458 check engine light | FerrariChat

458 check engine light

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Gofastr, Jan 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gofastr

Gofastr Karting

Jan 7, 2019
    I just bought my first Ferrari, a 2010 458 on Monday. Filled it up with gas for the first time today and after leaving the station, I noticed the check engine light. No limp mode. Recycled the ignition a couple times and light is still there. Unfortunately the closest Ferrari dealer is a little over two hours away. Any ideas on the cause and the fix?

Sent from my SM-G955U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Check the gas cap .. sounds silly but sometimes it is on loose or cross threaded and not air tight..this will cause a light

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

3. Gofastr

Gofastr Karting

Jan 7, 2019
    It's a capless system. I believe there are two valves that open when you push the gas nozzle in.

4. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Oh sorry ..did not realize .. check to see if they sealed or stuck open ??

5. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I have heard and read that sometimes that those caps do not close correctly .. it is certainly could be something else but without you reading codes I would say it has to do with that cap.

Sometimes putting the nozzle of a gas pump in there again would let it reseal .. not sure if you can stop at a gas station and try inserting and remove nozzle one more time

Also realize even if problem is fixed .. sometimes it takes as much as 30 mins of driving or 50 starts to go away

6. Gofastr

Gofastr Karting

Jan 7, 2019
    I used a 5/8 inch deep socket on a 4 in extension (making sure I didn't drop the socket in the gas tank) and was able to get them both open. Then removed it quickly so they clicked closed. Maybe that will do it? We'll see.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

7. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Ok sounds good .. it hard to suggest using things like that on here cause if sometime happens we fell bad .. but that is something I would have done not to trex to gas station

Let's see .. if you were in central NJ I would have said stop by and I can read your codes

8. Gofastr

Gofastr Karting

Jan 7, 2019
    What kind of code reader does it take to read the codes on a 458?

9. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    If you are looking to get simply basic odb codes and not look at every couple on board .. a elm327 with either torque pro or better yet eobd facile will give you basic codes ..such as a loose gas cap etc

More extensive multiple ecu reads and adjustments etc require much more expensive options .. like texa , auto enguinity, Leonardo , or the Ferrari diag tool

There is some talk about a chinese knock off x431 as well

Hope that helps

Gofastr likes this.
  10. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    What flash32 says. You can simply buy a Bluetooth ELM327 scanner for under $15 on Ebay. They work fine with some freeware app for an iPhone or other smart phone. It will read any generic emission Pcode and works fine for reading and resetting. At least with that info, you can converse with your closet FNA dealer about your troubles and determine when a visit is required.

Gofastr likes this.
  11. Gofastr

Gofastr Karting

Jan 7, 2019
    I had a friend with OBD II check the codes and showed p2188 in p2190. Sounds like it could be a lot of things.

12. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    They are pretty much in line with a venting leak (loose gas cap)

Did you cleared them and drive around since you were able to reseat the cap ?

13. Gofastr

Gofastr Karting

Jan 7, 2019
    Couldn't clear the codes.

14. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    A loose gas cap will not immediately trip a check engine light. It would take a couple of drive cycles for the ECU to confirm the issue.

The car may have had an existing issue before you purchased it. The dealer cleared the light. The light appeared after the required number of drive cycles, and the ecu tripped the light. It just so happens you just filled it so it seems it's related.

15. Gofastr

Gofastr Karting

Jan 7, 2019
    Highly unlikely the dealer would admit to that or take any responsibility.

16. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    It may be difficult, but it can be proven with a scan of the car. The ecu records the last fault memory clear by mileage.

Have the car scanned, and the report printed. Take that along with the current milage reading on the car to the selling dealer, and have them explain. Then fight to have them repair it.

I have done this numerous times and usually its plainly evident the engine light was cleared just before the customer took delivery. Once confronted with the evidence, the seller usually comes to the table to repair the issue. The car never lies..however people do.

Gofastr likes this.