458/488/F12 | FerrariChat

458/488/F12

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Avia11, Dec 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    This is going to sound like an insane question but any advice would be much appreciated. I have a 2017 Cali T HS and I love it. My warranty is going to expire and so I can either pay 10K for the warranty or get another car. I drove the Portofino and I didn't really think it was that much better than my HS. So I have been thinking about a 458/488 or F12. I read a lot of the prior posts on this subject matter about if you're younger (I'm 32) you should go mid-engine, how the V12 is amazing, and how these are very different cars. The thing is I am looking at 2015 458 Spiders maybe a coupe, 2016-2017 488 Coupes, or the F12 because they are all around the same price point. It is really hard to find a 458 with warranty or a warranty extension (if anyone knows of one, please let me know). I think I prefer it to the 488 but the 488 is supposedly a "more-refined" ride. The F12 is phenom but its front engine. I am going to drive all 3 tomorrow but if anyone has any intelligent thoughts I'd love to hear them. I could always order a 488, but why would I want to wait for one when I could get one now? Other than customization preferences. If anyone has any advice I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

2. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I miss my CaliTHS, wish I kept it! Drive them all and see what moves you. The reality is that the CaliTHS is really a hard package to compare because its a lot of good things into one. Outside of the rear seats being too small I think its about as close as you could get to a perfect DD. I have a LussoT on order specifically because it reminded me of the CaliTHS torque, sound, agility, and response but with larger rear seats for my kids. If you are craving a different experience then try another ride. I am fan of all Ferraris you are comparing so it really comes down to what your car needs are. If I had to pick from your list I would go with a newer 488 coupe, I love mine but again it lacks the boot and rear seats.. so its a toss up. Best of luck.

Bundy and Avia11 like this.
  3. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Depends what driving you want to do and what you prioritize.
    458 sounds best at any speed, esp just cruising at or below speed limits. The spider version sounds best but loses a lot of rigidity. I’ve not driven a Cali so perhaps not a big deal to you.
    488 is very refined vs 458 and fantastic power. I can’t stand the lack of drama vs 458 engine.
    F12 is a gt car, my reco is mid engine given your age.
    You can always get a 812sf later.

4. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    +1

Avia11 likes this.
  5. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    458 spider.

Sent from my 16M

Avia11 likes this.
  6. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    First of all, drive the cars to make up your mind.

Second- don’t buy a new car just cause of warranty. There was a thread recently that showed that only a 16% or so chance of something going wrong that the warranty would be worth it. In other words- warranty is waste of money.

7. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #7 Shadowfax, Dec 11, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    If you drive your car i'd get the warranty. There are guys who say and/or make out they drive their cars but never really do that notoriously advise warranty is not worth it on the basis of their own set of circumstances...which they will never own up to btw. Some call a trip to the end of the street and back once every blue moon a day out with friends of like mind lol. Very common^And buying a new car with warranty is actually the best solution especially if you plan on using and driving it in a manner which it was designed.

Whether it be new or used, nothing quiet like having the peace of mind in being able to use the car exactly how you like when you like. Works out small change in the grand scheme of things regardless if you end up making a claim or not. It's usually when you don't warrant that it will catch you out....Murphy's law.

Avia11 likes this.
  8. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I think the 458 spider will be less depreciation and a better price. I think you got a good enough deal on your Cali T HS that the depreciation won't kill you but it's going to sting. It will hurt more if you get a 488 but I am not unhappy with mine. I was going to get the 458 spider but couldn't find one with the options I wanted at a decent price. That was back in the spring though and prices have weakened considerably since then.

Avia11 likes this.
  9. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    As mentioned above, all depends on what you are after.
    Personnally I'd never get a spider because I need the stiffness of a closed shell; after the 599 I first considered the F12 as a natural next step. At that time the prices for the F12 were strong so I chose to go for a new 488 instead of a used F12.
    I love the V12, but a lighter car has its benefits for occasional track use - there is also the debate NA vs turbo between the 458 and 488, many 458 owners value the noise while I prefer the torque and power.
    So in the end it's a very personal decision.

up4speed and Avia11 like this.
  10. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Agree on lack of rigidity in 458 spider, but the 488 spider is a vast improvement. Very trackable.

