458/488 Brake Recall | Page 28 | FerrariChat

458/488 Brake Recall

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Hopeful, Oct 30, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway

Haha, Maybe and hopefully you're right but I've given you the downside case to hedge.

2. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    I have 3 500 mile road trips planned, then a 2000 mile one -- It's no fun worrying about brake failure. My first 250 miles are to a meeting i can't miss - thinking of going a day early in case I arrive on a flat bed.
    Alternatively I can take the RSQ8, but then what use is the Pista?

3. Jarviper

Jarviper Rookie

Jul 18, 2021
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Rose
    NHTSA received a complete pedal to the floor brake failure complaint on 9/5/22, from a 2017 Ferrari 488 owner who crashed at the Circuit of Americas on 9/4/22, who had the recall work completed and his brake reservoir was full of fluid and checked before the track event and after the track event according to the complaint.. Based on this NHTSA Complaint Number 1482908 I don't know if you should make the trip in your Ferrari or not. Have you had your recall completed by your dealership. I wonder if there have been other brake failures after the recall work was completed?

4. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    #679 FerrariCognoscenti, Sep 8, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
    I’ve had that too as a result of brake fade and hard driving on track while using crappy OEM CCM rotors, OEM pads, and OEM brake fluid.

This complaint doesn’t indicate anything other than someone was driving their Ferrari in extreme conditions without likely making any changes to increase necessary brake performance and they were inexperienced and couldn’t sense the brakes were fading until they disappeared.

I mean honestly for all of us who track our cars who would ever file an NHTSA complaint!?!?! Sounds like someone just wants to get Ferrari NA to cover the likely six figure repair bill after insurance denied the claim for track use. This lacks a lot of legitimacy.

The symptom of the Bosch brake cylinder failure is a hard pedal that won’t goto the floor. A pedal that goes straight to the floor means the driver cooked his brakes, boiled his brake fluid, and let it get so bad that he completely lost the brakes. This is driver error and not a fault of the car. If you feel your brakes fading on track then you slow and let them cool, and if bad enough you come into the pits and end your session early, then bleed your breaks in between sessions. This driver sounds very inexperienced.

LVP488, Need4Spd and SD455TA like this.
  5. Hopeful

Hopeful Karting

May 31, 2019
    Vero Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Tony M.
    My 488 has never been tracked and the pedal went straight to the floor driving 45 mph around town. The brake fluid has been changed annually by Ferrari and was only 3 or 4 months old when it happened. Ferrari reported it was a complete dump of brake fluid into the booster.

I don't know whether or not the tracked car cooked his brakes but the pedal to the floor happens on non-tracked, well-maintained, non-abused cars as well.

Coincid likes this.
  6. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Steve does “bricking” mean?

As far as car mods, I only did Novitec springs and HRE wheels is stock 20” size. My dealer did the work but I’d think Ferrari would not cover a shock issue due to the springs which is understandable. I don’t believe the springs and wheels would effect anything else for car warranty do you?

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  7. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Bricking
    eg seized but electronically lol

8. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Interesting question. Opinions welcome.

9. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Bricking = turning the car into an immovable object, electronically. Aftermarket software or wired in components could / have caused problems with the download, corrupting the file. Cars with aftermarket items have had problems and to the best of my knowledge cars that are still stock have not had problems.

Springs and wheels, could they affect a vehicles warranty? Lowering springs change vehicles suspension Dynamics, obviously that’s why owners do it. At the same time the vehicles electronics are not calibrated for the change. Which when hitting a irregularity in the roadway, where an original vehicle or may not have an issue, the lowered vehicle would translate or transmit the irregularity more harshly, causing the airbag or airbags to deploy. The airbag crash sensor is calibrated to the OEM ride. Not a warrantable repair.

Wheels , also yes, we had a client who installed a set of aftermarket wheels with what I would consider to be in aggressive Aerodynamic design. Said client came in complaining of a high-pitched harmonic sound while driving under specific parameters. Said client was less than respectful in his insistence that the brakes were the cause, so much so that he called Ferrari who then instructed us to replace the brake pads and rotors all the way around… which we did. After doing so, the noise persisted. It turned out that the wheels were creating the sound, when we swapped OEM wheels back on the car the noise immediately stopped, we put the aftermarket wheels back on and the noise restarted immediately. The dealership ended up paying for the brakes because we assumed that in the clients conversation with Ferrari he would’ve disclosed he had aftermarket wheels, he did not and when we told them about the ultimate solution, they washed their hands of it as warranty clearly states that aftermarket items void said warranty … oh and the owner, he refused to pay for the brakes even though he’s the one who initially insisted that they were the cause and had called Ferrari to complain that we wouldn’t replace them…
    ( we did not believe the brakes were the cause )

So, do they void the warranty, not necessarily, but as my two examples above demonstrate , they could…under unique circumstances.

