458 brake failure | Page 3 | FerrariChat

458 brake failure

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ATran, Jul 23, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Golattus

Golattus Karting
    BANNED

Dec 15, 2017
    Full Name:
    JN
    I
    Are the master cylinder and booster on challenge same than road 458’s? If not, what’s the difference?

Thanks

2. phishgoldy

phishgoldy Karting

May 12, 2014
    NYC
    Subscribed. Yikes.

3. Viper830tt

Viper830tt Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 10, 2017
    I hope this is an issue that can be teased out with mileage for those of us in the market for a used car (although someone mentioned issues at 8k miles). Im crossing my fingers that buying one with 5 or 10k miles and having a solid PPI will offer some protection in addition to being cognizant of this issue in general. Thanks to everyone for sharing their experience and insight into this. This forum is so awesome.

of2worlds likes this.
  4. graphicdisorder

graphicdisorder Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2015
    Johnson City, TN
    It's happening on 488's too. Mine did it.

sampelligrino and of2worlds like this.
  5. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    There has been several reports on the 488 indeed, I suppose the defect was simply carried over from the 458.
    What is disturbing is that's it a very serious issue, but at the same time statistically rare enough to be neglected by Ferrari - which is frustrating.
    I have been lucky (or not unlucky...) so far with my 488, and I hope it will remain the case... and that the F8 does not have the problem.

MANDALAY and sampelligrino like this.
  6. graphicdisorder

graphicdisorder Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2015
    Johnson City, TN
    Most will never encounter the problem because most Ferraris are garage queens or pick up Starbucks 1 time a month and the owner hits 80mph and stops super easy. Beat on that car and I think you'll find it's problem is huge. I had no brakes at 140mph once in mine. Was no fun. Ferrari was a joke as far as support.

of2worlds likes this.
  7. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    Subscribed, crazy issue and super concerning

8. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Free tow if under warranty.

9. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Saw a review on Motor Week where you can use the e-brake in an emergency. Will this work on a 458?

10. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
  11. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    How do we activate that in an emergency Phil ?

12. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I would guess you would pull the brake switch on the left lower side of the dash on 458.

13. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Maybe if you’re quick enough to realize what’s happening and then happen to remember where the particular button is. And then that button actually works at 70 mph. Simply unacceptable and criminally dangerous if true.

Ash Patel likes this.
  14. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    Any updates? Symptoms, etc?

15. tr328

tr328 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    Pacifica, California
    Full Name:
    Darryl
    Ditto,
    Any updates?
    Someone mentioned reset? Does that help and if so, how to reset.

16. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    All day with no info.....must not be a big issue.

17. RalphyRS

RalphyRS Rookie

Aug 1, 2019
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rafael Rafols
    Incredible. This just happened to me at COTA on turn 12, after 3-4 laps, 1st session. When I applied brake, the pedal went to the floor at 140-150Mph. Thank God for the long run off there. I was not injured. 2012 458 here, had brake fluid flush and "pre-track inspection" done by F San Antonio the day before. When I got back to the pits, techs said I must have overheated the brakes, riding the brakes along the track and that I was braking too vigorously. Whatever bro. No warning given by the car. Horrible feeling. I cannot trust the car. For track, I will stick with my GT3 RS. So, disappointed by this. Very dangerous too. I guess my 458 will just be a street cruiser...

18. tr328

tr328 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    Pacifica, California
    Full Name:
    Darryl
    RalphyRS,

Since the problem, have your brakes worked normal? Let us know if you find the problem with the failure. I don't track my car but any brake failure on any car is scary. Glad you are safe!

19. thebigo

thebigo Karting

Feb 10, 2019
    For really hot track laps, the brake fluid typically used by your dealer is not usable. You should use race brake fluid with a much higher boiling point, for example Castrol SRF. Not cheap, but worth any penny.

Golattus and Caeruleus11 like this.
  20. RalphyRS

RalphyRS Rookie

Aug 1, 2019
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rafael Rafols
    I will be getting the car back next week. I will review the tech notes and update then

21. tr328

tr328 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    Pacifica, California
    Full Name:
    Darryl
    Thank you!

22. ferrame

ferrame Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Orange, Calif
    I am a close friend of the OP. After his 458 brake failure had occurred during the canyon drive as he mentioned on the first post I went ahead and flushed the whole system and installed Motul 600 racing brake fluid for him since then he had not encountered any more brake failure.

of2worlds likes this.
  23. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    Is there any downside to the racing fluid? Seems I heard its prome to trapping moisture qiucker than regular fluid? If so, does that mean the brake system should be flushed more frequently?

24. thebigo

thebigo Karting

Feb 10, 2019
    That's true for some of them, but not for all. The already mentioned SRF has a higher wet boiling point than some standard brake fluids, when they are dry.

25. Golattus

Golattus Karting
    BANNED

Dec 15, 2017
    Full Name:
    JN
    Pure racing brake fluids can destroy some parts on your standard car, so read carefully before putting in your car. But of course the fluid that dealers use is just for commuting.

Castrol SRF react is perfect for track days on standard cars.

Anyway I don’t see likely that the wrong brake fluid makes brake system fail completely. It must be related to the booster..

Ferrari should do something!!!

Melvok and of2worlds like this.