458 Help removing rear rotors | FerrariChat

458 Help removing rear rotors

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Scott Cole, Nov 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scott Cole

Scott Cole Rookie

Jun 23, 2018
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Scott Cole
    I am replacing my CC rotors with Girodisc rotors for track days and I got the front 2 switched with no issue. The back 2 rotors will not come off! It seems like the parking brake is engaged or something? I’ve attempted to turn it off and they are not budging. Can someone tell me what I’m missing in taking the back rotors off vs the front?? I have used penetrating lube, heat, etc but I really don’t think it’s a rust issue at all. I think it has something to do with parking brake. Please help. Track day is in 2 days. Thanks!

2. drcollie

drcollie Karting

Dec 15, 2013
    #2 drcollie, Nov 14, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
    I don't know Ferrari's specifically as I don't own one (yet), however this is pretty common when the parking brake is electric, assume it is? I have run across this with my Audi's, Porsche and BMW. What will happen if you call a shop is they will tell you that you have to bring it in and hook it up to their computer to release the emergency brake, which is electrically gripping the rear rotor enough that you cannot remove it. However, you don't need that fancy computer to back the emergency brake pucks off the rotor, all you need is a spare 12v battery, in my case I use the one off my motorcycle or garden tractor.

Find the electrical connector that goes to the electric rear parking brake and separate the connector plug. You will see two wire terminals inside the connector that go to the Emergency brake. Grab some electrical wire or alligator clips and hook up to your 12v battery one to hot, one to ground. Then on the bare opposite ends of the wires energize the contacts inside the plug to the emergency brake and you will instantly hear the motor run the puck, either backwards or forwards. You want backwards to fully retract. If its running forward just reverse the wires. Once the pucks are run fully back, you can easily pull the rotors.

If you don't have a spare 12v battery, you may get enough power out of a simple 9v battery like you have in your smoke detectors, it should probably be strong enough to do the job.

Good luck - Duane

Viperjoe likes this.
  3. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    You probably need to release tension on the electronic parking brake shoes inside the back part. There are also two fixing screws that hold the rotor to the hub. I'm attaching some documentation which might help you.

Ray

Attached Files:

4. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    #4 RayJohns, Nov 14, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
    You got the right idea there. On the Ferrari there is a manual crank affair, which you can use to defeat the parking brake also. It's a rod which goes in through a hidden hole back there. The owner's manual shows how to do it in the emergency service section as I remember. If the car is powered up, it naturally is always trying to enable the E-brake so the car doesn't accidentally roll down a hill, etc.

Ray

5. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
  6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Put the car in carwash mode.

Start the car.
    Put it in 1st.
    Put it in neutral
    Turn engine off
    Immediately turn car on WITHOUT starting it.
    Turn car off

Car can now roll and all brakes are released.

If the brake is still on at this point, just pull the P brake handle and it should release the drums.

The car has two p brake systems so to speak. One is the drums and the other is a gearbox lock the engages both forward and reverse. The latter is the one that is engaged when you shut the car off in first. The rear drum brake can be fully disengaged by the P handle once the car is in carwash mode.

This is what I recall from my 458 days, and this is still how it works on the 488 and Pista. They just use a set of small pads on the disc rather than a heavy centre drum.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

RayJohns likes this.
  7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Did you by any chance try and weigh those new rotors? Would like to know what they weigh.

8. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    You may also back off (loosen) the emergency brake torx bolts. There is two per side; I had to do this to move the car when the battery in my Pista died.

9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    It's a totally different system. The Pista does not have a drum brake. When I did the CCST discs, it was very easy on both Pista and 488. No need to loosen anything on the Pista. Just pull the P lever to release the parking brake after putting it in carwash.

And like I said, the 458 releases brakes that way too, they are just drums.

Art138 likes this.