458 crashed car cost | Page 2 | FerrariChat

458 crashed car cost

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ChadR, Jul 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jdanosborn

jdanosborn Rookie

Sep 23, 2009
    In my view right now unless you can get a nonsalvage title car, choose another model. These cars are trading on CoPart over $100k. Smart rebuilders will tell you you need to be all in post repairs at around 60% of retail. Several people on YouTube have done this so do your research, bid low and wait for the right opportunity

2. xotik

xotik Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2009
    Gulf Coast
    Full Name:
    Chad
    Those cars are worth much more when parted out. I agree with all the other comments to spend a little more and get a complete car with no hassles.

3. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    #28 I'm 360 Canuck, Jul 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    I would approach a car like this with a price based on what I could sell the remaining parts for, and a little extra for my trouble. if it’s rebuild able at a reasonable price, that’s a bonus. but at least my ass is covered.
    That looks like a big accident...a lot of cars are written off for minimal damage, but this isn’t one of them.
    What’s a 458 motor, trans, ecu’s, interior etc worth?
    I suppose the vin itself is worth something to a car thief hahaha

Imo 458s are in the bitter spot of being a rapidly depreciating car with little collectible potential that still has high parts/repair costs, so not a good candidate for a rebuild.

4. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Chad, I'd mentioned this car elsewhere, but will use it as an example. 2010 Italia, got hit left front by a Camry, maybe 20-25MPH accident.

It's probably in better condition now than factory. 100% stripped glass out paint, and black roof added, and lots of money put into this car. The owner's thinking $130K, which, may be realistic, but now you've gotta explain to the NEXT person, why it is what it is. It's probably worth that, but it takes the right person to take a stab.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

ChadR likes this.
  5. TomAZ

TomAZ Karting

Jun 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Thomas Ellis
    Holy smokes

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    The sum of the parts and labor is far greater then the price of the car

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

ChadR likes this.
  7. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Remember, engine is in the back ;)
    So a lot of expensive parts back there.

ChadR likes this.
  8. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    Look at autotrader and you will find 5 cars for under $140,000. Based on a previous comment about $100,000 to repair does it make sense to buy this car?

Napoli, ChadR and paulchua like this.
  9. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
  10. artsd

artsd Formula Junior
    Owner

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    Art
    This guy should be sponsored by Dramamine with that amount of shaky camera work.

11. RWC58

RWC58 Karting

Oct 14, 2018
    Columbus Ohio
    Full Name:
    Robert W Crooks
    The price of these cars depends on how much you can get out of parting them out and on a part out these tend to have every nut and bolt for sale . Being in the business it would never be financially feasible to rebuild this unless you had the parts readily available and had the means to not pay for labor I. E. you own a body shop. Even then it would be a serious stretch due to the fact you would have a salvage title and if anything went wrong or it had hidden damage you would be done. The parts prices are a little higher than a Ford Focus . LOL !!

efg2014 and 308 milano like this.
  12. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    In my mind the only real reason for a regular person to realistically buy any exotic salvage car is for a project car or a track only car. The project aspect defined in my mind as you get in (the car) relatively cheap and build it over a period of time for enjoyment reguardless of cost or time involved for your own personal use.

Of course the only car to really be considered is a pure sale car from an insurance company or know someone that had one totaled and have them find out the buy back value and buy it that way. Most Copart exotics are from individuals or companies that “dress” up the car to flip for more. Your going to be bidding against auto recyclers and now a bunch of average how’s trying to replicate the YouTube builders that are on this exotic car rebuild kick.

You are never going to get into the car any cheaper then buying a no stories clean title car, and you will never get near what you have in it back. There are very few exceptions, there have been people that have gained relatively cheap entry into exotics because a heck of a deal came along at the right time, but it’s very unlikely.

13. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Cigarzman likes this.
  14. I am in a very similar situation right now with front end damage (and also some minor rear damage to diffuser) and I just got estimate for $93,000 from certified Ferrari body shop.

15. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Do you have photos of the damage?

Ray

16. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    Wow! How wrong can you be? This situation has really turned around 180 within last year. 458 is probably the smartest buy right now as the prices are steadily climbing up for reasons we all know.

But buying a totaled car is a whole different story. You really gotta know what you are getting into. Might be quite a headache.

17. superfluous

superfluous Karting

Oct 4, 2020
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Gabe
    I feel like unless this is what you do for a living, you shouldn't even consider it.