458 12v Socket "Loose"-- Need Ideas | FerrariChat

458 12v Socket "Loose"-- Need Ideas

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by cavsct94, Aug 6, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cavsct94

cavsct94 Karting

Aug 26, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'm not entirely sure how to describe this, but none of my normal accessories-- radar detector, USB chargers, etc.-- seem to fit into the 12v socket on my car. They all wiggle around and lose connection.

Any ideas for how to fix this?

2. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    This isn't a "problem" with the car. Unfortunately, it's a European sized socket, and it can be annoying with certain accessories (some fit tighter than others).
    Older Porsches have this same issue I believe.
    IIRC my passport radar detector (way back when) came with a shim to put around the plug, so the fit in the socket was tighter on European cars.
    I have looked up and down for these shims and I can't find them anywhere. I know that some people just shim it with a sliver from a soda bottle, toothpicks, or black tape etc.
    My 360 fit very loose and trying to maintain a connection was a nightmare. I now have a 458 and thankfully the plug fits much better (I use the Anker car charger). It's still "loose", but it takes a harder nudge for it to lose connection.
    It's frustrating, but I haven't seen a clean solution since the 80's-early 90's with that shim.
    Please let us know if you find a solution.

3. cavsct94

cavsct94 Karting

Aug 26, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Full Name:
    Mike
  4. cavsct94

cavsct94 Karting

Aug 26, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Full Name:
    Mike
  5. cavsct94

cavsct94 Karting

Aug 26, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Don't buy that. Definitely not the right thing. Back to the drawing board!

6. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Correct. You have a standard cigarette lighter, it is simply a "loose" tolerance than is typical. The two items you listed above are DIN electrical plug adapters commonly used in BMW motorcycles and Ferraris in the 1960s to early 1980s. The DIN plug is completely different than a cigarette lighter plug and is exclusively used for electrical accessories using that special plug. On BMW motorcycles it was often used for an electric vest for the rider, and for older Ferraris, it could power an accessory, corded trouble light while changing a tire (for example).

7. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I use a bit of thin cardboard on each side of the plug when I push it into the 12 volt socket, works fine

8. cavsct94

cavsct94 Karting

Aug 26, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks. I went ahead and had my radar detector hardwired and found a phone charger that fits mostly well, but I might shore it up with some cardboard to make it tighter.

9. TAM340R

TAM340R Karting

Jul 26, 2015
    I found this on eBay and it is perfect with just a small and easy modification
    https://www.befr.ebay.be/itm/Car-Auto-Motorcycle-12V-Cigarette-Lighter-Power-Plug-Receptacle-Socket-Outlet/291612426195?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

You have to dismantle it...just one screw , take the metal sleeve out and cut a part from the bottom ,,,you will have a sleeve and put it in the socket ...
    The internal and external diameters would be perfect...
    Remove the small screw
    There are 2 small plastic tongues attaching the plastic part to the metal one...pry them out with a small flat screwdriver..
    Then saw the bottom part of the metal sleeve et VOILÀ ;-) you have a prefect adapter !
    Sorry for my bad English ...I hope it is understable...
    Let me know :)

Tam

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Alex Constantinidis

Nov 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Alex C
    A bit of a hack but does the trick... My DiY solution made with cable ties. This provides sufficient resistance on the sides to keep the charger in place.

just bend and push the side cable ties into the socket
    Image Unavailable, Please Login