456m GTA 1999 stuck in Park and "Button" on shifter doesn't pop up | FerrariChat

456m GTA 1999 stuck in Park and "Button" on shifter doesn't pop up

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Lasse Laursen, Nov 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lasse Laursen

Lasse Laursen Rookie

Nov 2, 2017
    Full Name:
    Lasse Laursen
    Hi all,

I'm looking at a F456m GTA 1999 where the shifter is stuck in P. The engine doesn't start and the Top "Button" doesn't pop up

First if there is an error in the transmission og solonoid would that Be readable from the ODBll interface?
    Could the Park Lock be manual released?
    Is there a spring in the shifter or is this controlled by power to pop up the Button?

Egen the engine does NOT start (having original key fobs and pin) would there also be an ODBll code to read from onde of the ECU and by that give indikations?

Thanks in Advance - advise and guidance will be appreciated

Br

Lasse

2. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Lasse,
    I’m not an expert by any means, but my GTA had a similar problem befor I purchased it.
    Here’s what I do know:
    Yes, there is a spring inside the shift knob that raises the shift button, but it is not electrically powered. It’s just a compression mechanism. The entire shift mechanism has quite a few other moving pieces to it, but the spring is an easy first step to check.
    There is a transmission ECU and electrically powered lockouts that can prevent shifting, starting, and even getting the key out of the ignition.
    Some of the faults are indeed recoverable with an OBDII reader, but I don’t have a list of them.
    Id start by checking the shift linkage and the codes. Sounds mechanical to me.
    I can also tell you, GTA transmission problems get expensive very quickly.
    Good luck

3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    So, the problem is sometimes the magnet that is linked to your brake pedal can get stuck. You can see the magnet assembly by taking off the shift plate and unscrewing the ashtray, it's behind the ashtray. I have not had to replace it, but that's the likely culprit. That rod retracts whenever you press the brake pedal.

Attached Files:

Qavion likes this.