Avia11 likes this.
  11. cavsct94

cavsct94 Karting

Aug 26, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I love my 458 Spider. It is my first Ferrari and it raised the bar for me for what cars are capable of being after coming from NA, non-GT Porsches. That said, I'm pretty sure I want an F12, either as a replacement or in addition. Truth be told, I've only tracked the 458 once, probably don't want the track wear on it, and it isn't the best for the longer drives that I tend to enjoy. Around town and for short spirited drives it is amazing, particularly with the top down. However, a few hours on the highway leave me wishing I was in a different Ferrari.

Avia11 likes this.
  12. Gullwing

Gullwing Karting

Aug 30, 2016
    I’m similar age and think the F12 is amazing. I have that plus a new 488 Spider. The spider doesn’t compare. Go F12 and don’t look back

Caeruleus11 and Avia11 like this.
  13. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    why not just keep the cali? you can also find plenty of cpo 458s with the warranty. i just bought one and there was plenty to choose from.

Avia11 likes this.
  14. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
  15. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    I love the exterior color as well. Pozzi Blue is one of my favorites. I am normally not a fan of light colored interiors but I think here it works well.

16. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    I adore this pozzi blu.

17. ferraribrit

ferraribrit Karting

Feb 27, 2009
    Ridgeland, MS
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I’ve had all 3 and you won’t be disappointed with any choice you make. I originally had both the F12 and 488 - ended up selling the F12 recently as always found my self driving the 488 once I got it! I put 11,000 miles on my F12 in 2 years so you know I gave it a good try!
    Fwiw, I look and am 53 but feel 16..
    Best, Paul

Ash Patel and Caeruleus11 like this.
  18. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I honestly think you need both if that were feasible. I love my F12. The wail of the V12 is bananas. The way it goes from docile to demonic with a gentle tap on the accelerator is unlike anything I have ever experienced in a car. I rather like how unsettling it can be under full load. It has a cool white knuckle quality to it. Best of all, I love how it’s a sleeper car (mine is Nero) and goes pretty much unnoticed in traffic by all but the most knowing aficionados. The reason why I say you need both, is that in my case, my alter ego car is a Lamborghini Performante and it’s everything the F12 is not. To me the 458/488 is in that same class. Much more of an event car. Never ceases to amaze how moms in minivans stick their phones out to record me at stoplights. Plus mid-engine versus front-mid feel is like the difference between being pushed or pulled. Completely different feel, at least to me. Others might disagree, but the weight and weight distribution dramatically changes the driving experience. By the way, I love love love the 488. I tracked them extensively at Road Atlanta this summer as part of the Corsa Pilota and came away duly impressed. Trying to get a Pista allocation now, but having some difficulty lol.

tekaefixe and Caeruleus11 like this.
  19. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Keep in mind the F12 and 458/488 are from Ferrari's sports car class so in either case, you will be stepping into a car that is more intense than your Cali. That's both good and bad. If you want a more FERRARI experience, then you'll have it. But you'll be losing some of the "GT" factor from the Cali. My advice is if you can do both, keep the Cali and add the 458 coupe. Yes both are V8 but one is NA and one is turbo. One is a jet fighter for the street, one is a great GT. If its got to be one then I'd recommend the F12. Its really a super GT. It's just not a convertible. 488 is more GT in feel than the 458. 458 feels more of a sports car. Both have very high performance. And don't be fooled by the GT feel of the 488- it has tremendous performance, but you have to look for it, whereas the 458 wears it more on its sleeve.

arild, uhn2000, anishka and 4 others like this.
  20. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    So perfectly said.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  21. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona