458/488 Brake Recall | Page 6 | FerrariChat

458/488 Brake Recall

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Hopeful, Oct 30, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Twwalton1

Twwalton1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2020
    Westchester (Los Angles), CA
    Full Name:
    Terry Walton
    I emailed [email protected]

Need4Spd likes this.
  2. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Got in touch with our dealer in Australia.

Reply ; RHD cars not affected.

3. elt360

elt360 Karting

Mar 27, 2013
    uk
    Full Name:
    paul elton
    Sorry but the reply from your dealer is wrong. My car is RHD (UK) and I have experienced the solid brake pedal twice - it is frightening when you realise your car is not stopping. I am also aware of other Ferrari 458 and 488 owners having the same brake issue here in the UK - all RHD.

In earlier posts, I have confirmed that there is no difference in the part numbers for the booster and the master cylinder - they are the same for left or right hand drive. The only variance is the part number for the bracket that holds the booster/master cylinder on the car.
    I have sent the relevant documents to my dealer and they in turn have forwarded them on to FNE (Ferrari North Europe). As my dealer has confirmed, and Ferrari has already stated in their correspondence to owners in the USA, Ferrari take safety very seriously.

It would be very disappointing for you if your dealer did not. Their reply, which concerns your safety, appears too dismissive to me.

Need4Spd and 430jm like this.
  4. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC

5. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know

FWIW, this recall is not an “intermittent failure”, when this fails, it fails….

Thats not to say that there were not other brake system malfunctions in your experience .

S

technom3 likes this.
  6. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin

It can be a sign of it though. I'd there is a leak or small leak and there is air in the system. Braking inconsistency can occur.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  7. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    Why are you and others calling it a "recall"? According to my email from Ferrari other day (posted above from Ferrari North America <[email protected]>) and my tech as of this am, it's a TBD to be actually recalled.....

8. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    Anyone have an ETA on this?

9. Mrpseudonym

Mrpseudonym Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 7, 2020
    Sydney, Australia
    Everyone’s position has merit, the title of this thread is not correct today but surely will be shortly. No amount of posting here will advance this, what we need to be doing is spending our energy with Ferrari. Right now it would seem there is an issue with our cars that has the potential to kill us. Most, like me, I would imagine are approaching any high speed driving with some caution. I have no wish to play Russian roulette. This is not why we bought them. Lets direct our attention to the company. We need to understand more about the issue, what cars are affected and what Ferrari is doing about it, in short more communication (globally) needs to be forthcoming. As well as through the dealer channels we should go through the various country and regional official clubs to make a representation to the company that carries more weight than individual approaches to individual dealers.

rw99, Need4Spd, TR007 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    This " advice" must be ignored and the moderators should delete it. This must be the most irresponsible and dangerous comment ever made on this forum.

elt360 likes this.
  11. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Are we back to picking fights again?

430jm likes this.
  12. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    No. Simply stated an obvious fact. Your post was irresponsible and if adhered to, could have potentially resulted in a serious injury or worse.

13. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Ferrari never provided guidance for owners to stop driving their cars. I’m sorry, but you’re incorrect at this stage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USMMA90 and italiafan like this.
  14. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I’m driving mine! More likely to die from melanoma from it being a spider than brakes failing.

15. Stams

Stams Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2020
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Sunscreen and hats!

And tap those brakes to make sure they’re there!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

italiafan likes this.
  16. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Confidence level extremely low on this! 2020 F8 had the “low brake fluid” message pop up once and then it went away. Had my brake fluid flushed and refilled with Castrol SRF at the annual service…. See what happens with F8’s now…

17. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    I think it's prudent for all of us to check for fluid leaks on the floor and @ the visible parts of calipers, etc. I intend to do this every time I initially get in the car and anytime after I stop of gas or the likes. This is specifically what Ferrari has sent out, it's all about leaking fluid, which can obviously lead to a total failure if enough leaks out. The only caveat is, do they mean it's a slow leak or a catastrophic failure in which enough leaks out in one shot, to cause total failure......
    From Ferrari
    "The vehicles involved are equipped with a braking system that could potentially leak brake fluid, which may lead to a total loss of braking capability, and result in an accident. We want to assure you that your safety is our priority, and we are committed to correcting this condition in your vehicle if it exists."

18. Hopeful

Hopeful Karting

May 31, 2019
    Vero Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Tony M.
    There won't be any visible signs of a leak as the fluid is leaking internal into the vacuum booster. My leak happened in the span of 2 or 3 minutes, from normal brakes, to warning light, to complete loss of brakes.

19. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Correct I should have stated Australia. Verbatim " It does not affect Australian RHD cars "

20. Borrow’d Mine

Borrow’d Mine Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2019
    Florida
    My reply to the letter from FNA.

Thanks, but what is being done? "Pull over and park" isn’t very helpful advice. How likely is this problem to occur? Do certain conditions (heat, cold, heavy braking, etc.) precipitate the failure? Are there any outward signs we can look for other than going to a dealer every time we want to drive ?

I’ve always written my corporate communications in a way that the message provides clarity and transparency. If the message simply creates more questions and uncertainty, it is a failed message. This letter just might fall into the latter category.

I anxiously await further information on this confusing development regarding an otherwise brilliant automobile.

docf and Il Tifoso like this.
  21. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    WOW!!! However, how do we know that is the potential recall item, but who's to say it's not?! Scary S**T honestly, I almost always have my 13yr old son along w/ me. Ferrari better figure this out ASAP! I'm going to shelve the car for now, not worth it to me.....

22. Bad Boys 1

Bad Boys 1 Karting

Mar 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Michael M
    I posted after I purchased my car about 2 yrs ago.

Was following my friend , also in a 458, turned into a strip mall for coffee.
    He turned in , I hit my brakes and it was a brick. went thru intersection and my wife asked me what I was doing.
    Car would not stop...as if manual brakes.
    When I posted everyone said I was crazy or was hitting brakes and gas pedal or some other dumb explanation.
    I own a Porsche Turbo S and a Lambo Huracan....I know what brakes are supposed to do.
    Have also raced cars and etc.

I stopped driving the car and it now sits in my shop with 877 miles on it. 2014 458
    When my incident occurred the car had been driven for about 20 mins and was only going 40 mph.

Car is defective...period.
    what's next if I drive it ....no brakes!!!
    Mike

23. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    I for one, am not following this. I get the frustration , but why wouldn't you have simply fixed the issue and enjoy it?! All cars have their issues, regardless of make or model, the 458 IMO is an amazing machine.....

430jm likes this.
  24. Mrpseudonym

Mrpseudonym Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 7, 2020
    Sydney, Australia
    Me either. And.. a 2014 458 At least 2 owners and 857 miles? :confused:

Sargepug likes this.
  25. Borrow’d Mine

Borrow’d Mine Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2019
    Florida
    So, when someone is on here asking for advice because they are considering buying a 458 what you always hear is transmission. And I would venture to guess not even that many have failed. I have never heard, “be aware of the failing brakes”.

Not minimizing the gravity of the situation but it seems odd it only now is getting attention.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat