458 - 458 error codes eps, avh, electricity? | FerrariChat

458 458 error codes eps, avh, electricity?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Adamtensta, Nov 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    #1 Adamtensta, Nov 15, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    Now that winter is here, my car is in the garage where I keep it 15 degrees Celsius (60F) warm, but outside its close to zero (32F). I go down to the car once every other week and just keep it running for a few minutes but I've noticed that everytime I do that it gives me tons of error messages, and also, the exhaust usually goes very loud in the beginning and then after a few seconds it goes mute, but when I get these messages it doesn't go mute. However, after turning it off and then on again, everything is normal again. No error messages, and the exhaust works like normal ie goes mute after a few seconds.

Has anyone had this issue before? I've not had this issue during summer time where it sometimes been 1-2 weeks in between.

Below is a video that shows it. Also, as you can see it seems like it's a bit slow on firing up the engine. Should I put in a battery charger?

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  2. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    Connected the oem charger but only the power led is lighting up, none of the other three leds (failure, half battery, full battery). Is that How's supposed to be?

3. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Adam,

Had the exact same thing happening to me once, even have a video somewhere in my cloud. In my particular case, dealer diagnosis was a nearly dead battery, and I have it plugged in ALL of the time (green light on 90% of the time).

Car had trouble waking up, displaying accurate fuel info and the “electrical failure - go to dealer” warning on. A dying battery throws all sorts of very serious warning codes that are of course false.

I’d recommend checking the battery and if the “charger” is actually working. A faulty unit may not “charge” the battery or even drain it.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

4. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    Ok cool. So it's the battery then? Any idea why my charger don't light up the other leds that it's charging? It only shows a green led on the power one

[​IMG]

5. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    The green LED is the one that stays on the longest. It shows the charge is stable and sufficient.

The yellow LED means the “charger” is working to stabilize energy to the desired level. Usually comes on if you open the car door for instance. You should see the light on the “charger” changing from green to yellow almost immediately. It can come on in other situations, but this one is the easiest to spot.

The red light shows a failure with the unit. It is not working as designed and is either doing nothing to the battery, or is doing it harm.

(In layman’s terms, as I’m just an owner and far from being an expert on electricity or mechanics).

My guess is a dying battery. Mine died this year after nearly 4 years. I had the same symptoms your car displays on the video.

How old is your battery?

Kind regards,

Nuno.

6. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    Ok. My car is from 2013 and guessing the battery has not been replaced...

7. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    If that’s the case, you’re definitely in need of a new battery, Adam. From experience, 458 batteries last 4 years at the most. If yours lasted almost 6 years, count yourself lucky but the time has definitely come to get a new one.

Relax and don’t make anything of those warnings on the screen. Your car is fine and with a fresh battery in place, it will be as good as new.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

8. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    Awesome! Appreciate you taking your time to answer Nuno.

Cheers

9. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Replace your battery, do the start up procedure correctly, and keep it on a battery tender and it will be fine!

Attached Files:

10. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    No problem, Adam. My pleasure! I went through the same and got quite worried about the warnings that turned out to be nothing. Glad I could be of service and spare you from going through the same!

Kind regards,

Nuno.

11. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    Spole with the previous owner. He changed the battery in March this year :/ well will see if I can get the tender to work and then see if a fully charged battery will work better but you're probably right about battery being low and giving strange messages

12. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    You said you go down to visit the car in storage every few weeks and run it a few minutes. This is not a good technique for car storage. The car is better off mechanically to take it when occasion calls for at least a 20 mile spin to lube & properly heat components or better yet once properly stored to leave it alone on the Ctek & over inflated tires until Spring. At times some units will actually shut off in the event of a power failure. Good idea when visiting to unplug and replug the unit. Incidentally for storage the Cytek 7002 is a much better unit than the stock series. Check the multi Chats written on F. Chat for proper storage of you baby. Also remember the weak point of these cars is the Battery. If the battery voltage is down (can't remember the number) it will not be brought back up by the stock Cytek & must be recharged by a regular charger.

up4speed likes this.
  13. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    Thanks for your good input. I actually went and bought a ctek mxs 5.0 and connected it directly to the battery since I don't have an adaptor yet. I put it on agm mode which is not in the pic. It seems like it's stuck on phase 3 though but maybe that's because it's low on battery. Not sure I did it right though...

PS. Since ctek is a Swedish brand, where I live, they are dirt cheap here compared to the US.

Will leave it like this till tomorrow Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    Just to update for future reference, I bought a ctek mxs5.0 and after 12 hours it's fully charged again. Seems like it was really low on battery and the oem tender didn't have the power to charge it up to normal level, hence the mxs5.0 which seems to be able to get the job done. It was stuck on stage 3 for probably 8 hours. Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Adam,

When you bought the new CTEK charger, did it come with the Ferrari adaptor too, to connect it to the car’s port?

Kind regards,

Nuno.

16. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    No it did not so I put it directly on the battery. See pic below. Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    Btw, I tried the original charger but didn't work so probably it's broken. I've ordered an adaptor for my ctek to see if the port itself is not working properly

18. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    The AGM mode is the one to use. The Stock Cytek doesn't have AGM or the electronics it to my knowledge. I had battery issues with the stock unit. On the 72002 AGM is the one that has the symbol of the snowflake. The connector can be purchased from E-Bay, but my stock Cytec had a removable connector which I just unsnapped & added to the 7202. Sounds like you've got the situation handled now. Again don't idle your car & don't forget to hyperinflate your tires. I think it's a good idea to place some soap shavings like "Irish Spring" on top & base of ea. tire to discourage mice or rats from making a home. Open one window slightly to encourage some air movement, soft indoor car cover also.

19. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    Thanks for the advice docf. What does hyperinflate wheels mean? Like add more air to it?

20. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Yes Adam- Mich. tires in season are inflated during driving season to 30# front, 29# rear (cold pressure). Check what brand tire you have as normal pressures may vary with brand. Hyper inflate would be to inc. cold pressure by about 10 to 12 # for ea. tire. Obviously deflate to normal cold pressure when car is to be driven.

21. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I agree with every single thing you said, except for one thing. I know it sounds strange, but you are not supposed to automatically select AGM just because it is an AGM battery. I called tech-support for the battery, and the charger to clear it up/ confirm for me. It is a little confusing. AGM setting is more for those cylindrical type designed AGM batteries. I happen to have the interstate battery which actually charges properly on the normal setting even though it is an AGM. The only way to know the proper charger setting, is to see what rate the manufacturer recommends that the battery be charged at. It is usually written on the sticker of the battery. Then you have to compare from the owners manual of the charger to see what each setting charges at. I hope this makes sense? I know it’s a little confusing.

22. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Thank you for sharing, Adam. I’m still using the original Ferrari branded tender, but I’ve just ordered the CTEK MXS 5.0 with the Ferrari adapter as you did, just in case. Heard a lot about OEM tender failures, being a lower placed product in the CTEK range.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

23. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Thank you. Interesting. Did the Rep.say what harmful effects would happen or could happen using the AGM mode on an Interstate? I've used this setup on my Interstate now without issue approx. 1.6 yrs.

24. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    It’s not too much of an issue, it’s just not “optimal”. It may just charge a little faster, or a little slower than optimal. Obviously slower is never an issue, and the fastest these things charge is still SLOW. On the MXS 5.0 it will automatically go into AGM/winter mode when the weather gets cold anyway.

25. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Thanks again. I wish we could just go back to roll up windows.