458 Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel: should I get it? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

458 Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel: should I get it?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by NR458, Feb 29, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Funny my dealer told me the exact opposite! It's amazing people's perceptions.

It's not a gimmick though. I do use it.

2. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    So do the boys in F1. :cool:

Must have. I agree.

3. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    I like it. But its not like I drive around staring at my steering wheel. Still I would order it again, the CF feels good, looks nice and really suits the car well. Yeah its expensive and overpriced, but hey look at what you're buying. Its all ridiculous. Just go with it.

4. shawsan

shawsan Formula 3

Jul 2, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    As always, and with due respect, I `concede, ``each to his/her own``. In my 458 and most other cars I've owned, I rarely look at the tac when shifting up, let alone bling lights on the steering wheel which I think are a distraction. My bling comes from the track and a long process of getting to know the engine under my butt such that shifting becomes an integral part of the driving experience with as little bling assists as possible.

5. NR458

NR458 Rookie

Oct 1, 2011
    Thanks to everybody. Ferrari Chat is amazing in that respect. I decided to get it. Now I just can't wait to get the damn thing!

6. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Good decision.

A day without a CF steering wheel is like a day without sunshine. :eek:

7. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    Agreed. Just drove my 458 and I never looked at the tach, just side glances at the red led lights in the steering wheel. I love it.

8. vegas

vegas Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Australia
    My two cents worth - the led strip is an essential if you are driving at full pace. I used a similar string of leds when rally driving and it was very useful in making critical gear changes, a few hundred revs out and you drop from the peak of the power curve.
    I don't think it's necessary for the street (agree it looks cool) - BUT, I'll be selling my 360 this year - and upgrading to one owner a 458 - ironically and in total contradiction to my own logic - I will be looking for one that has the led option.

9. reymusic

reymusic Karting

Jun 26, 2011
    Miami,Fl
    Full Name:
    Reynaldo
    if i want to add the CF steering wheel where do i buy it?

10. 2k7997tt

2k7997tt Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    John M.
    I don't believe it is possible (feasible) to add the CF steering wheel after the build.

11. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    A complete no brainer. If really pushing on, you only have time for a quick glance and the lights give you that info in a nano second. I like to think I know how to drive these cars but no way could I tell the last 1000 revs and the lights do it. There is a reason ALL F1 cars use such a system. As to residuals, yes, most buyers want a car with the carbon wheel, hence better resale. You made the right decision.

12. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Totally agree. Picked up a 2011 458 three months ago and did not consider any cars that did not have it.

13. dr.sb

dr.sb Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Sunny B
    If you do not want the carbon fibre, you can get the steering wheel with LED in leather. Saving you on carbon fibre costs. Because it is a special option, it will obviously cost more than you would probably expect, but it is possible according to the people down at Maranello when I went on the Atelier. It was a consideration for me. But I do think if you want to explore the true nature of the 458, the LEDs are important - firstly like the Mayor is saying and he obviously has a lot of experience, the tach just can not keep up, secondly, it is at a more attainable level to the eye than the tach (even if it is marginal) and if you are pushing the car that much, those split seconds should help. Also, i would think you do not actually really even need to look as much for the LEDs, but you are just aware due to peripheral vision what is happening to them, not true of the tach.

Ps. I opted for carbon fibre LED steering wheel as well.

14. dolphins08430

dolphins08430 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2011
  15. F430kenric

F430kenric Formula 3

Mar 27, 2011
    I say get the carbon steering wheel. It looks the business and I really use it. A wonderful option and you can turn off the LEDs on wheel if it bothers you.

16. rlips

rlips Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    My 458 order is going in this week, and will have the CF wheel and shift lights. The idea is not to look at the steering wheel, the lights will be visible in your peripheral vision.

I added this to my race car, here is a clip: (disregard the tach data overlay, it wasn't working)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaUgFfZyNmw&feature=plcp[/ame]

Very helpful, keeps my eyes up and looking through the corner, as they should be.

17. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    LISTEN TO BOB!

18. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Excellent idea.

Now, everyone:

Send me MONEY. :)

19. reymusic

reymusic Karting

Jun 26, 2011
    Miami,Fl
    Full Name:
    Reynaldo
    So it's not possible to add the led cf steering wheel after the car is build? Wanted to add it on my car

20. dr.sb

dr.sb Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Sunny B
    I would think that there should be a way. Just talk to your dealer who will surely get in touch with Ferrari. I would be surprised if not doable - just will be quite pricey I suppose.

21. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    I have it on my 12 coupe and use it every time that I drive it hard. The 458 shifts so quickly that the LED's are essential. You simply do not have the time to look away at the tach when driving it hard. IMHO, it's one of the "must haves" on any 458.

22. carcommander

carcommander Formula 3

Sep 28, 2006
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I like mine a lot.

23. RBK

RBK F1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2006
    Calif and Nev
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I would get rid of the tach before the steering wheel with LED's. I have always relied on a tach whether on the street or track and can honestly say since driving the 458 don't ever glance at it. Best

24. JackCongo

JackCongo Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I also got it with the race package: clearly a must-have option!

25. dry4re

dry4re Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2005
    AZ
    It's a fun option if you just drive, and a great option if you track...

the reality is that if you are going to build a car at this price get what you really want and enjoy it because it is a new car that will depreciate.

Depreciation will accelerate on the introduction of the next model, so unless you are going to try to flip it quickly (which on a spider may be academic if you have to sign a contract that you have to sell it back to the dealer) the value is going to go down. Hopefully, your enjoyment of the car is not predicated on its depreciation.