458 Battery Problems !!! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

458 Battery Problems !!!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Titillator, Jul 5, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Ray is correct. You can disconnect the battery in your 458 without issues and it even shows you the correct procedure in the owners manual. BUT, there is a specific procedure for re-connecting the battery. This is also described in your owners manual, although you need to read the manual carefully to understand exactly how to do it because the procedure is described in a couple different sections.

2. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Yes, definitely follow the procedure in the manual after reconnecting the battery :)

3. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    We have discussed the lithium ion battery before ... price is rediculous highimo, compared to a normal battery ray ...

And will it last longer than 2 years ?

4. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Several times, for extended periods of time (i.e. months), like one does to an 80s/90s Ferrari with a cutoff switch and nothing happened?

Kind regards,

Nuno.

5. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Correct.

The car doesn't know how long it's off.

As long as you follow the battery reconnect procedure in the manual, it shouldn't make any difference if the car is off for 5 minutes or 5 months. The capacitors in the ECU drain in 5 or 6 seconds - just like with any computer system.

Ray

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  6. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    If I remember correctly, I believe the company (Braille) said the battery could realistically last up to 10 years or so on a street car (although don't quote me on that). I have a very similar design Lithium Ion battery on my motorcycle and it's going on 8.5 years with zero problems.

And yes, they quite expensive... but can you really put a price on never having to use a battery tender?

I don't think so :)

Ray

Ash Patel and Melvok like this.
  7. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #33 Melvok, Oct 28, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
    That's right Ray.

But I have not heared anyone who really used those car batteries that long ...

8. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    They are pretty new on the scene, all right. However, if my motorcycle battery is any example, I'm guessing 5-8 years easy. This is similar to the lifespan of batteries used in the Tesla as well.

The question here isn't how long a Lithium based battery will last. It's going to last however long the cells are capable of lasting. A better question is why a traditional battery - even one that is relatively new - is so prone to failing to start the 458 after only my a couple weeks of sitting, unless it's constantly attached to a battery tender.

I think part of the answer is that Ltihuim batteries have lower static discharge rates than normal batteries.

I drive my 458 about once a week, so the Braille I48CS works great and doesn't require any battery tender. Originally, I was going to use the I48CX (half the weight) but I opted for the CS model to gain more standby time.

I'm planning to do some more work on my 458 soon here. One thing I was going to do was graph the voltage levels of the Braille battery as it sits in the car over a period of 10 days or so. I'll follow up when I do that.

Ray

9. Baitschev

Baitschev Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2017
    Vienna
    Do not close your car with key .The Alarm is in off Mode .3 month and battery ok i do this 3 years. But my car stand allways open and sleep without charger

10. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Always learning. Thank you for your input, Ray!

I've also been told leaving the car unlocked will reduce the parasitic power drain on the battery.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

11. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I recently wired in a 500 amp DC shunt to the battery on my 458 and measured the parasitic current draw with both the alarm on vs. alarm off - the difference wasn't much as I remember. I don't have the specific readings, but I can maybe repeat the test and try to record it. It was also interesting to note that the current draw bounced around a bit as the car was sitting for a minute, which was a little unexpected. Around this time in my testing, I went to get my oscilloscope - and realized it had a cracked calibration knob. That was the end of parasitic current testing for the afternoon...

When I get back to installing the kill switch on the 458, I'll see about taking some more readings.

Ray

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  12. rugby

rugby Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Atlanta
    I am not sure why you installed a 500 amp shunt to measure the minute parasitic current. The values are likely to be much less than one amp. On my 360 I measured between 50 and 60 milliamps.

13. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Originally I was going to leave it in the car permanently, so I could monitor power usage and battery condition all the time. This being the case, the shunt would have needed to be able to withstand the high amps drawn during starting the motor.

For just measuring the parasite draw (when the car is off), something much smaller works fine.

On the 458, I believe my readings were between 40 and 75 milliamperes - depending on the alarm being on or off. Also, the car seems to do something funny regarding leaving power on to the infotainment module at times also.

Oddly, on my 360, I never had any problems relating to parasitic current draw. However, on the 458 it seems to be more of a concern.

Ray

14. 100badboy100

100badboy100 Formula Junior
    Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    CTek do a remote battery monitor that works on Bluetooth, it is on their website. You leave it connected to the battery permanently.

Not sure if that will be of use?

Regards

Michael

15. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I've heard good things about the Ctek. I opted to buy the Braille battery charger and then I'll be splicing on the Ferrari 458 connector, so the car's ECU knows when it's charging, etc. So far I have never had to use the charger, but it's nice to know it's handy if needed.

Ray

16. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Speaking of the battery...

I drove the car today, after having let it sit for about a week. Before I started it, I took a quick voltage reading. 13.22 volts after sitting unattended (alarm off) for about a week. Not bad. Car started right up.

Ray

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Here is the voltage reading via the cigarette lighter w/ ignition on

Here is the voltage reading according to the dash board - close enough :)

bberg009 and MalibuGuy like this.
  17. 100badboy100

100badboy100 Formula Junior
    Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hi Ray

You could use one of these CTEK battery sense monitors with your Braille battery to monitor your voltage via Bluetooth save getting the meter out each time...

http://www.ctek.com/products/vehicle/ctx-battery-sense

Regards

Michael

18. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    This is one of the best posts ever :)

Ray I totally agree, never have to use a battery tender is really the option I would pay most for if there were such an option from factory

19. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Looks cool. On the Braille battery, since it's Lithuim Ion, it does require a different charging method and voltage than a traditional battery. I'm not sure if the Ctek is fully compatible w/ the I48CS or not. I'd have to double check. The trickle charger I have is from Braille. There's also a very good thread on Ferrarichat showing how to wire up the actual Ferrari connector, which is something I'm planning on doing. I've already purchased all the fittings and tools to add the end to plug into the car; I'll post a thread about it soon.

The Ctek charger does look pretty cool though.

Ray

20. Ravers

Ravers Rookie

Jul 30, 2012
    Hinsdale Il
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Guys, when I check my battery voltage in the morning, it shows 12.4 volts. Is that unusually low(for a 12 hour sleep?)? Its a 1 year old Interstate battery and I have been driving it regularly, but it sat at the dealership for 9 months. Probably ran low regularly.

21. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    That's fine. Here's a handy chart:

Keep in mind that lithium cells have a different charge per cell, so that's probably why my battery is showing more than the voltage on the chart above.

Ray

AlfistaPortoghese and Ravers like this.
  22. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    When does the 458 get into trouble starting Ray ? At Yellow or at Green ?

23. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Rick, that is TOO low imo.

Read all about changing (in my Yolo thread ?) ... and be prepared.

Is a two hour job ... if you have the new battery and the simple tools. (Shown "red=oem" and "black is cheap" :D )

24. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I'd check to see where it is after 3 days and then a week, to get an idea of the discharge rate. Not sure at what level the car begins to have issues starting correctly.

Ray

MalibuGuy likes this.