458/488 Brake Recall | Page 29 | FerrariChat

458/488 Brake Recall

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Hopeful, Oct 30, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    #701 rob5819, Sep 22, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
  2. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Hi Rob, I’ve had my recall done. What I was asking is….is this recall in the rest of the world or just the USA?

rob5819 likes this.
  3. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
  4. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
  5. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    Apologies, I see your point now. Every article I read is just about Ferrari North American. An interesting question. https://www.newsnationnow.com/us-news/ferrari-recalling-23555-cars-dating-back-to-my2005-over-possible-brake-failure/. Hard to imagine it's only US cars since I've read about failures elsewhere, but nothing I've read confirms the recall elsewhere. Planning to drop my 458 off tomorrow for the recall and pick up our new Portofino M (which will eventually be subject to the recall). I'll ask my service advisor if he knows.

mdrums likes this.
  6. Giallo27

Giallo27 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    JB
    Gents. It is around the globe not just USA.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando FerrariChat

mdrums likes this.
  7. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Have no idea to your reference of my sample size. The recall applies to virtually every Ferrari manufactured from 2005. 100% of the cars appears to be more than a very small sample size.

8. SD455TA

SD455TA Formula Junior

Lets put it this way, when Ford initiates a recall for example it can be predicated on hundreds of thousands of cars which allows them to look at the big picture. Here with Ferrari, its only 23000+ and the 100% does not mean a thing. Now, EXACTLY how many documented failures have there been and what are the circumstances surrounding those claims. I have yet to see that, its all this guy that guy blah blah blah. Then if put a microscope to it, it becomes clear that claims can be resulting from other factors such as racing and not using the braking systems correctly. I have to take a contrarian approach to this because I haven't seen anything yet to change that view. Ferrari is only doing what they have to to keep the lawyers at bay. I mean c'mon, a change of a reservoir cap and changing the parameters on the gauge warning system, like thats gonna solve a problem. Give me a brake ha ha. Therefore at this point it is clear to me that there is more involved here. If in fact Ferrari was culpable in anyway that they know of, they would replace the necessary components within that system. As of right now, I remain very confident in the system in my car. It works fantastic and I am not concerned about some rogue failure coming out of the clear blue sky.

9. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    #709 Coincid, Sep 23, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
    Ford produces millions of car per annum. Ferrari manufactured 23000 vehicles from 2005 onward. The recall encompassed every Ferrari car. The issue was not due to something trivial. It dealt with faulty brake systems that could potentially involve fatalities. Most normal minded owners would in all likelihood, be concerned that in the event of brake failure, lives may be lost. Happy for you that you are unbothered.Ignorance is bliss.

elt360 likes this.
  10. SD455TA

SD455TA Formula Junior

Be careful whenyou say ignorance is bliss, it just might be you. You didn't answer the question because I know you don't know the answer and thats OK, but, EXACTLY how many documented complaints and responses have there been? Separately, statistics rely's greatly on larger sample sizes to determine accuracy. This sample does not do that. For Ferrari to put 23,000 reservoir caps and change gauge parameters is nothing more than a joke. In the next post I am going to copy from FerrariCognoscenti might be something additional for you to consider.

11. SD455TA

SD455TA Formula Junior

I am sure you have read this but if not, it is good food for thought. If you have read it, its worth reading again.

12. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    #712 Coincid, Sep 23, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
    I do not know how many miles you have driven on your Speciale, but please continue driving it but hopefully only in isolated areas.

13. SD455TA

SD455TA Formula Junior

Thanks and you do the same.

14. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    You can read the class action lawsuit which I’ve attached. A Ferrari engineer testified at a criminal trial that Ferrari knew about the defect. There have actually been many cases ranging from simple property damage to wrongful death accidents from the brake failure. This is a known problem which lead to the eventual recall.

Attached Files:

mdrums, Dicecal and Gh21631 like this.
  15. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    A friend of mine has a lawsuit because of a brake failure in a 488 challenge car. Ferrari did not accept fault although they released a fix and called it something else. Now there is a lawsuit.

