52mm positive offset compared to the V-12's 25 and 30mm offsets.

5. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    just to follow on "possibly doesn't belong here", but did you give up that car because it was leased? I too like the Masseratis, seems to help all the negative issues associated with Ferrari.

HMMMMMMMM, I wonder if I can drop a Masserati V8 into a 328?...........

6. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    I considered that before getting my 456, especially since I knew the maintenance costs would be far higher on a Ferrari V12. However, the interior of the 456 was roomier and--this is the hardest part to explain--just felt special. Sort of the feeling of "I am driving the best, the fastest 4-seat GT in the world." The 612 now holds that title, of course.

And a small point: she specified an automatic transmission; therefore, unless she gets a 2007 or 2008 Gran Tourismo or perhaps a 2006 GranSport, she is going to hate the Maserati's flappy paddle gearbox.

7. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    +1

except for the 456+ maintenance costs. A good example will cost less than a 348/355 and, although I'm not sure, other earlier v12 examples: 512's etc. There is a fair amount than can be done with engine in. What you may find , and a good PPI will help, is the radiator leacking, or blocked, exhaust/intake manifolds to be looked at for leaks, the hoses, the shocks, the automatic seat issues, and, the famous window gaps [EVEN if done by ferrari properly on the re-do], worn motor mounts, shrinking leather, and bubbles on climate controls [which are common on many other models].

8. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Maybe not far more expensive than other, earlier, Ferraris. I was only comparing the maintenance costs to 2002+ Maserati coupes and spyders.

9. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    oh, the Masers have us beat hands down there....but, no 12's that I know of.

10. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    I'm pretty sure there aren't any 12 cyl production Maseratis. I had a V6 74 Merak. No torque and scary hydraulic system, but in Imron Yellow it sure was a pretty car.

11. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Love the red and yellow...whenever you guys are ready to sell let me know! ;) Love those colors, the cars look GREAT!

James
    Austin, TX

12. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    do you wish you still had it?

13. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    LOL. No way. They're selling for $15K for a reason.

14. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    aw, they'll buff right out.

15. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    One of Georgetto Giugiaro's first designs after leaving Bertone and starting his own studio. The problem wasn't cosmetics or even body integrity. It was hydraulics and electrics. EVERYTHING ran off a hydraulic pump on the back end of the engine (a citroen idea): brakes, steering, clutch. When the pressure went down because the engine was off, you couldn't leave the car on an incline. Putting the car in gear didn't help because the clutch wouldn't keep engaged. I had a faulty handbrake and I left the car on a very slight incline next to my garage, put the car in gear and went into the house to get a flashlight to take a look at the cable. When I came out, the car had slid into my pond. I have a great video of the tow truck winching it out. It was a total loss, LOL.

16. DavidSB

DavidSB Karting

Jan 11, 2008
    Hi Kara,
    I'm new to the Ferrari world, looking for a 550 myself, but thought I'd pass along a link to a 2000 456M GTA for sale here in Santa Barbara. It's Tour de France blue over saddle, 11,600 miles, asking $89k from a local dealer I've done business with over the past 8 years. The link is: www.montecitomotors.com/cur_inv.php

17. kara

kara Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2007
    Ukraine in dreams/CA
    Full Name:
    Kara, Karalina
    You have a beautiful car Kent.
    That's the exact color I want!

I actually have considered Maserati.
    I personally know nothing about them though, and don't know anyone with one.

I've actually changed my mind and I decided I would be fine with a manual 456.

I know for a fact I won't be purchasing soon. I'm just researching a bit.
    I'm really on the hunt for a rosso fiorano though, and I'm betting it'll be awhile until I find one.
    But auto or manual both work for me.

Thanks again to all the replies.

18. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    #68 Chelle, Mar 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    lol, that happened to my BMW 750... apparently it was in park just enough to get the key out, not enough to stay in the driveway. Fortunately it missed the neighbors house :)

all I kept was the engine
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Strange lookin gator

20. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    lol! funny..... come to think of it when we pulled it out it DID have a fish inside...

21. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Did they rule out suicide?

22. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    My pond (My house at the time was on the shore of Chesapeake Bay) had snapping turtles the size of dinner plates, a real menace. They'd come to the surface to feed on the ducks.

23. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Actually, a week before, the hydraulic system had failed and I lost braking in the left front and right rear and just missed hitting a telephone pole going around a corner; the car almost committed murder, so maybe it was a suicide over its remorse.

24. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    I remember those... for a while I lived on the Chester river, and in college I stayed on the Miles river just upstream from St Michaels..
    Where were you on the bay? When they get that big they almost look like mini dinosaurs..

25. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Did you say or do anything to upset it?