The above examples are just my first hand experience YMMV.

Steve

10. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Thanks for this reply…. Much appreciated. Ive been thinking really hard about getting the car back to stock…remove the Novitec springs and sell the car.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  11. SD455TA

SD455TA Formula Junior

Please SELL IT already, get those springs out of there and DO IT. Adios.

12. ilko

ilko Karting

Aug 20, 2008
    "Pedal to the floor" is a different issue than a malfunctioning master cylinder. When my brakes failed the booster wasn't working. Pedal felt normal, but the car was barely stopping. That's due to the master cylinder failure and fluid leaking into the booster.

13. dpwracing

dpwracing Rookie

Aug 28, 2022
    Full Name:
    Dan Wilson
    Ugh, worrisome thread.

I just got a 488 which looks like had the recall service done (found the insert in my warranty booklet).

On a cool morning last weekend I had to get some heat in the brakes to get them to work decently. Even after getting some heat into them they were kind of wooden. Wondering if a pad change would help.

14. SD455TA

SD455TA Formula Junior

How does hell no on the pad change work for you?, it should, that ain't gonna do it. Don't look for a problem that doesn't exist. I know about brake line failures and no pedal, this is not one of those, so you have nothing to worry about. I think that this problem was created by people who hadn't a clue about anything and/or misused their vehicles. My brakes on my 2015 Speciale Aperta are FLAWLESS!,

15. Giallo27

Giallo27 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    JB
    I guess that this statement is too daring. Problems are there, brakes are supposed to be utilized by everyone, not just those above average.

CCM brakes are pure ice when cold, on the open road it is very difficult to heat them up; I’ve felt several times it’s wooden touch and is scary the least, if you are aware in advance you’ll keep pushing harder and harder until real grip shows up but I insist, what if my mother takes the pony for a ride? Shall Ferrari put a disclaimer sticker on the window?

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando FerrariChat

16. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I'm not subtle enough to experience that - it could be that I'm completely insensitive, or that the issue has to do with improper bedding.

Rexcat458 and SD455TA like this.
  17. michaelo

michaelo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2006
    Tn.
    Full Name:
    Michael O.
    Had the brake recall done today at the new dealership in Nashville, Tn.
    First of all, the dealership is impressive.
    The service manager, Colt, the technicians and sales people couldn’t have been cooler.
    Great experience.

18. Mrpseudonym

Mrpseudonym Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 7, 2020
    Sydney, Australia
    What a perfect name for a Service Manager in Nashville!

michaelo likes this.
  19. VelocityTexas

VelocityTexas Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2019
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    Dropped off today at Boardwalk. I was told 2 to 2 1/2 hour job.

20. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Assuming the brakes are functioning normally just compare to any normal car. When I drive the F12 the brakes are stellar. No need to add all that heat to get them to bite.

21. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    According to a National Highway Traffic Safety Administration recall filing, a total of 23,555 Ferrari models sold in the US, almost every car its sold since 2005, with a potentially faulty brake fluid reservoir cap that may not vent pressure adequately. This can lead to a vacuum in the reservoir, potentially causing brake fluid to leak. If the brake fluid reservoir runs dry, this can lead to total brake failure.

Ferrari has been aware of this issue for many years. Claims by an individual who is unhinged and bereft of any sense of civility, that this is a non issue and caused by people who haven't got a clue or misused their cars is patently absurd.

StealthFox, Tony91505 and mdrums like this.
  22. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I am surprised the NHTSA did not consult with SD455 , who is clearly the world's foremost expert on anything Ferrari, before issuing the recall. According to the esteemed 455, if a Ferrari suffers total or partial brake failure, or rock hard wooden pedal, the fault resides with the moronic Ferrari owner or the inept service contractor. His car has been flawless therefore proving that Ferrari is blameless.

dpwracing, Hopeful and Tony91505 like this.
  23. john.b

john.b Rookie

Sep 22, 2022
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    john bloom
    very interesting thank you for this !

24. SD455TA

SD455TA Formula Junior

Never pretended to be sir. Also, that sample size you cite is very very small in the scheme of things. A lot of room for improper conclusions.

25. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Maybe I missed this…but is this brake recall for Ferrari’s in Europe, and other parts of the world too?