458 Airbag just deployed for NO REASON! | FerrariChat

458 Airbag just deployed for NO REASON!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 458Guy, Jun 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 458Guy

458Guy Rookie

Jun 10, 2019
    Hey guys, brand new to the forums and just had my 458 Spider delivered last week to me here in MN. So was driving it yesterday down to Chicago Ferrari and there was a small bump in the highway, NOT a major pothole or anything of the sort, and BOOM, my driver's side airbag just exploded and deployed! There is absolutely no exterior damage to the car or anything that would have necessitated this airbag to go off, so clearly this is a MAJOR defect! I know there was the recall for the passenger's side airbag, but I am assuming the driver's side are faulty as well? Has this happened to anyone else??
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
  3. Evo X

Evo X Karting

Jun 16, 2018
    Chicago
    Wow, sounds scary as hell. I took mine in for the recall last year. Let me know what you hear from Ferrari about this.

4. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    wtf that's just insane
    the occurrence is rare enough that ferrari will prob just put it on the customer to repair the bag and door panel... is there a warranty on the air bag from factory?

5. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    what a nightmare....

6. 458Guy

458Guy Rookie

Jun 10, 2019
    Yes, an airbag EXPLODING in any car for no good reason is terrifying, regardless if it's a Ford or Ferrari. But I definitely have to say that my first experience as a Ferrari owner has not been "favorable" when something like this happens less than a week after buying it! The car is at the dealer now and they are of course claiming they have never seen or heard of anything like this EVER happening before, so we will see how the dealer & Ferrari handle this, but no way I am paying $9k+ out of pocket to remedy this disaster...

7. JohnTz

JohnTz Karting

Jun 21, 2018
    Inverness, IL
    Full Name:
    John Tz
    How quickly after you hit the bump did it go off? Immediately? Has the car suspension been modified in any way? This is scary if these pop for no reason. The other incident in the forum had a lowered suspension and that is a well known cause.

8. 458Guy

458Guy Rookie

Jun 10, 2019
    Absolutely NO modifications whatsoever on this car, I personally never understood the point of lowering a Ferrari when it's already so low as-is, so when I bought this last week, I made sure you get a 100% stock 458. And the "bump" was on the major interstate right outside of Madison, WI, so obviously not a significant "bump", otherwise they would have had to repair it immediately being on a major interstate. But yes, the airbag exploded as SOON as the car went over this minor bump!

9. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    LOL...have you driven in any city in Northeast? They don't 'have to repair' jack...nor do they.

10. Raydog9379

Raydog9379 Karting

Jan 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Wonder if this now gets a negative note on the carfax as well since an airbag deployed, yet no crash?

11. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    i wonder if insurance will cover this if ferrari refuses to cover it...

12. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    If they make a repair at the dealer, most likely it will show on car fax. I would certainly check with the service department.

13. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Hope you opted for a warranty, otherwise you may have quite a dispute on your hands. Unless the car was only serviced at the Ferrari dealership, the pointing finger scenario will enter the discussion. Also, the more owners the greater the problem.

Did you review the car fax and have a PPI done before purchase?

Sorry it happened, I don't recall this being an issue before, hope it works out for you. I believe the dealer will have to get approval from Ferrari to warranty it.

Best of luck and please keep the community informed.

sampelligrino likes this.
  14. 458Guy

458Guy Rookie

Jun 10, 2019
    Well the funny/sad part of this whole situation is that the car was on the way to Ferrari Lake Forest to GET that extended warranty setup, so OF COURSE, this had to happen on the way down there before the warranty was activated...

But yes, the car was just serviced at Ferrari Washington in March and the 3rd party dealer I just bought it from installed new tires and did a FULL inspection before they shipped it to me, so I know this car was in pristine condition before I bought it and 100% stock. I did just speak to the service department at Ferrari Lake Forest and they claim that some plastic ring on top of one of the shocks was cut or damaged, so I have a feeling Ferrari is going to claim this caused the airbag to unexpectedly explode, but I REALLY hope this doesn't drag out... I also asked about a loaner in the meantime and Ferrari Lake Forest refused to give one out, so just curious if other Ferrari dealers give out loaners?

