458 as a Daily Driver | FerrariChat

458 as a Daily Driver

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by andycav, Dec 25, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. andycav

andycav Karting

Mar 27, 2015
    New York
    Hello All,
    I currently own a 2017 NSX and I am thinking of trading it for a 458. This alone doesn't sound like anything out of the ordinary, but I use the NSX as a DD (10k/yr) and I envision doing the same with the 458. While I'm sure this isn't the most practical thing to do, I am a single guy and what better time to do something purely for enjoyment. However, I do have a few questions...

1. While I am not necessarily concerned about practicality (storage space, driving in snow, and the like), I am concerned about reliability as this will be the car that gets me to the office each and every day (35mi round trip). Is reliability a concern? Does getting from point A to point B become a question mark?
    2. Along with reliability, is the ongoing maintenance something I should be concerned with? I have read these cars are bullet proof, but I have only seen a few mentions about higher mileage cars.
    3. Are there any years that are preferred or that should be avoided?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and opinions.

Sent from my SM-T837V using Tapatalk

2. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    458 is as comfortable to drive daily as any other car bar a Mercedes S or Bentley..... very easy on your back and legs unless you plan to be very spirited for longer periods, where the ride will eventually get you.

I’d go for 2012 onwards personally, as those cars are well sorted, and you will have some of the maintenance plan still included, but to be honest, nothing really goes wrong. As long as you take care of it, and have regular service checkups based on mileage, I think it’s a fantastic option. The only downside is obviously that the higher mileage will create a lot of depreciation compared to the usual 458 lightly driven examples, but hey, if you can afford it, do it I say! You’ll never arrive in work with a bigger smile on your face than after a drive in it

RayJohns, Eric Kurtev and Caeruleus11 like this.
  3. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    This is the first time this question has been asked...oh wait there are about 500 threads with the exact question.

Search is always a good thing.

Yes it can be a daily.

Melvok, iloveferrari and bball16 like this.
  4. babwine

babwine Karting

Nov 6, 2016
    Boca Raton/Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    Burt
    I use my 458 as a DD and love it. No problems. I had same concerns when I bought mine and found scores of owners who drove multi thousands of miles with no issues. Forget about depreciation and enjoy. Go with 2013 or later

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TheDiffuser likes this.
  5. TheDiffuser

TheDiffuser Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    OP don't worry about previous threads on the topic, post away and maybe you can get some more up to date feedback
    I agree that the 458 is fine as a DD. My service costs were apx $600 USD per year, certainly not expensive.
    I went for a 2013 to make sure any bugs were sorted from the earlier cars, however if any issues on earlier models have been sorted they'd be fine to purchase.
    I put several thousand in mileage on mine in the first year and loved every minute of it.
    You'll be the happiest man in town having a 458 as a DD!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RBen, ikenjoku7, Eric Kurtev and 2 others like this.
  6. FerrariFab

FerrariFab Karting

Jan 14, 2010
    Inland Empire
    Full Name:
    CFI Designs
    I typically buy my cars pre owned with higher mileage for this reason specifically. I dont like to drive cars with guilt of large depreciation from adding miles and not being able to enjoy it. That being said mine is high mileage and i drive it every day. Just keep up on the maintenance and you should be fine, quite comfortable in comparision to the lamborghinis i have drove in the past.

7. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    +1 on a 458 as a DD

8. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I looked at the 2017 NSX.
    Get the 458 —strongly suggest the spider

Even the NSX salesman was smitten with my 458 spider. I showed him the interior and then the frunk space

When I operated the top, the whole place came out to watch.

Reliable? Practical?

My spider has over 100,000 miles. Still enjoy driving my beater from maranello!

9. daflk

daflk Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2013
    Hong Kong
    It’s okay as a daily driver. I’ve put almost 40k kilometers on my 2012 458 spider since buying it two years ago and although the car is mechanically sound, here are the parts I’ve had replaced:

- RH rear speed sensor in 2017
    -LH rear speed sensor in 2018 (lasted one year more)
    -o2 sensors
    -ABS sensors

One big issue with this car due to heavy electronics are that sensors are timed life. Your sensors will die, thankfully most sensors are cheap (in the Ferrari scale of course) and accessible and therefore cheap and quick to replace (day job).

However if you’re unlucky, sensors in your gearbox may also die, which requires reassembly or replacement depending on where in the double clutch gearbox the sensor resides. Most common are the gearbox speed and e diff differential pressure sensors.

