458/488 Brake Recall | Page 27 | FerrariChat

458/488 Brake Recall

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Hopeful, Oct 30, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. todd cloud

todd cloud Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    All cars with antilock braking systems must follow this procedure.

2. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Yes, to properly flush the small amount of fluid in the ABS system that is correct. I am referring to the possibility that a pressure bleeder can cause damage to seals.

Like many, I have used the Motiv pressure bleeder on several cars--all with ABS--and never encountered any problems.

3. todd cloud

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    understood
    thank you

4. SD455TA

SD455TA Formula Junior

This makes a great deal of sense. Not following procedures, using old outdated methods, etc., all contribute to the possibility that latent problems could come forward at some point. In addition to that, we can never know what someone does to "their" car by altering certain things to gain an advantage which may also become problematic. To simply "blame" the car company in this case Ferrari, can just be shooting from the hip. Other car makers have much bigger sample sizes to work off of where Ferrari does not and all Ferrari wants to do is not harm its brand even if it is not at fault and offer solution even if its really not a solution. I'd like to see them put the system on a bench and use the non recommended methods to see if it brings out the problem. And yes, you usually get what you pay for and a cheap service might just cost you a whole bunch more in the end.

5. Hopeful

Hopeful Karting

May 31, 2019
    Vero Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Tony M.
    Well, I can guarantee that at least 3 of the 488's that had complete loss of brakes due to fluid dumping into the booster were all under original warrantee and only serviced by authorized Ferrari service centers. The only people "shooting from the hip" are those trying to make a case that the problem doesn't exist or that it is due to negligence or lack of braking experience by the owners. Possibly the Ferrari service procedures are lacking but I doubt it.

Coincid likes this.
  6. SD455TA

SD455TA Formula Junior

Oh you can guarantee something can you, well, thats certainly isn't good enough. Show the proof, or your hips are shooting. I wouldn't put Ferrari procedures at fault in any way and there is little doubt there.

7. Hopeful

Hopeful Karting

May 31, 2019
    Vero Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Tony M.
    One car is mine and the other 2 are from someone I know and am in communication with on the subject. It is apparent you just wish to be contrary. Fine, don't do the recall. You may be lucky (due to your exemplary braking skills) and never have a problem. If it turns out you are not so lucky and eventually have a problem, I doubt you'll be back here to report on it.

StealthFox, Coincid, nmcclure and 2 others like this.
  8. SD455TA

SD455TA Formula Junior

My recall has been completed and so what, the gauge comes on sooner, whoopie. I know someone who knows this guy that has this car and he also knows someone that give stock advice too,......good luck to you of course. So what did you do with your car? I would think that you would have a litany of things to communicate with us such as work orders, possible re-fabrication of parts, in depth pictures, technical analysis, communications and so on. I just don't believe a word of this topic

9. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    I don't get the pushback on what Tony (Hopeful) is saying personally

There has definitely been more than 1 harrowing account on here of a loss in brake pedal feel/booster with what I believe are 488's, which is very concerning especially if it has gotten to the point where Ferrari has to issue out these massive recalls (with another one just announced for a whole lot of other models outside of 458/488)

I sure hope that the recall addresses whatever is potentially causing that loss in braking, although updating the software and a small reservoir cap has me skeptical

Bigbobo likes this.
  10. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

My opinion is they have just reset the ECU to send the alarm at a less percentage drop.

I believe a few cars have failed and to why ? They dont know. Just make everyone change the cap as its a cheap part.

In no way will I claim there isn't a problem. However I dont believe the cap is the solution. I believe they have been proactive just to get the alarm to sound at a smaller loss. Give you time to get the car into the shop.

elt360 likes this.
  11. DannyPsalm91

DannyPsalm91 Rookie

Aug 15, 2022
    Full Name:
    Danny Davis
    took car in for the recall and the dealer warned me that the update might "black out" my digital screen in dash. And if it did then i would be on the hook for the repairs. I told them hard pass on the update if I'm going to be liable for damage to my car from their update. Supposedly they did not do the update, but since i got the car back my LED steering wheel is not working. I was an ad on to the car after purchase but has always worked from day one of install. Now i got nothing. Odd timing for a problem with it. Anyone else had problems or similar warnings?

12. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Looks like they have reset your car. Go back to them so as to reset the LED's again. There is also the possibility they deleted the LED function. IIRC its in the manual to turn them off.

Maybe someone can chime in.

13. todd cloud

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Just the cluster software is reflashed.
    No ECU reflash.
    A number of clusters are bricking after the reflash

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  14. DannyPsalm91

DannyPsalm91 Rookie

Aug 15, 2022
    Full Name:
    Danny Davis
    Mandalay - Sorry but what is IIRC? I hope they did not do that, going back is painful. They were taking pictures of car, saying the car was "heavily modified". Has exhaust and radar detectors/cameras. Lowered with wheels but nothing like a twin turbo kit. All high end ad ons but they definitely were not happy with any of it.

15. todd cloud

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    IIRC = If I Recall Correctly

MANDALAY likes this.
  16. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    That is insane

17. Mafiaboy1975

Mafiaboy1975 Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2019
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mick

Check the menu settings perhaps they turned it off there. You can turn the LEDs on and off in the settings menu.

Re bricking the cluster I’d write to Ferrari in Italy and ask. I have written them a few times and they have always helped. I doubt they would say you are liable here. Seems bizarre. Especially on a safety recall.

Dm me if you want I have their contact details.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

18. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    For what its worth, YOU modified your Ferrari, with aftermarket electronics, which can cause the instrument cluster to brick when performing the software update, that is in no way Ferrari's problem. I think you made the right decision to not move forward, as I personally have witnessed this occurring on 458/488's where the owner failed to notify us of aftermarket items on the car. End result, bricked cluster. I've witnessed a cluster brick where the current owner was unaware of aftermarket bits that had been added to the cluster itself... difficult call to make.

As for the LED's not working, if they indeed worked before, you may check the settings as other have suggested. To completely remove the LED option would require a proxy file from the factory, which would run $2,500.00 +

S

19. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Insane that an owner would be responsible for what happens to their Ferrari for aftermarket items that they added, that result in negative consequences?

THAT is insane.

S

Tony91505 likes this.
  20. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Forgive me if I misread or was mistaken S, but I was reading that just getting the brake recall software update done by Ferrari could result in bricking the dash computer, and leaving the owner on the hook to fix that?

Wasn't quoting or concerned with anything aftermarket..

SAFE4NOW and nmcclure like this.
  21. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know

The dash computer can brick when aftermarket components are present.
    I have not experienced first hand or know of one that has bricked, in unaltered condition.

My apologies as well, I understood your comment to say it was insane that a client would be responsible when they had added aftermarket parts, as the OP outlined he had, and that Ferrari would not pay for it.

Steve

22. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    This recall will damage Ferrari results; they will require a disclosure on sales soon:
    1. Dealers have customers refusing delivery due to brakes
    2. Market values will be hit
    3. Tom Fleming, the US HQ customer man, usually so helpful has turned his phone off and is not returning calls -- they've battened down the hatches --
    4. Q3 will be ... disappointing after the glowing increases projected at Q2 call
    5. I put the stock, we shall see!

23. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I disagree, any damage will be extremely short lived. New car sales will be unaffected. There are plenty who will take the place of someone refusing delivery...Ferrari will continue to sell everything they can manufacture. There may be a few hiccups with this recall initially, but Ferrari will get it straightened out, with no lasting issues.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  24. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    “Q3 will be disappointing.”

I doubt that very much. :rolleyes:

RBarbieri and f355spider like this.
  25. todd cloud