456M for daily driving? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

456M for daily driving?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by kara, Jan 14, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Really? I would think that there would be a great deal of structural and electric work. Have you ever had an estimate?

2. f355c5

f355c5 Rookie

Apr 7, 2008
    4 get it repaired by GM

3. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    The unusual thing about the auto transmission of the 456 is that it is in the rear of the car and it shares the housing with the differential.
    It is true that it is derived from a GM model, however it is specfically developed for the 456 application, so you cannot take it to AAMCO and expect them to fix it, as they do with other GM products.
    On the other hand, saying that if it needs service you need to dump it and buy an entirely new assembly is also incorrect.
    There will be dealers that may suggest that, but there will be others, dealers and independents, that will be willing to service it and yes, there are proprietary parts that are available only from Ferrari, so the job will not be cheap.
    However, although this topic has been discussed in this forum extensively, I have not heard of anyone here having an automatic and complaining that it is malfunctioning or that he cannot find service for it.

4. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    no. but i was offered a car once that had started out as an auto, but had a manual transmission. the present owner had not idea what might have happened, so must have been done before he bought it. he was not ferrari-smart and had the car just to have a ferrari, so no further info there.

5. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    probably cheaper to install a complete corvette drivetrain. i wonder if the tranny bolt patterns are the same. or you could have a bracket fabricated.

6. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    Something tells me this was more than a small conversion. Any paperwork on this, would be interesting to see what the costs were converting an auto to manual on the 456!!! Would be a new lease on life for the damaged auto-trans models.

7. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    This is getting to sound like one of those "alligators in the sewers of NY" urban legends. The auto trans is integrated with the differential housing so IMHO, and readily admitting that I'm no expert, swapping out with a manual would probably be a pretty tall (and expensive) order.

8. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    Well, for that matter, also the manual sits in the back with the differential, so the job of swapping a 456 manual for a 456 auto is not out of the realm of the possibilities.
    Using instead the drivetrain of a Corvette would be an entirely different matter though.

9. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    well the guy didnt know enough about his car and it was in poor shape so i did not pursue it. it could have course had just been mistakenly been tagged with 'mgta' badges. but my assumption was as i put it above.

10. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I've seen pictures of manual transmission cars with mgta badges, so I know this has happened in the past (wrong badge, I mean). I'd think that's a more likely explanation.

11. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    Actually, a gentleman at FofSF was showing me his 456 M GT and it had the GTA badge inside. his statement " .. giusseppe, was asleep as usual.."