458 Bluetooth Stereo | Page 2 | FerrariChat

458 Bluetooth Stereo

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Jorligan, Jul 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    This does look like a really good option

2. michaelr

michaelr Rookie

May 18, 2020
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Michael Riccioni
    I recently picked up a 458 spider and it has the old IPOD connector in the glovebox along with a USB port.

I got the Bovee 1000 and it works a treat. I had to disconnect it then re-connect it after I first paired it but from then on the IPOD display on the 458 would show music im paying on spotify.

3. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Congrats. Mine always cut in/out. I now have a longer adapter 30pin to lightning and as long as I dont move the phone at all, it works great.

4. 458SG

458SG Rookie

Oct 17, 2021
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Vipula
    For those still looking and struggling with the Bovee, I've just installed this and it works flawlessly.

My 2010 Italia didn't come with the bluetooth cable, but I was able to retrofit it (#257948 from EuroSpares) following instructions in this forum. Using the Invery Airdual 100, I can connect my iPhone over bluetooth 5.0 and have track details displayed on the right TFT screen, with full steering wheel control.

(ps - I'm not in any way connected with this company - sharing as I was impressed with their customer service and quality of the product)

https://invery.com/products/airdual-bluetooth-interface-audi-interface-volkswagen

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  5. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    f149, Sargepug, Terrence and 7 others like this.
  6. vv23

vv23 Karting

Jan 8, 2009
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Full Name:
    V V
    Any connection issues when you first start the car like the Bovee? Or does it auto connect and auto play?

Ariporsche likes this.
  7. 458SG

458SG Rookie

Oct 17, 2021
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Vipula
    No connection issues - just connects on start-up every time.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  8. vv23

vv23 Karting

Jan 8, 2009
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Full Name:
    V V
    Alright. I think you may have found the answer.

I'm gonna order one.

9. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    #34 rob5819, Dec 14, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
    I've been disappointed by Bovees and an FM transmitter and always return to the hard drive and a 2005 iPod 1st generation Nano for music in my 2014 458 Spider with the factory IPOD option. I ordered one of these -- https://invery.com/products/airdual-bluetooth-interface-audi-interface-volkswagen with low expectations.

It arrived today . . . and I am disappointed. It's raining in San Diego today so I have only tested in the garage, but every time I turn the car off / on the infotainment system switches from iPod to FM. I can use the right steering wheel button to toggle over to iPod for the invery product. Then I have to pull out my phone (Samsung S21 Android) and manually start music. I stream music from my phone in four other cars without having to do anything. I've tried both the "general" and "iphone" mode, oddly the iphone mode seems better with my Android phone. I typically have the right TFT screen on the digital speedometer, but I've also tried keeping the right screen on the media interface.

The Invery does display music info on the screen and I can use the right button to move forward / backward in my playlists. I have not yet had to disconnect / reconnect bluetooth or the physical device to get it working, which I often needed to do with the Bovee. I'll test it more once the weather is more appropriate for going out for a drive in case it is a power issue and the Invery needs to be charged up while driving to stay connected next time I turn the car on.

I'm interested to hear if other people are having similar or better experiences.

Rob

Attached Files:

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  10. Fv81587

Fv81587 Karting

Aug 18, 2018
    Novi, Mi
    Full Name:
    Frank Valeri
    Rob,
    Any update on the Invery product? I'm looking at getting either the Bovee or this one. It sounds like this one may be better than the Bovee but still has some issues.
    Frank

11. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    Rain and 40F weather in San Diego the last few days so i have not left the house. Heading out for a drive tomorrow to run some errands. The Invery is better than the Bovee in my very limited testing, but both have required me to cycle through the infotainment menu and select iPod and then manually start music from my phone. If you like to stream music off your phone either one will work, with some patience. I also tried an FM transmitter that worked really well, just hard to find an empty FM channel that covers my entire county.

I'm thinking the 458 does not keep the bluetooth adapter (either Invery or Bovee) powered up when the car is turned off. That is why it is not available when the car is first turned on. Admittedly, I've had my 458 for four years and am planning to replace my battery next time I'm at the dealer (I do keep it on a CTEK 7002 tender). For $65, the Invery seems pretty good so far, and it gives me an excuse to sit in my 458 in the garage and take it out for a drive when the weather cooperates.

Hope to send an update tomorrow,

Rob

12. 458Spider2013

458Spider2013 Karting

Dec 1, 2021
    Full Name:
    Pete Gregory
    #37 458Spider2013, Dec 16, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
    Look, theres no such thing as a 458 proprietary Bovee, Invery or otherwise. Do you actually think theres enough demand to have a specific unit for every car, let alone a Ferrari 458? The truth of the matter is that those Chinese units are listed in a way that when you search "458" it attaches your car to the search result to trick you into thinking that the unit is made specially for you. That said they are all cheap buggy and a PIA. The $9 unit on Amazon works the same way. They all use the same cheap Chinese guts used on all Alibaba units regardless of the many shapes and brands they come in.