15. flifer

flifer Karting

Mar 3, 2016
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Ferrari dealers indeed do not give out loaners, which is extremely shocking. I understand they can't give out Ferrari's and that most owners have multiple cars anyway. But not giving out a loaners makes the logistics of going to the dealer so much more difficult.

16. boogie

boogie Karting

Mar 4, 2016
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Ferrari dealer here doesn't do loaners. I imagine most owners have other cars of their own available.

17. humdizzle

humdizzle Karting

Mar 9, 2016
    I have a question

I'm due for the airbag recall. However the closest Ferrari dealer to me is 6 hours away. I take my car to a local shop that specializes in exotics every year for service. Would Ferrari pay for transporting my car to a dealership? Would they pay an independent shop like the one I take it to, to do the repairs?

18. JohnTz

JohnTz Karting

Jun 21, 2018
    Inverness, IL
    Full Name:
    John Tz
    Most dealers will give you a courtesy ride back home, if your local, but do not have loaner cars to give out.

19. humdizzle

humdizzle Karting

Mar 9, 2016
    that's dumb. I guess I'm suppose to fork out $1000 for shipping to and from the Ferrari dealership for a mistake that they made ?

20. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    It’s not their fault you live 6 hours away. They take care of the car, you manage the logistics of your life.

technom3, tres55, GSF355 and 5 others like this.
  21. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Wow, I am sorry you have had such an " explosive experience " so early in your ownership!

FWIW The airbag recall does not address "exploding airbags" , it addresses the igniter and associated hardware that could cause injury if deployed.
    ( There are several threads discussing this already on FC )

As for the cause, it's clear and you yourself described it, the airbag deployed because of a perceived impact by the airbag control module. Just how severe the impact can be established by reading the data off the SRS control module. The data doesn't lie... just sayin' ( NOT that you are! ) Also, you mentioned the plastic ring ( most likely a bushing ) that was found to be "broken" . If so that also could be an indicator as to just how hard the impact actually was. I will try and find a photo for example purposes tomorrow.

If it is proven to be a factory defect , I am not sure how much leverage you have:
    1. You purchased from a 3rd party.
    2. Your car is out of factory warranty. ( You may offer to purchase a New Power Warranty if they help cover the costs )
    3. You do not have an established relationship with your Dealer or FNA ( otherwise you would have purchased your Ferrari from them and been in the family )
    4. Rather than discuss with your Dealer, FNA, etc you chose to come onto an international website and blame Ferrari for something that may or may not actually be their fault

Kind of takes away any incentive to help, don't you think?

Let your Dealer do their job and work through the process with you. If need be, your insurance would / could cover it if needed.

Unless you are looking for a fight , the above will be the quickest and least combative way to get your Ferrari back on the road again. Be aware early, that the door panel will need to be bcreated at the factory to your car's spec and that usually translates to several months down time. If you fight and argue, keep in mind that the factory is closed the month of September ,so if the door panel is not in a box on its way to you by the end of July , it could very well be October before you see your door panel. Not trying to scare you or be doom and gloom, just want you to be aware.

I am happy to help behind the scene if you would like, private message me I will do what I can to help.

Steve

Innovativethinker likes this.
  22. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    You may reach out to FNA as ask for assistance in transporting your car back and forth.
    The fact that you have someone outside the family service your car will not help your cause or request though.
    They 100% will not pay an independent to do the work, entirely too much liability.....

GL,

Steve

23. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    No official loan cars that I am aware of. There may be a case by case basis, but in 8 years I cannot think of an example where one was needed.
    Rides, Pick up / Delivery , etc there are options to help though.

Curious, do the independent Ferrari repair shops offer loan cars in your area?

S

24. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know

This might actually work out in your favor, if it was indeed pristine, if one or more of the wheels is bent, it would be easily found.

Steve

25. Edward Nagel

Edward Nagel Rookie

Jun 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    Edward Nagel
    There is a recall on the airbags. Go back to the dealership