458/488 Brake Recall | Page 5 | FerrariChat

458/488 Brake Recall

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Hopeful, Oct 30, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jjp11

jjp11 Karting

Sep 1, 2013
    The hard brake pedal while the car is cold and traveling at slow speeds is commonplace with these cars. I experience it as well. The recall is to address a catastrophic failure where the brake pedal completely fails under any driving condition. Although the first issue is rather annoying, it's not the reason for the recall.

Sent from my SM-G981V using FerrariChat.com mobile app

italiafan likes this.
  2. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    Hi everyone, I'm just trying to get my head around this. I agree with FFan5. My experience (all on Non-Ferrari cars) has always been that if you have a leak or air in the break system, you get a soft pedal. If you have a failed brake booster, you get a hard pedal. Based on what I am reading here, a leak is resulting in a hard pedal? Is this more of a case of brake booster failure regardless of the leak? Thanks.

docf likes this.
  3. Hopeful

Hopeful Karting

May 31, 2019
    Vero Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Tony M.
    Some have had a small leak of fluid into the booster resulting in a hard pedal and reduced stopping power. Others have had a large dump of fluid into the booster (enough to trigger the Low Brake Fluid warning) and complete loss of brakes. How/why the fluid leaks into the booster is beyond by automotive knowledge.

4. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    Ok, sounds like the brake fluid leak into the booster ruins the booster creating a hard pedal? The large dump of fluid into the booster ruins the booster and creates complete loss of brakes which I take that to mean a soft pedal?

5. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    The master cylinder bolts to the face of the booster. There is a seal there in the master where the pushrod goes into it from the booster.

Rexcat458 likes this.
  6. Spezia

Spezia Karting

Dec 15, 2019
    Full Name:
    John Weires
    Thanks for the clarification. That is good to know.

7. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    I see you are also in Florida…. What dealership lost your confidence? I’m not warm about my dealer but I keep learning more that I am also not the only Ferrari owner locally that feels the same. Thanks…

8. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    I hope you reported your experience to FNA. Things won’t change without FNA being aware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Jarviper

Jarviper Rookie

Jul 18, 2021
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Rose
    This is Jeff Rose and both my 2018 488 GTB's experienced complete brake failure and brake fluid was found in the boosters. I had a complete pedal to the floor brake loss on 6/4/21 and 7/17/21. Ferrari initially reported in the NHTSA Chronology of Defects that "Ferrari has had no reports of injuries or deaths as a consequence of this issue." Anybody besides me file a report of injury with Ferrari? My cell is (314) 540-4639.

10. TR007

TR007 Karting

Jun 5, 2018
    The Woodlands, Texas
    Full Name:
    Trevor Roberts
    This is very concerning as a 2019 488 spider owner (and have an F8 spider on order) as it will reflect very badly on the brand. They need to be more proactive in dealing with this issue.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

11. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Tampa Bay Ferrari! Now I go to an Independent on Dale Mabry. NO more baloney having an appointment date then your car sit in blazing heat for 3-7 days turning your interior to a sticky mess & not owning up to it. All this for the car's #6 service which is nothing more than an oil change. Service #7 coming up & don't mind a reasonable $ with an independent done by a Master Ferrari Mech.

mdrums likes this.
  12. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Not sure what to take from this, so far (from what I understood) the "most common" reported brake failures were caused by a booster failure resulting in hard pedal (because no assistance anymore), the booster failure being probably caused by a fluid leak into it. So the symptom is totally the opposite of a "pedal to the floor" (even though the resulting loss of braking power is similar).

13. Mrpseudonym

Mrpseudonym Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 7, 2020
    Sydney, Australia
    Has anyone outside of North America been contacted by Ferrari?

The only recall notice I have seen is the north american one, and unsurprisingly lists only NA VINs. Speaking with a dealer in Australia last week if I remember the conversation correctly they said they had not been contacted by Ferrari, and as far as they know the issue does not concern RHD vehicles.

While I don’t doubt their belief (my experience with this dealer has always been first rate) I find it hard to believe that there is a different brake booster for RHD cars.

Viperjoe likes this.
  14. Hopeful

Hopeful Karting

May 31, 2019
    Vero Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Tony M.
    Actually there are 2 different part numbers for the 458/488 brake boosters, one for RHD vehicles and one for LHD vehicles. One might reasonably suspect that there is nothing different between them other than mirror-image mounting considerations. If this is the case, hopefully someone in Ferrari is on the ball enough to let the other half of the world know they might have a problem.

Mrpseudonym likes this.
  15. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Thanks for the reply. I’ve had horrible experience twice resulting in damage to my 488 at Tampa. They ultimately fixed it but it was somewhat of an argument. I went to Vortex Mortorsport in Tampa for my brake flush but I hear great things about European Exotic on Dale Mabry.

16. elt360

elt360 Karting

Mar 27, 2013
    uk
    Full Name:
    paul elton
    Hi I am in the UK and after talking to a dealer in Florida I can confirm that the two parts affected the booster and the master cylinder part numbers are the same in the UK As in the USA. It is likely the parts are the same for the rest of the world.
    I would like to ask all non north American owners of 458/488 models to get in touch with their dealers and ask them if they are aware of the possible recall of North American cars with this potential brake issue. Thanks Paul.

17. RBarbieri

RBarbieri Karting

Feb 11, 2014
    Bradenton, FL
    Full Name:
    Rich Barbieri
    If you're on the west coast of Florida I highly recommend Sarasota Italian Garage for service on your Ferrari. I'm not affiliated with them.

18. mattexplore

mattexplore Rookie

Mar 1, 2021
    Prescott, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Matthew Scott
    I've noticed that the brakes on my 2013 458 Italia are abnormally hard—having only had the vehicle since March, and this being my first car with carbon ceramics, I thought this was just normal. I've also had the experience where I have to push incredibly hard to get it to engage from forward to reverse on most occasions.

Definitely cancelling my track day on Wednesday. From those who know a little more about this, should I be worried, I.E. stop driving it on the street? Or is this hard pedal to be expected?

19. Twwalton1

Twwalton1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2020
    Westchester (Los Angles), CA
    Full Name:
    Terry Walton
    I bought my 458 from a used car dealer. How would Ferrari know where to send me a recall notice? I have not taken it in for service at a Ferrari dealer.

20. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Send Ferrari a note with your vin number and copy of your registration to let them know you now own the car.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Viperjoe likes this.
  21. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Not normal.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

22. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    They search registration and/or title records in all 50 states.

Rexcat458 and Need4Spd like this.
  23. Mrpseudonym

Silver Subscribed

Nov 7, 2020
    Sydney, Australia
    Precisely the reason you should register with a dealer or the factory. You can also use my.ferrari.com .. or the app..

24. Mrpseudonym

Silver Subscribed

Nov 7, 2020
    Sydney, Australia
    +1 not normal

25. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    Late to respond here, but I did not see a recall notice. This is what I received....

Dear John,

We wanted to inform you that Ferrari is investigating whether a problem exists in certain Model Year 2010-2015 458 vehicles. The vehicles involved are equipped with a braking system that could potentially leak brake fluid, which may lead to a total loss of braking capability, and result in an accident. We want to assure you that your safety is our priority, and we are committed to correcting this condition in your vehicle if it exists.

Our records show that you are the owner of this vehicle. Ferrari is conducting further research to determine the root cause and possible scope of this problem. We will contact you as soon as we have further instructions for you. In the meantime, if a message appears on your dashboard, “Brake fluid level low, Go to dealer slowly”, please pull off the road as soon as it is safe to do so. Then contact Ferrari Roadside Assistance at 1.866.788.6760. Your car will be taken to the nearest authorized Ferrari dealer and inspected free of charge. If necessary, Ferrari will perform any necessary repairs to your vehicle for free.

Note: The vehicle’s electric parking brake can be used as an emergency brake when the vehicle is in motion. See your Owner’s Manual for further information.

If you have any questions, please contact your local authorized Ferrari dealer. You can find a listing of them at https://www.ferrari.com/en-US/auto/dealers

Sincerely,

Ferrari North America, Inc.

Aftersales Department