458/488 Brake Recall | Page 8 | FerrariChat

458/488 Brake Recall

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Hopeful, Oct 30, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hopeful

Hopeful Karting

May 31, 2019
    Vero Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Tony M.
    I just received a letter in the mail which was no different than the email I received back on the 2nd. I suspect it will take some time as they need to formally ascertain the failure mechanism, engineer a fix, and rigorously test it before releasing it to the public.

Sargepug and 430jm like this.
  2. 430jm

430jm Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2017
    Atlanta
    And watch the dash messages closely in the interim. But don’t freak out!

Sargepug likes this.
  3. todd cloud

todd cloud Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    this is the language in the recall notice that I don't understand
    the dash message comes on when 52% of the brake fluid is gone
    however, it only takes a tiny amount of brake fluid to leak from the master cylinder to the booster, break the vacuum, and result in a dead pedal (and crash)
    thinking we are OK until 52% of the brake fluid is gone does not compute

am I misunderstanding something here?

4. Bad Boys 1

Bad Boys 1 Karting

Mar 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Michael M
    Bingo Todd

When people on here say it's a small percentage of cars , are they assuming everyone with a 458 or 488 is on F-chat?

I don't think so.

5. 430jm

430jm Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2017
    Atlanta
    I guess no one knows. But Ferrari did the right thing. Issued the recall and will handle any repairs.

6. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    Feels a bit like Ferrari doesn’t want to issue a “park it” order because that opens up a loss of use exposure for Ferrari multiplied by a lot of cars?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rw99 likes this.
  7. ilko

ilko Karting

Aug 20, 2008
    I agree 100%. That's why I plan to have Ferrari do the recall once they get their **** together.

In the meantime I've got a brand new master cylinder & booster that let me enjoy the car to the fullest and sleep well at night. I'm confident that even if the part is not a revised version it will work without defects long enough.

Need4Spd likes this.
  8. Jarviper

Jarviper Rookie

Jul 18, 2021
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Rose
    The only update I know of is listed in the NHTSA recall Chronology of Defect dated November 4, 2021, that reported in October 2021, Ferrari was contacted by an authorized Ferrari dealer regarding a used MY 2018 Ferrari 488-owned by the dealership which experienced a loss of braking capability and that the vehicle is being shipped to Ferrari for inspection by Bosch. To my knowledge, Ferrari has been notified of brake failure issues in March, June, July, September and October and no remedy exists at the present time.. Also, reported in the Chronology of Defect was that Ferrari has been made aware of one event where a client, by communication dated July 29, 2021, reported that he was injured as a consequence of this issue.

9. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    Where are you seeing this %? This is a cut and paste of the notice I received.....

Dear John,

We wanted to inform you that Ferrari is investigating whether a problem exists in certain Model Year 2010-2015 458 vehicles. The vehicles involved are equipped with a braking system that could potentially leak brake fluid, which may lead to a total loss of braking capability, and result in an accident. We want to assure you that your safety is our priority, and we are committed to correcting this condition in your vehicle if it exists.

Our records show that you are the owner of this vehicle. Ferrari is conducting further research to determine the root cause and possible scope of this problem. We will contact you as soon as we have further instructions for you. In the meantime, if a message appears on your dashboard, “Brake fluid level low, Go to dealer slowly”, please pull off the road as soon as it is safe to do so. Then contact Ferrari Roadside Assistance at 1.866.788.6760. Your car will be taken to the nearest authorized Ferrari dealer and inspected free of charge. If necessary, Ferrari will perform any necessary repairs to your vehicle for free.

Note: The vehicle’s electric parking brake can be used as an emergency brake when the vehicle is in motion. See your Owner’s Manual for further information.

If you have any questions, please contact your local authorized Ferrari dealer. You can find a listing of them at https://www.ferrari.com/en-US/auto/dealers

Sincerely,
    Ferrari North America, Inc.
    Aftersales Department

10. todd cloud

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Ferrari says that customers should be particularly concerned once the "Brake fluid level low, Go to dealer slowly" message appears in the car's cluster display, accompanied by a warning light and an audible signal. This means the fluid level in the reservoir has dropped below half of its normal fill level; the warning triggers at exactly 48%, Ferrari says. Dealers and customers will be notified as soon as a remedy has been determined.

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/11/01/ferrari-brake-failure-recall/

Sargepug likes this.
  11. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Did I miss the official 48% - the first mention seems to be from Autoblog NOT any Ferrari or NHTSA document

12. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    99.9% of members on this board seem non-technical. For the 0.1% of us, please post some kind of diagram showing the internals of the booster showing this membrane failure mechanism. I think it will help with understanding the risk.

Sargepug likes this.
  13. todd cloud

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    good point. my Ferrari tech confirmed the 52/48 dash light value.

14. todd cloud

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Atlplastic and Solid State like this.
  15. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
  16. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    As a technical person, what’s your assessment after seeing the photos?

17. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    From the photos it appears that fluid can get by the seals breaking the vacuum eliminating power assist. There may be potential for fluid to enter into the vacuum system and appear somewhere else so you can detect it was happening. Seems fluid level would have read lower. Still do not fully understand but the pictures were helpful.

18. fazooley

fazooley Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2005
    I saw in another post on the forums from today where someone had the recall done. Are they able to check affected cars by year or vin, or are you supposed to just wait until brake failure and then bring it in, lol?

Frankie

19. todd cloud

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    he had his brake fluid changed, nothing more
    not part of the recall
    he is mistaken to state otherwise

Sargepug likes this.
  20. CPais

CPais Rookie

Sep 30, 2008
    CA
    We had a 488 in the shop a while go with this hard pedal problem where the car would not stop. I did new pads and did several brake fluid flushes. Eventually when the car cam back again with the brakes going back to the hard pedal we flushed it again. This time we found an issue with the front caliper bleeding. The caliper checked out good and finally a small piece of debris came out with bleeding. It was a very small piece of rubber/silicone that came out of the brake system. I have no idea where it came from but I would assume that it was something that dislodged in the brake mechanical system from somewhere. The brakes were working finally after that.

Need4Spd and rw99 like this.
  21. Mrpseudonym

Mrpseudonym Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 7, 2020
    Sydney, Australia
    ..and you didn’t check the brake booster? If there is a foreign object in the brake fluid if it were my car I wouldn’t rest easy until I knew where it came from

Viperjoe likes this.
  22. Jarviper

Jarviper Rookie

Jul 18, 2021
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Rose
    Good morning and I am the lead Plaintiff in a class action lawsuit being filed this week against Ferrari/Bosch related to brake defect complaints and if you have a copy of your Ferrari Authorized Service Invoice that you'd like to send me along with your contact information and you'd like to be a part of the lawsuit please call me at (314) 540-4639. My name is Jeff Rose.

23. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    There IS a recall...
    There is NO fix..but it is a recall. See the PDF in post #1. Clearly states that Ferrari is "recalling"...

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  24. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    I have at least one 458/488 that I believe is suffering from this lack of braking power. It was checked by the dealer and they reported no problems last year. For me personally, I think it’s too soon to participate in any legal proceeding. I’ve had a long and positive relationship with Ferrari and I think as a good client it’s important to give them a reasonable amount of time to investigate and solve for the issue.

Il Tifoso and SAFE4NOW like this.
  25. Nigel glen

Nigel glen Rookie

Oct 16, 2020
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nigel glen
    Uk post - I’ve forwarded the recall notice to Meridien (Southampton dealer) asking for their thoughts. Will update with their response.

I’ve a 2015 458 spider with a VIN in the range mentioned

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app