The answer is getting the lightning converter, either cable or adapter, and call it the day. Not only does making a direct connection sound better sonically, it also charges your phone which to me is as important as the music itself. No fickly connections, no rebooting, nada. Get a vent magnet, live with the exposed wire and use your iPhone as your mini Tesla screen for Nav, Spotify, and hand free calls. $50 tops for the complete set up...converter, lightning cable, mag vent mount. Done.

Rexcat458 and rob5819 like this.
  13. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    I see your point, but . . . i don't have an iPhone. I am not wiling to pull my phone out to start music. i am definitely not willing to pull my phone out and connect it to anything. I'm perfectly fine using the hard drive for my music since I don't need streaming services, I just enjoy testing these other devices for fun. The $13 FM transmitter has worked better than anything else, but I still stick with the hard drive. Fortunately I do not need to stream music so that works for me, but not for everyone.

Bad news to test today. Sunny and 65F in San Diego, but my 458 won't start. 95% certain it's a dead battery (CTEK 7002 shows as good, multi-meter shows as 12.7, but nothing happens when i hit engine start). Will coordinate with my service advisor next week. Could be why the Invery powers off when the car is off and unavailable at initial startup.

Glad to hear you have a solution that works for you. You are definitely correct, since the three Bovees i have tested worked perfectly in other cars. Again, the hard drive is my solution, but I enjoy testing out different music options (I have 19 speaker zones in my house so it might be an unhealthy fixation).

Rob

14. 458Spider2013

458Spider2013 Karting

Dec 1, 2021
    Full Name:
    Pete Gregory
    #39 458Spider2013, Dec 18, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2021
    Isn't using a phone easier than using the cryptic Ferrari format? Use the phone for what it provides (Spotify, navigation, etc) and use the Ferrari for what it can do (radio, hard drive, etc). I dont get the "I am unwilling to...." part. Convenience alone of using Waze on your phone on the phone screen isn't easier quicker and more informative than launching Ferraris archaic system? 99% of us are using our phones already to NAV so you're already there. The hard drive will always be there but I thought the actual point of all this was to find a solid way to incorporate your phone in a reliable way, not as a replacement of what your hard drive can do but rather as an addition of adding the phones functionality to the user along side Ferrari's infotainment, or lack thereof.

15. Banzairacer

Banzairacer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Sanjeev Thohan
    I tried to at but the iPhone says it’s not a recognized device.
    I wonder if we replaced the old iPod connection to the radio was replaced with a modern lightning cable - would that work??

16. jagged155

jagged155 Karting

Dec 3, 2016
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Have you tried the Bovee prior? I think the issue is really the Ferrari system… Curious to see if this continue to work well - please report back.

17. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    I get the same issue with it not being a recognized device. After unplugging and replugging a few times it eventually recognizes it. Really crappy system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banzairacer likes this.
  18. DAV9XX

DAV9XX Rookie

Nov 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Eisele re
    Good evening and happy new year to you.

It was while browsing the forum that I found the reference of the Invery 100 adapter.
    I ordered it immediately and received it that day.
    It works perfectly well in my 458 Italia and I am very satisfied with it.

Thank you.

19. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    I wish I could say the same. I tested it a few weeks ago in my 2014 458 Spider and I had the same two problems I had with the Bovee: not available on startup (either requiring switching infotainment from FM or physically disconnecting/reconnecting the adapter), music needs to be manually started from my phone.

I was having battery problems at the time so thought maybe the adapter was shutting down while the car was turned off, causing it to be unavailable on startup. I got a new battery on 29 Dec (replacing the 8 year old factory original battery), but the Invery behaves exactly the same with a new car battery. If I leave the car off for more than an hour or so the infotainment switches from iPod/Invery to FM and I have to disconnect/reconnect the Invery to get it recognized on the iPod option.

Based on tests with my 458 and the Bovee I did not expect the Invery to work for me and it did not. I have no need to stream music or anything else from my phone so I'm sticking with the hard drive and my 2005 iPod Nano. Playlist management is easier on my phone vs. the hard drive/iPod nano, but not worth having to re-connect the Invery every time I head out to drive.

Just like the Bovee, I'm sure the Invery works great with other cars, and obviously some 458s. It just does not work with mine.

20. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Not as convenient, but an alternative is to get a 4th Gen iPod Touch and just use the existing 30 pin connector.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

21. r6elmo

r6elmo Karting

Sep 12, 2010
    I've tried the bovee and the Invery on my 2010 458 and no luck on either one. I normally see 'ipod' when I plug my ipod in, but iwth the adpaters in, i see the LED light powering them on but i dont' see a tab on my infotainment screen. After all of this I'm just going with listening to the radio and returning the device.

rob5819 likes this.