16. todd cloud

todd cloud Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    A Ferrari engineer testified at a criminal trial that Ferrari knew about the defect

This is not an accurate summation of the engineer's testimony at that trial

mkraft3003 and f355spider like this.
  17. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Correct, it would be more accurate to say: "A Ferrari engineer testified in a crimina trial on Ferrari's behalf, so they should be aware of the defect"

18. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    Todd is correct. The expert that testified about the brake failure was ultimately rejected by the Court. I should have stated that the Plaintiff in the class action lawsuit alleges that Ferrari knew about it.

I didn’t mean to derail this thread and I was just trying to comment that there was a class action lawsuit and now a recall. (I should have left out any other commentary). Bottom line these types of recalls help protect individuals and the public (along with minimizing potential future liability for a manufacturer).

mdrums and Coincid like this.
  19. todd cloud

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    nope
    the engineer testified there was nothing wrong with the defendant's brakes
    he was in race mode in a parking deck and killed someone

SD455TA and f355spider like this.
  20. todd cloud

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    in both instances described in the complaint the plaintiff ignored the dash warning and continued driving?

SD455TA likes this.
  21. 488gtbb

488gtbb Rookie

Aug 6, 2022
    Full Name:
    Blackice
    #721 488gtbb, Apr 4, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2023
    Very well said. Ferrari Needs to update this
    Damn parts made by Bosch.

My car is in service due to this problem.

Thank god it happened on a highway gas station, not in city traffic.

This problem is like a ticking Time Bomb.
    THIS CAN HAPPEN TO YOU!!
    it happened to me.

My car even had the Recall performed when it was under the previous owner in 2022 and it still happened again.

First the the stupid resorvior cap with diaphragm and the software update.
    It looks like the warning system clearly works.

Im located in Asia and the dealer, this time will replace the entire system.( resorviour, master cylinder and booster)

And yet no parts update/ no revisions are made. Getting replaced with the same parts number.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds and Stams like this.
  22. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

OK so a very simple question : Have you lifted the bonnet and checked to see the level of brake fluid in the reservoir ????

Is it low and how much ?

23. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Both my 14 458 s and 2021 F8 s have had the recall done.
    One strange brake issue I’ve noticed in the 458 had to do with a reluctance to engage reverse and engage 1st which was accompanied by a hard pedal and a warning light to depress the brake pedal

I’d have to apply more pedal pressure than normal to overcome this event. Sent the car to the service center and they diagnosed a faulty check valve. After replacement the issue is resolved. The car ha$ 137,000 miles at the time and didn’t exhibit any brake weakness or misbehavior while driving, only at start up when trying to back out and when parallel parking which was obviously at low speed.

The F8 which has 29,000 miles exhibits reduced braking when brakes are cold or wet. You must apply more pedal force when compared to the 458. This can catch you off guard Once you understand the difference in the system, then you know to be ready to use more force.

Fortunately never had the fluid loss with catastrophic failure.

saw a post about momentary low brake fluid warning light with high g driving. Experienced that in my 360 accelerating hard on a tight uphill corner. I concluded that the fluid level inside the reservoir had pulled due to the G force to trigger the sensor. After reading this thread, makes me wonder if during high g forces, if the tilting of the fluid level could somehow allow air into the hydraulic pipes / system. Needless to say air in the master will lead to s soft spongy ineffective response I doubt this would create a hard pedal or one that goes to the floor

PMiranda likes this.
  24. 488gtbb

488gtbb Rookie

Aug 6, 2022
    Full Name:
    Blackice
  25. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke

Holy moly. Sure does not give one much warning. I wonder how long it will be before Ferrari will issue a recall to replace master cylinder and boosters. What a terrible situation to be in. I just can not imagine what the big defect is on the master cylinder is to allow complete evacuation of the fluid into the booster. Must be a totally inferior or misplaced seal. It would seem like the rear piston seal would be a good enough seal to prevent a retrograde bleed of the brake fluid into the booster but I do not know.