My spider is due for a replacement e diff sensor, which requires disassembly of the differential from the Getrag DSG and replacing and reassembling. Quoted 13k part and labour at dealer and 7.7k at independent and requires one to two weeks of labor. Note that few independents are capable of this work as it requires access to Getrag gearbox specific workshop manuals.

So relatively reliable for an exotic but due to nature of sensors dying over time keep that in mind if it’s your only car and you have a long commute.

10. saraojo

saraojo Formula 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Northeast
    Has anyone else here aside from daflk above had getrag issues? Mine has been reliable at 12 to 13k miles. I just wanted to know of any thing else to watch out for

11. Marcus01

Marcus01 Rookie

Jun 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    Mine gives me a headache if I drive it for more than an hour; and wrecks my back and shoulders and neck.

I bought it as a DD but it's just too much...too much everything; noise, attention, everything. Plus, I can't really hear anyone on the phone over the engine which makes it hard to use as a day to day tool whilst running a business.

Things to think about.

wrs, Melvok and TheDiffuser like this.
  12. babwine

babwine Karting

Nov 6, 2016
    Boca Raton/Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    Burt
    Absolutely no issue on phone. Bluetooth works fine . even with top down I can carry on a conversation... just put windows up. Also, I am 73 and other than ass in first, have no issues with driving comfort.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    would love to see a pic of that mileage! didn't know the counter went up that high

14. TheDiffuser

TheDiffuser Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    Brilliant. Keep rocking it, stories like yours are what keeps me in the game. DD wise, I just worry about what my sports injuries will prevent me driving when I hit my 70's!

Melvok likes this.
  15. cavsct94

cavsct94 Karting

Aug 26, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Perhaps I'm not quite as strident, but I agree with this for the most part. I'm investigating the F12 and the new Continental GT and will keep my 458 for the shorter drives.

16. andycav

andycav Karting

Mar 27, 2015
    New York
    Thanks for all of your great thoughts!
    I hadn't been considering a spider, but I will give it a look.
    I'll make sure to update the post when a decision is finally made,
    Thanks again for the insights.

Melvok likes this.
  17. FerrariFab

FerrariFab Karting

Jan 14, 2010
    Inland Empire
    Full Name:
    CFI Designs
    What year 458 do you have? customer brought by his 13 458 and the shifting is quite faster than my 2011.

18. Zalfor

Zalfor Karting

Mar 31, 2013
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John
    the transmission on the 458 isn't that good for DD in a city. if you're driving it on the highway its probably ok.

19. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    What Zalfor said. The NSX is a bit more refined, quieter, more Japanese-like in its characteristics. Shifting is smoother, the 458 is a bit rougher by comparison, especially in a city. The NSX is AWD, don’t know if that is important to you. Also, it’s a heavier car.

20. boogie

boogie Karting

Mar 4, 2016
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Remember that it rains into the engine compartment.

Can't imagine my 458 being my only way to get to work and having to park it in questionable places.

Driving it for me is an event, even though I'm not worried about miles or resale. Just me.

dustman and Melvok like this.
  21. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    A DCT failure of some kind seems to be the only serious problem one could encounter with the 458.
    Another thread has suggested going for a Ferrari warranty does not make sense financially, however it would be a good protection (at about $4.5K/year) if this risk is considered needing a mitigation.
    Regarding the gearbox for city use, I think it will only be a discomfort if trying to use it in auto - using the paddles (with no possibility of stalling since the clutch remains automated) should be OK.

shawdut likes this.
  22. andycav

andycav Karting

Mar 27, 2015
    New York
    Thanks for the comment on the transmission. While I will not be driving in the city on a daily basis (infrequent), I am in regular stop and go traffic as part of my daily commute.

The AWD component is nice on the NSX as I use Pirelli Sottozeros on the car in winter and drive in all weather conditions (rather impressive in snow), but I don't plan on doing this driving with the 458 so the RWD aspect should be fine. Please let me know if you disagree.

23. andycav

andycav Karting

Mar 27, 2015
    New York
    I prefer not to use auto, so if paddle shifting makes stop and go traffic easier to handle, excellent!

shawdut likes this.
  24. Zalfor

Zalfor Karting

Mar 31, 2013
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John
    honestly, i don't recommend 458 as a DD. but you'll probably buy it anyways because we all have this ferrari feeling

25. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I don't see why you couldn't daily drive it.
    I would recommend getting the newest/best car you can afford without stretching it.
    For daily use I'd go with a less loud, more refined color like Grigio Titanio or Silverstone (or similar).
    It would be nice if it had Bluetooth.
    Try out different seats, for me Daytona-style seats in my Spider are awesome.

Caeruleus11 likes this.