456M trickle charger | FerrariChat

456M trickle charger

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by 456Now, Jul 31, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 456Now

456Now Rookie

Jul 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Hello

I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction for the correct ctek or other charger that I could use to charge my 456M

However I would like to be able to plug it in to the cigarette lighter to charge it from that directly

If anyone has a name or link for the correct charger to do this that would be brilliant!

Many thanks

2. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Richard,

I would not use the lighter socket.

Instead, I recommend a Deltran Jr and hooking the pigtail directly to the battery.
    Lead the connector end out the side vent and zip tie it in place.
    No need to pinch the cord in the door, and it's easy to attach and detach

I'll take a photo of this exact setup this weekend and send it.

3. 456Now

456Now Rookie

Jul 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Thank you, a photo would be good

Could I ask however why not use the lighter socket?

Many thanks

4. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
  5. robert_fulton

robert_fulton Rookie

Apr 28, 2004
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert Fulton
    Another reason not to use the "cigar lighter" is that it is, in fact, sized for cigars, and standard cigarette lighter adapters will not fit, so you would have to find a properly sized adapter and hack it onto the charger. I just lift the hood and hook up a charger/maintainer when I will be leaving or have left the car for more than three weeks, which I find is about the time for the clock to discharge the battery to any significant extent...

6. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    C-tek does provide a cigar lighter plug to fit their charger, if you really want one.

7. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Ctek provides one but Ferrari doesn't accept one. Pretty sure cig lighters don't work for tenders on ferraris.

Sent from my BBB100-3 using Tapatalk

8. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Exactly as mine is setup as well. Haven't had a single soul ask me what the little black connector hanging in the passenger side gill vent is for. Few notice, the ones who do, know what it is for. No muss, no fuss.

9. Andrew D.

Andrew D. F1 Rookie

Jul 6, 2008
    Goodwood Ontario
    Full Name:
    Andrew D.
    I wired a C-Tec directly to the battery and ziptied it near the r front engine where there is a space. The cord end sits just out of the front r. grill. Used it for years only when I don't drive the car for a month. No problems. Just leave it plugged in over the winter.

au-yt likes this.
  10. 456Now

456Now Rookie

Jul 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    Richard
    i think this is the way i will go so whenever you have a chance a photo would be awesome. Thank you everyone for advice!!

11. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Photo as promised:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

The pigtail is zip-tied to the top vent strake, then routed and connected to the battery.
    When not in use, it tucks out of sight behind the fender.
    This way, I don’t have to pop the bonnet or crimp it in the door.

12. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Yup, just like that.

13. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    A battery is a battery. I understand wanting a clean looking connection, but seriously, my ancient Schumacher 10 Amp Twin Rate trickle charger set on deep cycle works better than anything else I've ever tried. I've had it twenty years now and have used it on everything from BMW motorcycles to my Ferraris. I had a pigtail set up for my 360 with flat blade connectors so I could continue to use it (It has alligator clips).

14. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    I use the same Deltran install in all my cars. Zero problems in the last 10 years (didn't use them before that)

15. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Indeed. I have an old charger which is great when you want a faster charging cycle. But it does do a maintenance trickle charge very well. Just doesn't have the current monitoring smarts like the newer ones. Still works though.

G. Pepper likes this.