458 - 458 Bovee Bluetooth | FerrariChat

458 458 Bovee Bluetooth

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by JB1997, Jan 26, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JB1997

JB1997 Karting

Mar 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Brainard
    Hey everyone, so I currently have a few exotics that I love to drive including my F8 however I’m looking to get something for my place up in CT that I won’t care as much about financially. I’m thinking of just getting a base 458 Italia and have a question about the bovee Bluetooth adapter I see always being mentioned here. How does it work? Does it just plug into a usb somewhere or something? If Bluetooth isn’t a priority for me, could I just plug my iPhone into the USB port for music? Yes I know how good the engine sounds and I can already hear the “the engine is music enough” however I do enjoy listening to actual music when I’m stuck in traffic or just cruising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Plug into the iPod connector in the glove compartment. It allows you to stream from your phone on the iPod pull down on the radio menu.

3. phatteus

phatteus Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2007
    New York
    Full Name:
    Matt
    The iPod plug in the glove was an option. But all cars have an on board hard drive you can load. I have the bovee like others but you have to do a quick plug and unplug before using each time. I’ll do it for longer drives or when stuck in traffic, but otherwise I’m just listening to the engine or old fashioned radio.

4. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    I bought one. It requires at least one unplug replug for each trip. I never use it.

Robert Collins likes this.
  5. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    I do not have the ipod connector. just some usb deal to upload music. Could never figure it out. The person who owned the car before me uploaded a few gigabytes of Usher so I have that. I also have a few CDs loaded that I've heard a million times. I am one of the "engine sounds is music enough" people but I feel you on wanting tunes once in awhile. I actually look forward to driving my wife's honda because it has carplay and i can play my apple music. I have a three hour drive coming up I'm taking the 458 on and I'm planning on bringing my portable speakers and playing the music from my phone. much better sound than ferrari speakers anyways...

6. JB1997

JB1997 Karting

Mar 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Brainard
    I’ll just load some music to the hard drive I think. Just seems like it would be easier than dealing with the bovee in traffic. Thank you.

7. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    I was over the moon that I got a "base" 458 Italia. Must be nice to have one as a spare. :p

To use a Bovee you need the iPod connector which not all cars came with. Mine worked for a little but now just won't work at all. I can never get the car to recognize that the iPod connector is connected.

Right now I have a little FM transmitter plugged into my cig lighter. That actually works really well and consistently.

r6elmo and cole328 like this.
  8. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    Uploading music to the hard drive via usb is pretty easy and the main way I listen to music. From the music screen tap the "Menu" button, scroll up to "My Files," then "My Music," "Import Music," "From USB," and you will get the screen "Import Music from USB."

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I have found that if I put the music in separate directories they will show up as separate playlists. I have also exported iTune playlists to USB and imported them that way. The copying goes pretty quickly. I usually do it with the battery tender plugged in and it gives me an excuse to go spend 30 minutes sitting in the car in the garage on days when I have nowhere to drive. You will also see the "Delete Music" option as you scroll through.

I also have a 1st generation iPod nano with the iPod connection and I can switch back and forth between the two options using the button on the back of the right steering wheel.

Happy to provide any other info to help out.

Rob

Robert Collins, Chizz and 3POINT8 like this.
  9. jahdish

jahdish Karting

Aug 9, 2004
    tampa, fl
    Full Name:
    Paul Dziadosz
    I may be one of the few, but mine has worked fairly flawlessly for the first month I have had it. There have need a few times that I have had to go in my phones Bluetooth settings and hit the “disconnect” button for the Bovee. I then immediately reconnect and all good

JariT and bball16 like this.
  10. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob

Rob can you explain how to export an Apple Music (iTunes) playlist to a USB stick? I can't figure that out. My attempts have failed.Thanks!

11. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    (This is on a Windows 10 computer)

With the USB drive in and open in Windows File Explorer, open Itunes, find the playlist you want, then select/highlight all the songs in the playlist and drag/drop them onto the usb drive. i typically create a directory with the same name as the playlist and it will show up as the same playlist when I import to the 458 hard drive.

I spent a lot of time trying to figure out File/Library/Export/whatever, but it is basically just drag the songs from a playlist in iTunes onto the usb drive.

Hope this helps,

Rob

Chizz likes this.
  12. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    I don't know why no one takes the portable FM transmitter approach. Seriously it's stupid easy to set up and then you can play whatever you want from your phone without having to mess with the Bovee unit.

13. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    listening...go on....

14. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Thanks Rob, that couldn't have been simpler. Now I have to import into the car.
    On a Mac...
    Create folders on a USB
    In Apple music, go to the playlist you want to copy.
    Select the first song in the list
    Go to the top and select Edit and then Select all
    Drag the highlighted list onto the folder you created on the USB

rob5819 likes this.
  15. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    Excellent. Importing into the 458 is pretty easy (see above). Feel free to ping me if you have any issues. The only problem I've ever had using the hard drive is that switching between playlists on the hard drive, some times it turns off "random" mode and plays the playlist in order. Fairly simple to go back and choose random order, but one extra step. Please report back if you have the same issue, it is rare, but annoying, for me.

As I post in every Bovee thread, Bovees are very consistently inconsistent in the 458. I use the hard drive for my main playlist, I use the iPod connection (with a 2005 1st generation Nano) for my wife's main playlist. Easy to switch between sources using the button on the back of the right side of the steering wheel.

16. daflk

daflk Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2013
    Hong Kong
    The iPod cable - just buy it and plug in in. All 458/ came with the iPod connector wiring harness. Look it up here.

Using Spotify works fine. It’s a hassle to manage usb mp3 files if you want to change up your music.

17. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Mikes90ef8 likes this.
  18. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
  19. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    ok nevermind found it

20. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    buying now

21. Mikes90ef8

Mikes90ef8 Karting

Oct 8, 2018
    Full Name:
    MM
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Sweet. Let me know how it goes. Should be just plug and play.

23. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    Mikes90ef8 likes this.
  24. Mikes90ef8

Mikes90ef8 Karting

Oct 8, 2018
    Full Name:
    MM
    #24 Mikes90ef8, Jan 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
    I ordered this - tested it on a vehicle at my job, works like a charm. best $13 ive spent in a long time.
    thank you

25. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Glad it worked. Now you can listen to music and podcasts to your heart's content!

Mikes90ef8 likes this.