458 challenge manettino settings and fuel octane? | FerrariChat

458 challenge manettino settings and fuel octane?

Discussion in 'Challenge/GT Cars/Track' started by MEGACHAD, Aug 29, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MEGACHAD

MEGACHAD Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 24, 2021
    Full Name:
    CHAD AALDERS
    Guys, Wondering if in the VCI I can adjust the manettino switch settings? I drove my car this weekend. Loved it. Car is amazing. The setting on traction 2 was way too interruptive, setting 1 was forgiving, but still not quite enough. I was hoping to set 2 to be more like 1 and to adjust 1 a little less interruptive.

I drove with it off and did ok. I could become quite handy in the car with it off, but I was hoping to lower the amount of computer aid on both 1 and 2 settings. If anyone knows if that is possible please advise.

Also is there a setting for fuel octane in the vci? if not what is the lowest octane I can run.

I just haven't had a chance to play with the vci yet so I figured i'd ask here. Thank you

Here is a vid of my driving performance. I feel I picked up pace in the car quite quick. It is by far the easiest race car I have ever driven. Also my favorite!!

I put a total of about 40 laps in the whole weekend, but it was a very productive learning experience.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

mdrums and JAM1 like this.
  2. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    #2 windsock, Sep 18, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2022
    No adjustments available. What you have is what you get. One is for wet conditions, 2 for dry and off is obviously off. Monitor rear brake usage in 1 or two as it can become quite abusive to the rear brakes if you are leaning on the traction control rather then driving the car to its limit. Fuel octane is not adjustable. The absolute minimum you should run is 92 pump fuel but you will likely see a lot of errors in the ION modules for spark control. Running VP 100 is preferred, eliminates the errors, car runs much better. We order in 55 gallon drums. If you have similar 100 unleaded at the track that will work as well. Make sure you are removing the coils and blowing the carbon from the plug boots and plugs or you will develop ignition errors and drivability issues. Several bulletins released on it.

ewright likes this.
  3. Bahb7

Bahb7 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 8, 2011
    Boston, MA area
    I just picked up my 458 Challenge a few days ago and won’t have a chance to run it on the track until spring.

I’m curious about the fuel/octane issue and getting the errors. Isn’t this a street engine? Does a street 458 Italia have these same issues with ION module errors and needing spark plugs/boots blown out if running on say 93 octane pump gas?

I had a 430 challenge (also a street engine) and ran 93 octane pump gas for the last 5 years and had zero issues with that car.

4. MEGACHAD

MEGACHAD Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 24, 2021
    Full Name:
    CHAD AALDERS
    I have been running 98 octane and 100 octane. I was told you could go as low as 96 but you shouldn't go lower.

5. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    My only position is in off mode. The higher octane gas keeps the engine cooler.

6. MEGACHAD

MEGACHAD Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 24, 2021
    Full Name:
    CHAD AALDERS
    Not quite sure what you mean by that.. You only drive with it off? I agree.. Now that I have driven the car I warm the tires up and then turn off the manetino

7. PETER@TEAM AI

PETER@TEAM AI Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Nov 4, 2014
    Charlotte
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Bob,
    Congrats on the change to the 458! Hope to see it at Watkins Glenn at the next FCA event.
    Cheers

8. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    Like I said, rarely is the manettino on. With new tires, warm the car up for about 2-3 laps and stay off the curbs then you are good to go. This car is very sensitive to ride height and tire pressures. I would ask around about a baseline setup and adjust from there. Everything depends on track temps and weather conditions.
    I bought an electronic tire pressure gauge for my car. That's how important tire pressure is for this car.