458 crashed car cost | FerrariChat

458 crashed car cost

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ChadR, Jul 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ChadR

ChadR Karting

Jun 19, 2019
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Taj B
    Whats the most you'd buy a salvaged 458 for with full front end damage, No chassis damage but front bumper, bonnet, and 2 front quarter panels missing. Any what would it realistically cost to fix everything? Sort of like the image i've uploaded.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Can you post copy of the insurance repair estimate? There will be so many miscellaneous pieces involved virtually impossible to throw out a realistic number without it. FWIW there’s reason they call them totals. Good luck

paulchua and ChadR like this.
  3. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Figure out what you could make parting it out and then make an offer.

paulchua and ChadR like this.
  4. ChadR

ChadR Karting

Jun 19, 2019
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Taj B
    I don't have access to the insurance repair estimate unfortunately.

5. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    if the frame and wheels are not damaged a friend of mine had one damaged to a similar extent about 5 years ago it was repaired by karosserie in Pa... at the time it cost about 80K so my bet around 90 to 100k to repair it and they fixed that car perfect...

anunakki and ChadR like this.
  6. ChadR

ChadR Karting

Jun 19, 2019
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Taj B
    Thanks, do you know what the labor costs were like?

7. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Our family owned a body shop for over 30 years but Porsche and repainting a few Bentleys was as close as we ever came to repairing an exotic. Really have no idea what todays labor rates would be on such a vehicle.

ChadR likes this.
  8. ChadR

ChadR Karting

Jun 19, 2019
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Taj B
    So why are people spending over 120000 for them in worst condition? Some of them have the chassis twisted and the doors crushed.

9. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    A member here was hit from behind at 6MPH. It was send to a Ferrari approved shop in San Diego.

The bill ran over $50K and took 3 months.

LARRYH and ChadR like this.
  10. ChadR

ChadR Karting

Jun 19, 2019
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Taj B
    what....:eek:

11. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    You could spend a fraction of the costs mentioned in this post if you're willing to be patient and source used parts and find someone who's willing to charge you normal prices for the actual repair.

I'm 360 Canuck and ChadR like this.
  12. ChadR

ChadR Karting

Jun 19, 2019
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Taj B
    I can fix it myself. but I mean 150,000 fully spent on a salvaged 458(not including labor), when you can get one for less than 200 no hassle? I just don't understand the economics behind it.

I'm 360 Canuck and VAF84 like this.
  13. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    No I do remember they used all Ferrari new parts and sent a bunch of pictures as I recall the car was still under warranty
    at the time. I do know this shop is not a low priced shop but more of a high dollar sho that did very excellent work

ChadR likes this.
  14. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    they would have to be nuts to Pay 120k for that... hell my friends car(the crashed one from the other post) only sold for 150k 2 years ago because of the accident and it looked perfect but he took a big hit..in value.

ChadR likes this.
  15. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    There are a bunch of youtube channels rebuilding wrecked exotics. BUT...it doesn't have to make money or economic sense for them. It just has to make good content so they can keep making money off youtube and merchandise.

16. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Anyone who purchases a totaled exotic as you’ve described and with zero experience, without having a reputable individual/facility examine it before purchase .will Almost assuredly Lose their *** weather in repairs or resale. Really makes no sense when you can purchase a higher mileage to 458 for under $150,000 with records and no stories.

Thomasio and ChadR like this.
  17. aslowdodge

aslowdodge Karting

Jun 5, 2004
    Marietta, Georgia
    The you tube channel of the goonz squad rebuilt a huracan. After seeing the cost I think one would be better off getting a non wrecked car for not much more.
    They are now rebuilding a 458. I think the two guys are in their early twentie

ChadR likes this.
  18. ChadR

ChadR Karting

Jun 19, 2019
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Taj B
    Yes, I saw that. I watch all the salvaged 458s on the auctions, and they bids always going above 100k.

I agree. I thought that it didnt make sense.

19. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Images in OP looks like TJ Hunt's car. And I agree with it making financial sense for him because of the revenue he makes off the videos (merchandising as well as ad revenue).

In non-YouTube life, it makes no sense unless you want to do massive modifications that can't be easily reversed (cutting body panels) or want a track car. Or if you own the body shop and can do it all for real cheap.

ChadR likes this.
  20. ChadR

ChadR Karting

Jun 19, 2019
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Taj B
    Yeah, I just googled a 458 head on collision and got that picture. But many of them have that same kind of damage. the whole front is gone, but the engine starts and the car runs, because it's the frunk that got damaged. But the kind of bids I see on them...

There's even an 812 that has a head on collision and the radiator is ziptied on top of the engine, they bidding big bucks on it.

21. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I hydroplaned in may off the freeway in the middle of Utah in May in my FF. I drove it 400 miles to Vegas after. My insurance is paying $88k just for body work. $70k parts and ?$18k labor. There is $4100 just to replace clearbra. All parts coming from Italy.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

daytona355, ChadR and LARRYH like this.
  22. WestCoasta

WestCoasta Karting
    BANNED

May 18, 2016
    california
    Is TJ trying to find a sale price?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

23. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    #23 308 milano, Jul 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    I’m also fairly certain that the high bids you are seeing are from dismantlers. There is probably a very high demand for 458 parts at this point in time , but they go into the bidding process knowing EXACTLY what’s there and how much they can make on available parts. OR, if they decide to offer it to the public as a rebuilder, how much of a loss they will take for just the salvaged title. We had a license that allowed us into the insurance auctions years ago. There was also vehicles we would see come through that were theft recovery’s or with very little damage that the insurance companies would require they must be dismantled never to be on the road again. Not sure why, just one of their policies.

sparetireless and ChadR like this.
  24. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    One final point. Many vehicle for sale with a salvaged title are described as being in a “minor fender bender, minimal damage, Light water damage“ etc. this should instantly grab your attention and if the seller doesn’t have extensive pre-repair pictures I would never even consider the purchase, especially with an exotic. You’re opening yourself up to liability issues later on down the road Should you decide to sell. Insurance issues. Whole bunch of really fun stuff!

ChadR likes this.
  25. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    This guy did almost the same repair in his youtube channel:

paulchua likes this.