458 as a Daily Driver | Page 2 | FerrariChat

458 as a Daily Driver

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by andycav, Dec 25, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I wouldn’t DD as it tends to lose the specialness of the car after a month or so of heavy DD use.

As for the transmission not being suited for DD, I disagree completely. It’s an absolute gem in AUTO in race and brilliant in manual.

Just remember to get a switched valve controller to manage the annoying baffles.

tekaefixe and Caeruleus11 like this.
  2. daflk

daflk Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2013
    Hong Kong
    I drive this car 365 days a year. Sensor repairs stated above have been a day job so I’ve always been able to collect my car after work.

With literally daily driving, I respectfully disagree, despite sensor reliability issues that come with Ferrari since the original California, this car is an absolute gem for daily driving, once warmed up (which takes around 10 mins low rev driving).

For me it’s specialness doesn’t fade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shawdut, italiafan and jomarti1 like this.
  3. Lovedriving

Lovedriving Karting

Jul 14, 2018
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Eric D'Amours
    This car is not great at stop and go. It’s designed to go! I’d say great for daily driving except if it involves mostly city driving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    It takes a light touch on the throttle to drive it in traffic, as the throttle is sensitive and can be jerky. To get smooth shifts, you also need to keep a steady foot and not lift when shifting. It otherwise could be a fine DD.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

TheDiffuser and shawdut like this.
  5. Marcus01

Marcus01 Rookie

Jun 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    Marcus

Mine's Silverstone.

If that is low key I can't imagine the attention a red or yellow receives!

6. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    My new 458 was delivered this morning and also in Silverstone..It looks amazing in this color and really suits the 458..I can't imagine driving a red one where i live as my grey 458 already stands out among all other cars.
    It truly is a stunning car and the ride comfort(bumpy road mode) even on 21''F and 22''R is incredible for a supercar..

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  7. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Blu is the color for low key!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

DefunctNeurons, Boomhauer and Avia11 like this.
  8. Marcus01

Marcus01 Rookie

Jun 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    You guys are kidding yourselves. There is no such thing as a low key 458. The shape and the sound just turn heads irrespective of colour.

It's like a 9/10 woman...however she dresses people will gawp at her.

Like these girls, 458s are just sexy in every single way really.

TomC9786, Graz, tekaefixe and 2 others like this.
  9. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    I find my 2012 Ferrari 458 Bumpy as all get out. By the time I drive it back and forth to Atlanta, a 200 mile trip. I am wayyyy ready to get out of the car. The 550 was a easy on the body car to drive, I still miss how smooth that car was. But I do have the Carbon Fiber race seats.... they may not soak up much. Short trips as a DD would not be a problem.... and very realiable. I don't worry one bit about it breaking somewhere in the mountains. I live about 72 miles from the Tail of the Dragon. The 458 beats me to pieces when I get back home, but the 550, I was fresh, ready to go 400 more miles. But the cost of the 550 was insane, as I want all things fixed and anything that could fail to be fixed, so it was an expensive car to keep up. The 458 ... I am dumb founded.... it is like driving a Camry, just get in crank it and go, change the oil once a year. New technology is hard to beat I will say that for the 458. Just my 14 cents worth. By all means buy one, as the 9,000 rpm makes you forget most things in your busy day.

italiafan, daytona355 and dustman like this.
  10. schnazzy

schnazzy Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2008
    Seattle
    A friend has a 458 with over 80k miles and will hit 90k in the summer. It's his only vehicle. He drives in the city quite a bit.

I drive my F355 daily from april to september. Sometimes I drive my other car but for only rarely in the summer. To be fair though My work is only 10 miles away. After I bought the car and fixed a couple electric connection issues (corrosion from non-use) it has been 100% reliable, so I'd think a 458 is much better for DD. I wouldnt' worry about it. Get AAA or something if you are really concerned. It'll get a flat just like other cars.

11. TheDiffuser

TheDiffuser Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    Re your friends high mileage 458-please pass on to him from me that he's a Bloody legend!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tekaefixe likes this.
  12. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    458 is a damn nice machine. One that ought to be driven.

13. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    #38 MalibuGuy, Mar 18, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2019

14. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    One more time—hate how the iPhone seems to screw things up every time!

You can see my 100K mi car in the next issue of TOFM The Official Ferrari Magazine, both print and digital.

TomC9786 and tekaefixe like this.
  15. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Best car ever for a daily driver, As others have said, 2012+ is a good idea.

Weak link is the battery, so I'd recommend running a Braille i48CS myself

Ray

AClark likes this.
  16. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Legend!

17. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Wow, very nice! I haven't seen one with that high mileage yet... good for you!!!!

18. Banzairacer

Banzairacer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Sanjeev Thohan
    that's an awesome post.... thanks gives me hope yet.....

19. lamborarri

lamborarri Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    If you pick a good one, 458 can be daily no problem. I did try to daily the 458 but eventually gave up on it due to the character of the engine output. I was kinda tired with it but the car always wanna go. It made me feels like my finger always on the trigger. It's very daily usable other than that.

20. Dr. Kim

Dr. Kim Rookie

Feb 24, 2019
    Chino
    Full Name:
    Dr. Kim
    Hello, how did you know you had a bad E-diff sensor? Did a "E-Diff recovery" light turn on? My car occasionally has the "E-Diff recovery" light turn on while driving, but after turning off the engine and restarting, it goes away. I'm wondering if I'm headed towards replacing my E-diff sensors.

21. andycav

andycav Karting

Mar 27, 2015
    New York
    It's been several months since I started this thread and I am happy to say that I am now the proud owner of a 458. I purchased a 2010 Nero Daytona with a 2yr warranty. Have been daily driving it for the past few weeks (well, 4-5days/wk) and couldn't be happier. The engine note is other worldy, yet it can be driven tamely while on a conference call! And I could stare at the car for hours. I am loving my decision.

Sent from my SM-T837V using Tapatalk

22. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    You summed it up perfectly. Congrats on the new car!

Ray

23. Yellowgallardo1

Yellowgallardo1 Karting

Sep 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    marcus
    Drive it till the wheels fall off. My car has over 100k and still plugging along just fine

FourFiveGreat, alibo70 and ryalex like this.
  24. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    +1 I'm driving mine as much as I can. It's a '12 and the auto mode is very good, a little more noticeable on downshifts as you coast to a light, but with a gentle throttle touch it is fine.

My brake pads also bedded well for gentle braking - the techs warned me that some 458s 'bite' harder than others, but mine has enough softness at the start of the pedal that it keeps braking in traffic smooth.

25. andycav

andycav Karting

Mar 27, 2015
    New York
    I have a question on the windows and leaving them in the down position when the car is off. I was told that doing so will rapidly drain the battery. Has anyone else heard this and is it true?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk